Purple stems from genetics or bigger problems?

• Thread starter Southernuncle21
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Southernuncle21

Southernuncle21

Original skunk smelled like a skunk just sprayed something near by. It's acrid and a smell you cannot hide. When you hit it, it expands. It hits hard and lasts long. You'll know it if you find it.
That's the case. Then I can guarantee you 100% leading all the way up from last year when I moved from the south. There is definitely that strain around. Cuz there's plenty times you're going down these old backcountry roads and that humid south and you can clearly smell the skunkiness. And we all know it isn't a skunk but a plant. I'll see if I can't get a hold of some of my buddies down south. See if they might have any idea where to get some.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

I have a bag seed that is what is supposed to be Carolina blue. If I'm not mistaken from a seedling, it had nice healthy green stock and stems. Throughout the grow. I noticed maybe one or two leaves had a couple purple stems but all in all she grew very healthily. Now. Granted the fan leaves are not super big which could be genetics. She is kind of short. I'm going into flower and it's only 4 ft tall. Of course I have it bushed out which that is due to LST. I've never had this problem where it had regular green stems and right here at pre flower going into flower. My fan leaf stems and some of the stocks are turning purple. My plants leaves are not dark green but they never have been. They've been like a medium green. There's no dead on the plant. I inspected all of the plant and I see no other signs of stress or damage. Not too sure if the low height or growth on this plant is genetics because this is a first time I've grown it. Like I said it's from bag seed so I have no idea about the genetics. I also can't find much on the Carolina Blue dream strain online so I have no references. Can you guys please take a look at some of the pictures I'm about to upload and see if y'all can see any type of deficiency with this plant? I have grown for the last 5 to 6 years outdoor and indoor and believe it or not. This is the first time I've ever had a plant turn purple going into flower like this. Usually the purple strains I have grown typically have purple stems at a very young age and veg. I have seven more plants outside with this plant in the same ground. These are all planted in ground. Exact same compost I used for planting them in the ground. All of them get the exact same nutrients exact. Same water on my other plants. Besides one are all healthy and green. The one other plant I have out here with purple stems. I do know is by genetics. Before my plant goes into full flower. Can anybody see if this is a deficiency or a mold problem pathogen problem or if you think it's genetics?
This is from the same seed batch,same plot in clay,ammended with 5 year old horse,chicken,cow,pig manure . Roughly 2nd week september. Out of 27 plants ,3 or roughly 10% went purple ,all healthy and no cold nights. All had roughly the same potency and yield. I have plants in now with purple petioles and find this common in potent strains in or outdoor but that is no indication the plants will be purple. In summary, if it isn't caused by environmental conditions then purple is genetic.

20181014 144204
20180930 114455 HDR
Southernuncle21

Southernuncle21

theres sweet skunks and the more pungent skunk strains. I like there pure skunk https://www.peakseedsbc.com/f1Hybrids.html its low on the sweet side.

I tried all of theres, or most. skunk is a house favorite, and the "skunkberry".

theres always more strains than tthem .

theres sweet skunks and the more pungent skunk strains. I like there pure skunk https://www.peakseedsbc.com/f1Hybrids.html its low on the sweet side.

I tried all of theres, or most. skunk is a house favorite, and the "skunkberry".

theres always more strains than time.
I'm going to check them out, thanks for the link! Do you know where I can find pure landrace seeds?

R

RipVanWinkie

I have a bag seed that is what is supposed to be Carolina blue. If I'm not mistaken from a seedling, it had nice healthy green stock and stems. Throughout the grow. I noticed maybe one or two leaves had a couple purple stems but all in all she grew very healthily. Now. Granted the fan leaves are not super big which could be genetics. She is kind of short. I'm going into flower and it's only 4 ft tall. Of course I have it bushed out which that is due to LST. I've never had this problem where it had regular green stems and right here at pre flower going into flower. My fan leaf stems and some of the stocks are turning purple. My plants leaves are not dark green but they never have been. They've been like a medium green. There's no dead on the plant. I inspected all of the plant and I see no other signs of stress or damage. Not too sure if the low height or growth on this plant is genetics because this is a first time I've grown it. Like I said it's from bag seed so I have no idea about the genetics. I also can't find much on the Carolina Blue dream strain online so I have no references. Can you guys please take a look at some of the pictures I'm about to upload and see if y'all can see any type of deficiency with this plant? I have grown for the last 5 to 6 years outdoor and indoor and believe it or not. This is the first time I've ever had a plant turn purple going into flower like this. Usually the purple strains I have grown typically have purple stems at a very young age and veg. I have seven more plants outside with this plant in the same ground. These are all planted in ground. Exact same compost I used for planting them in the ground. All of them get the exact same nutrients exact. Same water on my other plants. Besides one are all healthy and green. The one other plant I have out here with purple stems. I do know is by genetics. Before my plant goes into full flower. Can anybody see if this is a deficiency or a mold problem pathogen problem or if you think it's genetics?
Like my kids one was born shorter than the other and more prone to sunburn but both came from the same stock. Seeds can grow almost the same and others have different traits. I wouldn’t worry because your plants look healthy and robust, I think your overthinking the whole scenario.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

theres always more strains than time.
Did you like any of the strains? I have dealt with peak in the past and found the service excellent, I bought many strains of his seeds and I even bought clones in the mail. A great guy and honest but I found potency lacking and nothing worth running again.

Southernuncle21

Southernuncle21

Like my kids one was born shorter than the other and more prone to sunburn but both came from the same stock. Seeds can grow almost the same and others have different traits. I wouldn’t worry because your plants look healthy and robust, I think your overthinking the whole scenario.
Sadly I over think things, story of my life! Everybody's input and experience has helped me out tremendously.thanks for your input

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

@Southernuncle21 what has your night time temps been? Colder nights or even a 15f-20f drop in temps between daytime highs and night time lows can bring out the purples.
I live in northeastern ohio where temps drop pretty low & have experienced purple in most of my plants. I had a buddy who grows indoor who purposely dropped temps to get purple plants.

Bib4tuna

Bib4tuna

I grew GDP indoors in the middle of the winter specifically so I could induce that color change. The effects can be rather awesome in appearance. Cheers to the purple strains!
I agree just love the look of purple buds. GDP is a strain I really been wanting to try. Remember it was pretty super popular strain:

AirHammer

AirHammer

Beautiful Christmas tree. What strain are you running? It looks like a sativa hybrid
correct, F1 hybrid, skunk x purple kush. when they grow huge the pheno is usually leaning more towards the skunk side, the kush stay low and stout. But its no exact science they might taste more kushy weal see.

I can hardly wait to see her full of colas.

Southernuncle21

Southernuncle21

correct, F1 hybrid, skunk x purple kush. when they grow huge the pheno is usually leaning more towards the skunk side, the kush stay low and stout. But its no exact science they might taste more kushy weal see.

I can hardly wait to see her full of cola

I can hardly wait to see her full of colas.
Please share photos when she flowers. To this day I still am amazed when they go into the flower stretch and explode with growth.

Top Bottom