Puzzled By Different Strains Growth Patterns

• Thread starter JackD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

JackD

So I've got Blueberry, Strawberry Kush, and Pineapple Haze.

The Pineapple Haze is supposed to be 70/30 Sativa dom, but it's the shortest plant by far, while the Blueberry, which is supposed to be Indica dom, is growing like crazy.

I switched to flower on 9/21

These are the dates I measured height in inches (each plant listed with PH for pineapple haze, etc)

9/19, 9/22, 9/25, 9/27, 10/1
PH1 - 15, 16, 16, 17, 18
PH2 - 14, 15, 16, 16, 18
PH3 - 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
BB1 - 19, 20, 21, 23, 26
BB2 - 17, 19, 20, 22, 25
BB3 - 20, 21, 23, 26, 30
SK1 - 18, 19, 21, 22, 24
SK2 - 15, 16, 18, 20, 23

As you can see, my pineapple haze plants have only grown about 3 to 4 inches in the past 12 days, while each of the blueberry plants have grown 7 to 10 inches in 12 days.

Any explanations? I expected the Pineapple Haze to be the one I needed to worry about getting too tall.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Different phenos can express variations even the same strain.

J

JackD

Yeah, I've read that with hybrids, some will display more sativa traits and some more indica traits, regardless of which is supposed to be dominant. I guess the thing that seemed so weird to me is that for each strain I'm growing, all the plants of that strain look very similar. So it's not like I've got 1 Pineapple Haze that is short and one that is tall. The 3 of them are my 3 shortest plants, while my 3 blueberry are the 3 tallest plants and the 2 strawberry kush are both in the middle.

It made me wonder if I had mixed up my labeling when I was germinating. But I was very careful, so I don't think so. Of course, my pineapple haze are also the 3 plants I've had some issues with. I dealt with brown patches and yellowing a few weeks ago, which seems to have been resolved by upping nutes and adding CalMag. So maybe they just aren't growing as well because they are more sensitive and had some problems.

I've got clones of all of these plants (100% survival), so this is a good learning experience and I'll be doing another round with the same 3 strains.

Leew421

Leew421

It's also dependant on environment and stress. Could be the PH had a harder time germ? It's a hybrid and will do hybrid stuff.

J

JackD

Some took a little longer than others, but they all germinated within a few days of each other. But yeah, definitely could be stress related. Those PH plants seem to have suffered a little more along the way, since they were the only ones significantly affected when I had deficiencies.
I've already been giving my new clones a very light dose of nutes and cal mag with each watering, to try to avoid the deficiencies I had with my first set of plants. So it will be interesting to see how the next round goes.

J

JackD

Here is a pic. Hard to tell maybe, but 8 plants, 4 in the front row and 4 in the back row.
The blueberry's are the back right, front right, and front left. The 3 biggest. The 3 pineapple haze are the 3 smallest plants in the middle.

DSC 0129
J

JackD

Here is another. The red lines are the tops of 2 of the pineapple haze. The 3rd is hidden behind others.

DSC 0130 x
bongzaway

bongzaway

just like kids man. plants from seed vary. some more than others.

Snoleperd

Snoleperd

Different strains, different attribute different grow cycle. SNOLEPERD

Top Bottom