Purging bho with seedling mat?

• Thread starter OCKushCollector
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OCKushCollector

OCKushCollector

This will be my first time making oil. I have everything down, but couldn't find any clear info on this purging method. I'm trying to work with what I have available and I seems like a seedling mat would be ideal due to the low heat. How long should I place the Pyrex on the mat to purge the remaining butane, after the hot water bath? Ideally I would like a shatter texture but don't mind if I end up with a different texture. Also, would you advise mixing strains for bho runs? I didn't think about this and mixed trim and buds from 3 different strains while trimming last night.

OCKushCollector

OCKushCollector

Would it be beneficial to leave it on the heat mat overnight? I would imagine it stays around 80*

OGONLY

OGONLY

Seedling heat mat is not hot enough. You want to shoot for between 120-140 F. Some people use an electric skillet on low, or a crock pot on low. Make sure the dish doesn't get too hot though before you leave it on unattended for a period of time.

I just double boil mine with one larger Pyrex dish filled 1/2 with water and another smaller Pyrex dish with the goods floating on the water of the larger Pyrex on the stove over a very low flame. I do this for about 4 hours, making sure not to let the water boil. If it does its too hot. I try and keep a close eye on the water because even on the lowest setting on my stove it boils after a while. Works like a charm for me.

OGONLY

OGONLY

Oh yeah, make sure it has been doing its thing outside for 15-20 mins at least before bringing it in and putting on the stove. Use the ventilation hood on high as a precaution.

OCKushCollector

OCKushCollector

Oh yeah, make sure it has been doing its thing outside for 15-20 mins at least before bringing it in and putting on the stove. Use the ventilation hood on high as a precaution.

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful. I do have a crock pot I could use, although I'm not sure how I could fit a Pyrex dish in there. Could you go from the Pyrex to parchment paper, then sit that in the crock pot?

SCFSYNDICATE760

SCFSYNDICATE760

thats about what i do...dont really need pyrex at all...just blast into a parchment bowl n float it on hot water...
heat transfers quicker and will purge wayyyyy faster...

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
i put it on a seedling heat mat doubled up. it gets hotter that way.

OCKushCollector

OCKushCollector

Found a Pyrex small enough to fit in my crockpot. I will put almost boiling water in the crock pot dish and float the Pyrex on top of the water while heating the pot on low.

I have all my supplies ready but a little sketched out. There is a water heater about 15-20 feet away from where I will be running it OUTSIDE in my back yard. Am I safe? I have about 4 oz to blast.

Medusa

Medusa

Trichome Engineer
Supporter
i put it on a seedling heat mad doubled up. it gets hotter that way.
u mean 2 mats because u break the wires if you bend them ......been there done that and there not cheap

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
u mean 2 mats because u break the wires if you bend them ......been there done that and there not cheap

Nope Dusa I've got a large 4 tray mat that i gently fold over and leave a nice large bend on the folded end.
fits a pyrex casserole dish nicely

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
Found a Pyrex small enough to fit in my crockpot. I will put almost boiling water in the crock pot dish and float the Pyrex on top of the water while heating the pot on low.

I have all my supplies ready but a little sketched out. There is a water heater about 15-20 feet away from where I will be running it OUTSIDE in my back yard. Am I safe? I have about 4 oz to blast.

With that amount you should be fine. Just make sure to do it on a day with a little breeze.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I just blast into a container sitting in hot tap water, so there are no elecrical devices involved, except for one or more fans dispersing the butane in a direction away from all ignition sources. When the water cools down from the evaporation, I just replace with more hot water from the tap, but never have to replace it more than once to boil off all visable butane rapidly.

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
I just blast into a container sitting in hot tap water, so there are no elecrical devices involved, except for one or more fans dispersing the butane in a direction away from all ignition sources. When the water cools down from the evaporation, I just replace with more hot water from the tap, but never have to replace it more than once to boil off all visable butane rapidly.
I do the same thing, but then after I've caped off the liquid and its just goop I put it on my seedling mat.

Top Bottom