Purple Leaf Midribs

• Thread starter Kepp89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kepp89

Kepp89

hi, lovely humans.

I have an indica plant that’s just under 30 days young. She’s been in 68-75 degree temps consistently; 30-60% humidity. Lights are 18/6 on/off.

I admittedly over watered and stressed the plant early on. Was in a styrofoam coffee cup then transplanted to a solo cup then to another solo cup that was clean, then to a 1-gallon fabric pot and now she’s in a 3-gallon. All of that in under 28 days. Yikes.

I was watering every other day but that wasn’t a good idea, either. I haven’t watered since Friday morning and now the soil is feeling dry so water needs to happen tomorrow when lights turn on, assuming I can get some assistance to diagnose the discoloration on the midrib/vein of the leaves.

I’ve attached photos; please notice the midrib being purple. I have calmag and the nutes combo box but I’m using an organic soil so do I maybe need to just treat the soil/leaves with compost tea? I’ve ONLY been using pH 6.8 water with no added nutes to this point.

You may also notice some stems are purple — some areas this purple was like a snake wrapped around the stalk but it’s since fallen off akin to a snake shedding its skin. It seems like it was wrapping around the stall trying to choke it but now it’s fallen off like snake skin. Pretty neat.

Not sure if relevant but some fan leaves feel like leather. Maybe due to my humidifier being too close? I’ve been rotating the pot though and haven’t noticed that to be a location leaf type issue.

I was thinking it’s low on phosphorus(?) and some bleaching is starting to occur, it seems.

Any help is much appreciated!

Purple leaf midribs
Purple leaf midribs 2
Purple leaf midribs 3
Kepp89

Kepp89

Pics under regular (white) light only...
Thanks. I have my tent in the corner of a basement and there’s no light over there. Can I turn on a white light just before lights out so when grown lights are off I’ll only have the white light, and then take the picture? White light would just be a basic utility light with an aluminum dome. The slide on/off switch, nothing fancy grow relative.

Dan789

Dan789

Yes, regular light that way the colors will be represented more realistically and we can comment based on the correct visual information your plant is showing us. You can also just use a flash, same situation, at the beginning of lights out.

Kepp89

Kepp89

Yes, regular light that way the colors will be represented more realistically and we can comment based on the correct visual information your plant is showing us. You can also just use a flash, same situation, at the beginning of lights out.
>At the beginning of lights out.

I’ll be back with pictures at 815 am, thanks Dan789!

Kepp89

Kepp89

Thanks. I can see some white dots I imagine wpm in its early stages? — I have a replacement oscillating fan coming soon. The dots seem to pop up when the oscillating fan turns off (it’s a junk fan) no matter how many standing fans I use / where I aim them. You guys weren’t kidding when you say oscillating fan is a big thing to have to prevent dead air spots.

The discolored midribs seem better now but still look spooky to me — on Wednesday I watered with 3 cups of 6.8 ph and added a tablespoon of compost tea. Nothing on the leaves, all into the soil. Still have her in a 5-gallon fabric pot.

Pics might not do justice — I think I need a flashlight with me next time to take better pictures but maybe these are good.

850BA76A CCDB 49E9 9BB2 E6FFEAF1B71A
D8586E9A 8903 4A4A 81D3 0C372A9E1C0C
EA679E65 2229 468C AFDA 0D09642A4367
1AFC7DAA F3B1 41DB 9280 2D1CA843D4E8
813EB662 CE68 49EE A7CC EDBF2ECD4B8F
Homesteader

Homesteader

It is just genetics. Some plants possess a (red/purple) pigment in the leaves called anthocyanin while others don't. Sometimes heavy blue or red light can effect the amount of anthocyanin that is produced (in plants that have the genes) and it looks like you have a healthy dose of both with your light.

Kepp89

Kepp89

It is just genetics. Some plants possess a (red/purple) pigment in the leaves called anthocyanin while others don't. Sometimes heavy blue or red light can effect the amount of anthocyanin that is produced (in plants that have the genes) and it looks like you have a healthy dose of both with your light.

Thank you that’s what I was hoping. All the visual issues I was finding online only had the purple aspect.

And the very bottom small leaf (not pictured)- one of the first 4 to pop up are turning yellow. That’s normal, right? I forget the name of it but coulda sworn that’s the one some growers remove and some growers let them drop into the soil

Homesteader

Homesteader

It can be normal if it isn't getting much light. The plant looks healthy so I would assume so.

Latest posts

Top Bottom