Purple Stems Look Like I Need To Increase Cal-mag A Bit Perhaps?

• Thread starter AnselAdams
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Purple petioles are a common trait in quite a few strains. The LP I know tests their hydro block nutrient concentrations and sends plant tissue samples into the lab every week to make sure that plants have what they need. And some strains still have it.

The pinstriping on the stem and brown blotches on the leaves are a sign of phosphorus def though. Could be from underfeeding, lockout, or just too much Ca either binding and forming insoluble compounds with P, or creating too much demand for it as JWM2 said.

I'd stop using the calmag and up the base nutrients a bit, to like 1.5-1.6 ec. Using calmag when you have P def will just exacerbate the problem.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I've grown for decades in Promix and have yet to need to add CalMag or much of anything else. I use Promix, compost/manure, and wood ashes. My stems have always turned purple, but not like the photos shown where the purple is in veins. I find, like has been said earlier, that CalMag is overused along with a lot of other nutrients. A little goes a long way and I have seen a lot more grows screwed up by overfeeding and overthinking the process.

Latest posts

Top Bottom