Pulse One Hygrometer & Vpd Monitor

• Thread starter JWM2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
You’re doing a good job bro. If someone wants to grow as you do that’s perfectly fine.

Should folks just ignore newer technology? Or should we try it out and see and report our findings?

I’m just delivering my opinion.

If you don’t buy it that’s ok. I’m not asking you or anyone else to. I’m just saying for me it’s been a revelation. Take it for what it’s worth.

But you can’t simply dismiss it.

You’re ok not knowing your VPD and I’m ok with you not knowing your VPD. What I’m not ok with is not knowing my VPD and thus I have a tool to take those measurements for me.

Tools are just that. They help you achieve a desired result quicker and easier and that’s all.

Sure you can hammer in a nail with a rock but a hammer really does make the job easier. But it’s ok to use a rock.

Last edited:
3 balls

3 balls

Pretty cool technology, $199 doesn't seem outrageous if you're into gadgets. For me, referencing a VPD chart and adjusting your environment accordingly is less drama and free. I did like the review though.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Pretty cool technology, $199 doesn't seem outrageous if you're into gadgets. For me, referencing a VPD chart and adjusting your environment accordingly is less drama and free. I did like the review though.

I thought that too. I was wrong. My environmental conditions change slightly from day to day and through the seasons. I thought I was on point. I was not. Since getting these units to review I have realized that referencing a chart is not as foolproof as it might seem and the results have shown to be effective. But if you’re dialed in then that’s great.

Like I said it’s not for everyone. And I was skeptical as well. So much so I had compared them to cheap hygrometers I picked up on amazon for a fraction of the price. I look back upon that post and laugh. I had no idea.

3 balls

3 balls

Since getting these units to review I have realized that referencing a chart is not as foolproof as it might seem
VPD is VPD, it's cool that these units do the math for you but the calculations come out the same. If this thing could talk to my thermostat or dehues that would be something else. ;)

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I thought that too. I was wrong. My environmental conditions change slightly from day to day and through the seasons. I thought I was on point. I was not. Since getting these units to review I have realized that referencing a chart is not as foolproof as it might seem and the results have shown to be effective. But if you’re dialed in then that’s great.

Like I said it’s not for everyone. And I was skeptical as well. So much so I had compared them to cheap hygrometers I picked up on amazon for a fraction of the price. I look back upon that post and laugh. I had no idea.

I feel ya bro. I felt the same way. Even when i was breaking my arm patting my back after my first harvest. However i fell for the ad that popped up on the edge of this website. Figured i would try it out. At $200 it was about the same as some of the stuff i sponsor on kickstarter. Some pay off, some do not. This one is a winner in my opinion. I am just now starting my next grow so i will be posting more as I go. However in the meantime i have been dialing it in for the grow cabinet and liked what i saw so much i ordered a second for the flower cabinet.

The chart below begins the day i received the first unit. It show me trying to maintain my humidity with a standard room humidifier. The swings you see are it running out of water and or my fans kicking in because of high temp or humidity.

After i ordered a new humidifier that i could set the percentage of humidification with a huge 1.5 gallon res; i am able to establish and maintain steady numbers as evidenced by the end of the chart to the right. As you can see it took a couple of days to get everything dialed in, but it is now reasonably steady. The minute jumping you see in the ending is the fans kicking in to maintain temp. The RH% adjustment on the front of the humidifier is not exact but it does shut off within 1-2 percentage points. I just kept watching the pulse unit that was at canopy height and making small adjustments to the humidifier settings..

Upload 2019 3 28 22 52 34

OPOLAR Cool Mist Digital Ultrasonic Humidifier,5.8L/1.53gal Large Capacity,

Upload 2019 3 28 23 1 6

Here is the new unit in the flower cabinet with the old humidifier. It is obvious i will have to purchase another humidifier on payday. However, since this is the flower cabinet, I think the RH is allowed to be a bit lower and the more mature plants "should" be able to handle mild swings in humidity. Huuuuummmmm $60 for peace of mind. I have some time to think about it. The flower cabinet will be empty for another 3 or 4 weeks.

Upload 2019 3 28 23 9 22

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You’re doing a good job bro. If someone wants to grow as you do that’s perfectly fine.

Should folks just ignore newer technology? Or should we try it out and see and report our findings?

I’m just delivering my opinion.

If you don’t buy it that’s ok. I’m not asking you or anyone else to. I’m just saying for me it’s been a revelation. Take it for what it’s worth.

