Purple stems from genetics or bigger problems?

• Thread starter Southernuncle21
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
strider26554

strider26554

If I can find genuine seeds from the same or very similar genetics of the super skunk from the '70s and '80s and '90s, I will definitely let you know. I was born in the mid-80s and I didn't start discovering cannabis until the 2000s. So having a comparison of what skunk was originally to what skunk was when I came up to what skunky is today. I'm unsure. I do have a couple of older hippie friends from the error skunk was popular in. They might be able to let me know if it's true skunk or not. But if I am able to find the skunk genetics and it's very similar or the same as the original skunk, I will definitely let you know where to get the seeds.
i grow a very old school skunk strain, and i did grow back in the early eighties when skunk was king, the strain i am growing now definitely competes with the strongest of skunks i used to grow. the smell and aroma changes throughout the grow but it is unmistakable.. and can be almost overwhelming at times. these plants have VRY purple stems that seem to begin very early in the plants growth. the clones i cut this year had purple out of th gate. and i only cut from the best queens i have and only when they are at the peak of health. but the skunk strain is not the only indica strain that displays this trait, and in fact some sativa strains also have pronounced purpling.

AirHammer

AirHammer

i grow a very old school skunk strain, and i did grow back in the early eighties when skunk was king, the strain i am growing now definitely competes with the strongest of skunks i used to grow. the smell and aroma changes throughout the grow but it is unmistakable.. and can be almost overwhelming at times. these plants have VRY purple stems that seem to begin very early in the plants growth. the clones i cut this year had purple out of th gate. and i only cut from the best queens i have and only when they are at the peak of health. but the skunk strain is not the only indica strain that displays this trait, and in fact some sativa strains also have pronounced purpling.
that sounds like stuff I get, no glorified marketing and it smells like day old cat pee, yes quite bad. but the buzz euphoric and high af. Im out and sometimes I catch myself smiling just cause it feels good.

when you try the good skunk stuff you'll always go back to it =)

AirHammer

AirHammer

Nice to hang out in the purps club with you all this year 😁

the long tall mama in my garden is showing more and more purple. Ive a feeling it will carry on through the buds later on.

P

Psy3784

Beautiful plant, and It's obviously genetics in your case, as my ladies have also turned purple but only started during pre flower and stem striping and the stock is purple like yours as well. Mine I think are purple haze ( seeds from last year random unknown male). I have one thats 13 feet tall another thats 10 feet and one 6-8 footer. Yes you should see some purple maybe even reds in your buds. Can't wait to see your lady when she's ready for harvest good luck and grats on the soon to be gorgeous flower. :)

AirHammer

AirHammer

yea genetical for sure.

these are a kush x with skunk 1 (f1 hybrids). we also had some unplanned pollinating going on here last fall. I noticed these 3 beauties had popped up in spring.

good thing I caught them before the dogs did =)

the largest is 13 feet just about. after stretching this week who knows. last year the original seedlings went well into the second story lol. colas will be a couple feet long. some impressive donkey dorks later I imagine.

Screenshot 2022 08 18 015628
20220627 075440
20220817 203825
Last edited:
P

Psy3784

I noticed these 3 had beauties had popped up in the spring..
That's pretty darn awesome! Same thing happened to me this year. Seems, they are some pretty resilient and gorgeous plants after enduring a winter and then some haha

AirHammer

AirHammer

That's pretty darn awesome! Same thing happened to me this year. Seems, they are some pretty resilient and gorgeous plants after enduring a winter and then some haha
My neighbor didn't listen and cull a male I spotted over there before things got crazy. Owell past is past bygones be bygones and all of that. So I will shoot him a bud for a way of thanks. On second thought naaaaaaaaah ;p

Back on purple. The leaves are a much deeper darker shade of green on that mama too. aside from all that that girl so far looks like the winner. but the proof is in the puddin'.

the smallest looks just like a pheno he had over there. despite seeding the females looked nice and dank in the fall.

I wont share him a bud I might point that out to him and say mmmm num num. We weren't on speaking terms a bit but things sorted out, and I'm way off topic.

Oh another plus, his were totally mold resistant late in, I didnt notice a trace as humid and rainy as it was last year (el nino?). hopefully that resilient trait passed in to these girls. I still cant believe my luck, all 3 are fems hehe.

regards

Last edited:
AirHammer

AirHammer

My experience with modern skunk strains is all fruity, no skunk. It's good, but not the road kill variety skunk we used to find. That's been hard to find. If you find it, there's many on this board who will be exploring the same genetics. Keep us posted on that when the time comes.
I know where to get it, the ol school shit. a bank I been using for years. I believe its the super pungent stinky shit, it smells like amonia or kitty pee, quite dank. I used to dislike it until I acquired a taste for it. the high is wonderfully uppity.

P

Psy3784

My neighbor didn't listen and cull a male I spotted over there before things got crazy. Owell past is past bygones be bygones and all of that. So I will shoot him a bud for a way of thanks. On second thought naaaaaaaaah ;p

Back on purple. The leaves are a much deeper darker shade of green on that mama too. aside from all that that girl so far looks like the winner. but the proof is in the puddin'.

the smallest looks just like a pheno he had over there. despite seeding the females looked nice and dank in the fall.

I wont share him a bud I might point that out to him and say mmmm num num. We weren't on speaking terms a bit but things sorted out, and I'm way off topic.

