putting activated carbon in your BHO tube..

• Thread starter sleepyhead
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sleepyhead

so i had the idea of why not put activated carbon from like a petstore in your BHO tube . i thought it would clean the bho more if filtered through a patch of carbon before it went through the filters so as if

butane->(weed|carbon}-> bho goo extremely filtered and extremely dank? :ridinghorse:

I

Inuit

Sounds sound,

Go for it and let us know how it goes!

I've used carbon before in ethanol oil. A quick wash will de-green it a little, but when I soaked some in it for a while it absorbed a lot of the oil as well.

A/I

convex

convex

The carbon (pellet or aquarium grade) is selected for its porosity, the more porous the more surface area available to interact with the medium going through it.

I think you will find that you will lose a lot of resin sticking to the nooks and crannies.

R

Rolln J

doesnt sound like a good idea to me as it would likely absorb oil/thc and might actually leave charcoal flavor in the oil

convex

convex

Good point RJ - no matter how well you rinse carbon there is always that fine powdery dust and am sure it may get through the filter

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

You wash it first .....to remove dust and small particles , then dry it out
Then you load in tube first.... then plant matter 2nd
its to help clean butane..... not the oil!

"ie" Butane pass's thru carbon first then plant matter

R

Rolln J

lol 5 x distilled butane dont need to be charcoal filtered

Y

YoungDizZle

when u dry it out dont it just break to dust and small particles inside again. like clay pepples do every time i dry them?

by your instructions i would have to put carbon in 2nd wording is key but does not seem helpfull to me, just use vector 5x tane.

convex

convex

Ahhh but as my post stated 'no amount of rinsing' ...

Used to keep aquariums for years and have washed pounds at a time - there is still dust.

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

ummm ehhh ahhh going in circles again

if you must use carbon ,,,,
the plant matter will filter the carbon as well if packed correctly

like everyone says just use vector or colibri............

S

sleepyhead

yes of course use vortex gas or colibri .. i was talking about putting the charcol at the extraction point not the fill point of the tube..

this could be nice for some iso wash...... now that i am thinking about it. im down to try and see if this works with bho first ill tell you if i get around to it

P

PureSugar

I think you're gonna end up with a lot of resin getting trapped in the charcoal... but I am curious to see how it works for you. Hey we used to think the world was flat...

yes of course use vortex gas or colibri .. i was talking about putting the charcol at the extraction point not the fill point of the tube..

this could be nice for some iso wash...... now that i am thinking about it. im down to try and see if this works with bho first ill tell you if i get around to it

B

bioguy

No matter how many times a butane is filtered it does not get any cleaner after the second maybe third time. It will always be contaminated...no matter how many xxxxxxx's they put on it. The levels are so low it's probably not important but I see no reason not to try and clean it a bit more.

http://skunkpharmresearch.com/bho-mystery-oil/

Those guys know hash as well (maybe better than anyone). They said, "Even if nothing is present at levels of serious health concern, I would prefer to not have any of that stuff in there, so in addition to fractional distillation using vacuum, we will be experimenting with Bentonite filters" I agree.

They mention using charcoal to filter something on their site somewhere so they know how to use that too but don't mention it for butane. The fact they said bentonite not charcoal leads me to believe thats the direction we should be going.

neverbreak

neverbreak

not a good idea imo, as others have said, ya will lose resin.

neverbreak

B

bioguy

First, most people looking into this wan to put the charcoal above the plant in the tube...no resin lost.

As far as resin lose in the extraction is concerned I suspect its negligible at larger scales.

Butane impurities appear to hover around 15 ppm so an ounce of BHO (produced from 12 cans - 4200 ml - of butane) would have .063 ml of impurities. A gram of charcoal can absorb 1/3 a gram of impurity. Very little cannabinoid would be lost to a gram of charcoal. I make an ounce ever 2 months and I'm tiny by Colorado standards....TINY!

Two$10 million question need answered
1) If the charcoal is above the plant, are impurities captured in the beginning washed out by the butane that flows through later?

2) do the cannabinoids "clog" the charcoal? IE is the charcoal cleaning power being used on both cannabinoids and impurities or just impurities? Are the lost cannabinoids bonded to the charcoal or is it lost because the charcoal is wet with extract? If its just wet who cares. I'll waste 1/3 of a gram if it means I'm smoking less Isoquinoline, 1,2,3,4-tetrahydro, Pyrrolidine, 1-methyl-3-2-spiro or Imidazo(1,2-b)1,2,4, triazine. IDK WTF it is but it sounds scary. At least way more scary than Mary Jane.

I am communicating with Skunk Pharm about this now.

gliders420

gliders420

First, most people looking into this wan to put the charcoal above the plant in the tube...no resin lost.

As far as resin lose in the extraction is concerned I suspect its negligible at larger scales.

Butane impurities appear to hover around 15 ppm so an ounce of BHO (produced from 12 cans - 4200 ml - of butane) would have .063 ml of impurities. A gram of charcoal can absorb 1/3 a gram of impurity. Very little cannabinoid would be lost to a gram of charcoal. I make an ounce ever 2 months and I'm tiny by Colorado standards....TINY!

Two$10 million question need answered
1) If the charcoal is above the plant, are impurities captured in the beginning washed out by the butane that flows through later?

2) do the cannabinoids "clog" the charcoal? IE is the charcoal cleaning power being used on both cannabinoids and impurities or just impurities? Are the lost cannabinoids bonded to the charcoal or is it lost because the charcoal is wet with extract? If its just wet who cares. I'll waste 1/3 of a gram if it means I'm smoking less Isoquinoline, 1,2,3,4-tetrahydro, Pyrrolidine, 1-methyl-3-2-spiro or Imidazo(1,2-b)1,2,4, triazine. IDK WTF it is but it sounds scary. At least way more scary than Mary Jane.

I am communicating with Skunk Pharm about this now.

any more info/results?

Calixylon

Calixylon

As long as your using good quality butane theres no point. Quality butane has virtually no by products. Like others have said your more likely to waste resin trapped in carbon, or get microscopic carbon particles that filter thru your coffee filter if your blasting thru a tube.

If you using low grade materials like fan leaves and low grde sugar trim your oil will turn out waxy and brown no matter how filtered and pure it is. Your better off blasting your oil, letting it purge, then dissoliving into a high grade ethanol do dewax it. Not sure if your trying to turn lead into gold, maybe not, but activated carbon wont do it.

I was a mover, and moved warehouse full of dusted carbon, used in tire manufacturing. That shit gets so fine it went thru my latex gloves. So it will defiently make it thru your filter.

Calixylon

Calixylon

smoking dusted carbon will taste like shit, no wy this would work

Top Bottom