But you can’t simply dismiss it.

You’re ok not knowing your VPD and I’m ok with you not knowing your VPD. What I’m not ok with is not knowing my VPD and thus I have a tool to take those measurements for me.

Tools are just that. They help you achieve a desired result quicker and easier and that’s all.

Sure you can hammer in a nail with a rock but a hammer really does make the job easier. But it’s ok to use a rock.

You are right! I spoke out of turn. Sorry.

Galvatron

Galvatron

Nice review. Too bad the device is cloud based. I was ready to get one but I don't like the idea of someone knowing the IP address of my grow room. Does anyone know if there is an alternative that does not connect to "Big Brother?"

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Nice review. Too bad the device is cloud based. I was ready to get one but I don't like the idea of someone knowing the IP address of my grow room. Does anyone know if there is an alternative that does not connect to "Big Brother?"

I do not. All these devices are cloud based. I’m not sure there’s any risk however. Unless you label your meters “marijuana garden in illegal state” I’m just not sure anyone would go through the hassle. For me the only downside of having a cloud based service is the fact that if the company goes under so does their service.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I do not. All these devices are cloud based. I’m not sure there’s any risk however. Unless you label your meters “marijuana garden in illegal state” I’m just not sure anyone would go through the hassle. For me the only downside of having a cloud based service is the fact that if the company goes under so does their service.

JWM2 is correct. I have been in IT for 35+ years. If you are really concerned there are ways to spoof your IP, just search "the google". Lots of folks do it for lots of reasons. You are not alone.

Personally I like biggie, smalls & tupac :badboy:

To each their own.... aaaahhhhh the spice of life :fire:

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Ok a few more days in the books and things have really taken off. Growth is off the charts with no signs of deficiency in sight. I’m having to chop the tops and leaders every other day to keep them from growing into the t-5 light bulbs. Just waiting for more flowering space to get freed up so we can get these bushes rocking and rollin.

The Pulse One has really helped make this possible. I thought I had things dialed in correctly but just a hair off can really make a big difference. With proper perspiration the available micro and macro nutrients get taken up as they should and little issues I was having before have all disappeared. No more burned leaf tips from overferting and no more calcium or magnesium deficiency either. Stems have gone from purple to green and new growth feels as soft as a babies bottom.

Again kudos to Pulse for making a solid product with one very key feature that will help just about anyone get to the next level. I’m going to talk to them and see if they’d like to sponsor the photo of the month contest here and maybe do some random giveaways as well. I feel this is one of the best kept secrets I’ve stumbled across in quite a while.

I’ll post some pics here shortly. Been too busy and haven’t had the energy lately to do much on my days off. Pounding the pavement during the day drains it out of me so by the time I get home I’m ready for bed.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Something I didn’t quite get about VPD in the beginning was I thought that based on your VPD you need to change the feeding and watering pattern. Well that’s only partly true. In reality you need to dial in your parameters in your grow to get back into the sweet spot so they’ll take what you’re feeding them. Too dry and yes they’ll need more water but in reality the best course of action is to raise the humidity instead of giving them more water. Having the plants in the correct environmental zone makes a big difference in growth, quality and in the end yield.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Ok I’ve totally changed my mind on the Pulse One. After using it for a few more days I must say this thing is a god send. Seriously. To be able to monitor your VPD is a game changer. The ideal VPD is between 1.0 and 1.5 and I’ve found my grow going outside this range on numerous occasions. I’ve since incorporated a dehumidifier that I can control remotely from anywhere so if I see my VPD dip down below 1.0 I can crank it up and wham I’m back in the zone. And my plants are absolutely loving it. I’m getting ideal growth now where I was struggling in the past. My plants are growing so quickly they need to be trimmed, topped, bent or twisted on a daily basis to keep them in check. I had no idea my VPD was so far out of range at various times of the day. I now have soft supple growth in every corner of my rack from top to bottom. My plants are perspiring like they should and eating up nutrients like there’s no tomorrow.

I’ve always been a big proponent of dialing in your grow environment and this handy tool makes that possible on a whole nother level. Is it worth $200? Last week I would have said no there’s no way. Today I stand corrected. It is absolutely worth the money. Sure it would be nice to get one cheaper. I think at $99 these would be in every grow space in the country and maybe world. But for now I’m a firm believer even at the $199 price tag.

These are available on thegrowingshop.com as well as the getpulse.co website. Well done Pulse One, well done!