Oh another plus, his were totally mold resistant late in, I didnt notice a trace as humid and rainy as it was last year (el nino?). hopefully that resilient trait passed in to these girls. I still cant believe my luck, all 3 are fems hehe.

regards
Aww ya when they don't listen it kinda sucks but at least you now have 3 awesome plants and mold resistant too that's always a plus. Haha Yeah I wouldnt either! :P I also had a neighbor last year who had males. He lives right behind me so everything I had last year got seeds and powdery mildew. I was not happy at all lol. He also has plants this year but no seeds so im hoping nothing happens.

I did save 26 seeds from my plants last year and they all germed and only 3 were males and I think one might have been hermie, but i lost many to rabbits damn those cute things lol a couple also died and couldn't keep them all so sold some lol. So whatever went on seemed to of payed off I suppose.

Also I missed a part in your last reply that your plant is also 13 feet+? Crazy how this works haha. Do you think she will produce much though? I am thinking mine all will be fairly small. I think the cola on mine broke though. Shes fallen over, so half a foot gone haha but ya shes now past 13 feet for sure in flower but still stretching thinks shes gonna stop now lol I hope, maybe.

Anyway GL with your ladies! :)

Last edited:
Rebeccalovato777

Rebeccalovato777

I have a bag seed that is what is supposed to be Carolina blue. If I'm not mistaken from a seedling, it had nice healthy green stock and stems. Throughout the grow. I noticed maybe one or two leaves had a couple purple stems but all in all she grew very healthily. Now. Granted the fan leaves are not super big which could be genetics. She is kind of short. I'm going into flower and it's only 4 ft tall. Of course I have it bushed out which that is due to LST. I've never had this problem where it had regular green stems and right here at pre flower going into flower. My fan leaf stems and some of the stocks are turning purple. My plants leaves are not dark green but they never have been. They've been like a medium green. There's no dead on the plant. I inspected all of the plant and I see no other signs of stress or damage. Not too sure if the low height or growth on this plant is genetics because this is a first time I've grown it. Like I said it's from bag seed so I have no idea about the genetics. I also can't find much on the Carolina Blue dream strain online so I have no references. Can you guys please take a look at some of the pictures I'm about to upload and see if y'all can see any type of deficiency with this plant? I have grown for the last 5 to 6 years outdoor and indoor and believe it or not. This is the first time I've ever had a plant turn purple going into flower like this. Usually the purple strains I have grown typically have purple stems at a very young age and veg. I have seven more plants outside with this plant in the same ground. These are all planted in ground. Exact same compost I used for planting them in the ground. All of them get the exact same nutrients exact. Same water on my other plants. Besides one are all healthy and green. The one other plant I have out here with purple stems. I do know is by genetics. Before my plant goes into full flower. Can anybody see if this is a deficiency or a mold problem pathogen problem or if you think it's genetics?
I would say genetics my stems turned redish pinkish with my cherry diesel it's very beautiful 😍 I don't see a problem!

AirHammer

AirHammer

Being with the inferior half of our species I have to show off some more. will look cool if those colas fill in completely.

Same plant..the purple people eater..

20220820 122956
AirHammer

AirHammer

Aww ya when they don't listen it kinda sucks but at least you now have 3 awesome plants and mold resistant too that's always a plus. Haha Yeah I wouldnt either! :P I also had a neighbor last year who had males. He lives right behind me so everything I had last year got seeds and powdery mildew. I was not happy at all lol. He also has plants this year but no seeds so im hoping nothing happens.

I did save 26 seeds from my plants last year and they all germed and only 3 were males and I think one might have been hermie, but i lost many to rabbits damn those cute things lol a couple also died and couldn't keep them all so sold some lol. So whatever went on seemed to of payed off I suppose.

Also I missed a part in your last reply that your plant is also 13 feet+? Crazy how this works haha. Do you think she will produce much though? I am thinking mine all will be fairly small. I think the cola on mine broke though. Shes fallen over, so half a foot gone haha but ya shes now past 13 feet for sure in flower but still stretching thinks shes gonna stop now lol I hope, maybe.

Anyway GL with your ladies! :)
my case was a double whammy last year, the PM mold had started to set in a few weeks after learning that they were seeding like crazy. I turfed all of garden contents in the compost heap every last bud :s

I wont even make hash or oil with that, especially not hash. as for oil I was never much of an oiler so that was fine. It was an expensive year for pot to say the least though. you get a better sense of how much you smoke when you have to pay for it.

P

Psy3784

my case was a double whammy last year, the PM mold had started to set in a few weeks after learning that they were seeding like crazy. I turfed all of garden contents in the compost heap every last bud :s

I wont even make hash or oil with that, especially not hash. as for oil I was never much of an oiler so that was fine. It was an expensive year for pot to say the least though. you get a better sense of how much you smoke when you have to pay for it.
Yeah I feel you, I had the same issues lol. It sucks, that's for damn sure. My issue currently is what I think are aphids or white mites? lol they keep sitting on the stock near the buds and so far neem and or peppermint Castile soap have not worked, so I have resorted to the "by hand" method lol and only 1 plant has them .. the one that went and flowered in July, of course. Yeah exactly it sure is pricey stuff lol hoping to save even more money this year lol.

Lady Looks great!! :)

jimijames

jimijames

wow the purple on that girl is becoming very prominent @ day 2 flower hehe.

check out the stem, almost entirely purple....

will it show through in through the flowers? time will tell it always does ;)
My last (and first) lady had purple stems since I can remember. Not sure why.
DSC 0093 1

Latest posts

Top Bottom