Hope this helps someone...
Upload 2019 4 11 21 49 11

UC Quest

UC Quest

I purchased 3 of them and they arrived yesterday. I set up all three within the hour. Simple easy peazy set up !!!

I can now see my rooms environment on my cellphone and Ipad regardless where I am. It even sends me an email to let me know if the rooms environment is outside the parameters I have set it up to. The humidity got too high with lights out, so I got an email bringing to my attention this. How cool is that …

I knew my room environments are off. I have been researching for the last month on VPD, and how important it is. These pulse sensors are telling me exactly how my room environment is at real time, what I need to do to correct them, without me even having to go into the rooms to check out conditions.

I run sealed rooms with C02 enrichment, so these pulse devices are really going to help me to dial my rooms in, to get the maximum benefit from my C02 enrichment.

These sensors will for sure help me dial my rooms in so my high performance engine (grow rooms) are firing on all cylinders at peak performance to get the maximum horsepower (yield) possible. These pulse devices are like having an onboard computer monitoring every aspect of my grow. I am very excited in having these in my rooms.

These devices are really amazing and a dream come true for us Growers.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
So I picked one up and I have to say I like it.
So I picked one up and I have to say I like it.

Glad you like it. I am happy that i was actually able to help someone else!

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to answer. 🍻

p.s. important tip: make sure to keep the unit at the same height as the tops of your plants.

canothink5

canothink5

Glad you like it. I am happy that i was actually able to help someone else!

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to answer. 🍻
Do you know of temp RH combo that doesn't make the VPD flux so much when the dehumidifier cycles?
Do I just need a better dehumidifier?

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Do you know of temp RH combo that doesn't make the VPD flux so much when the dehumidifier cycles?
Do I just need a better dehumidifier?

You will need to find some way to control the heat and RH. I use AC Infinity CLOUDLINE T4, to control environment in each of my two cabinets.

I have found that those humidifiers that can be set for a specific percentage are the most useful. The other option would be use a humidity controller. With those you need a unit that will power on in a mode that is useful. A lot have safety features that require manual intervention and are not functional.

🍻

p.s. here is one of my charts for the grow cabinet for the last 24 hours. I have opened the cabinet four times today. Three just for a check and once to add water, etc. It should be easy to determine what times those were. I have not touched any of the preset on my twin t4's in two weeks. My target VPD for the point in the grow is 2.0.

Last edited:
B

Burned Haze

You will need to find some way to control the heat and RH. I use AC Infinity CLOUDLINE T4, to control environment in each of my two cabinets.

I have found that those humidifiers that can be set for a specific percentage are the most useful. The other option would be use a humidity controller. With those you need a unit that will power on in a mode that is useful. A lot have safety features that require manual intervention and are not functional.

🍻

p.s. here is one of my charts for the grow cabinet for the last 24 hours. I have opened the cabinet four times today. Three just for a check and once to add water, etc. It should be easy to determine what times those were. I have not touched any of the preset on my twin t4's in two weeks. My target VPD for the point in the grow is 2.0.

View attachment 934335

Why 2.0 vpd ?
I would think In flower you want 1-1.5 vpd

I would Get a Swamp cooler instead of a humidifier (400 watts example and they kick ass, I use my quest to control the humidity down since it’s so powerful it wants everything very high humidity , Cheaper than a ac and humidity solver)

Last edited by a moderator:
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Why 2.0 vpd ?
I would think In flower you want 1-1.5 vpd

I would Get a Swamp cooler instead of a humidifier (400 watts example and they kick ass, I use my quest to control the humidity down since it’s so powerful it wants everything very high humidity , Cheaper than a ac and humidity solver)

Right now 2.0 because of their size <30 days old. As you can see it bounces between 1.5 & 2.5. For now that works. After i up the PPM to 400-0425 (now 250) this weekend I will also lower the VPD setting. I usually try and keep it between 1 & 1.5. The problem with getting closer to 1.0 is that i then have to deal with condensation collection. I have drip trays under each rez that i drain nightly as needed. I also have to make sure no dropletts develop on the leaves and create mini-magnifying glasses and burn pin-holes in the leaves if not destroy them outright.

As for the swamp cooler; agreed! However i have the opposite problem. The air here is usually around 30-35% RH most of the year, which is comfortable for humans but not for growing (at least until time to harvest). . The other problem for me is that i am a cabinet grower. I wish i could convert my 10x10 space to a full grow room; Or two.

🍻 😎

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom