PVC Pondliner and PHthalate

• Thread starter GR33NL3AF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Allright farmers I've read several threads about this form of pond liner off gassing in a completely sealed room, causing huge issues with the plants. Apparently the liner releases phthalate.

After doing minimal research on pond liner's safety in a grow room I bought some and covered my entire room.

Apparently EPDM liner is the safe material to use.

Has anyone experienced this and been able to pinpoint the liner 100% as the culprit?

Will the liner eventually stop off gassing?

I can't say in absolute certainty that the liner is the issue but it seems the most likely. Weird thing is half of my room is showing issues, other half much healthier.
Pvc pondliner and phthalate
Pvc pondliner and phthalate 2

This is the right side of the room, much happier plants.
Pvc pondliner and phthalate 3

Maybe @squiggly has some insight?

B

Bangarang

I have seen symptoms like that before and tried to fix it with foliaring. If it is similar to what i have experienced they will snap out of it by 14-21 days.
Cal25 and Ferti-Nitro

seaslug

seaslug

I don't have an answer for you, GR33N, I got back into growing after the wave of bad tents went through.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I have seen symptoms like that before and tried to fix it with foliaring. If it is similar to what i have experienced they will snap out of it by 14-21 days.
Cal25 and Ferti-Nitro
I have been foliar feeding combinations of kelp, azamax and a wetting agent called EZ wet. I'll be testing with an all organic Nectar for the gods feed in a couple days and if my issue is nutrient related or pH that will fix it.

I don't have an answer for you, GR33N, I got back into growing after the wave of bad tents went through.
Did the tents use PVC material?

seaslug

seaslug

Did the tents use PVC material?
Yeah, that was the rap, phthalates (softeners) in the PVC fabric. I bought a cheap pond liner and then realized, shit, that's PVC. I'm using 45mil EPDM pond liner remnants from ebay.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Yeah, that was the rap, phthalates (softeners) in the PVC fabric. I bought a cheap pond liner and then realized, shit, that's PVC. I'm using 45mil EPDM pond liner remnants from ebay.
Never any issues with EPDM? Are you completely sealed?

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Looks good @seaslug

Yesterday before turning the lights back on I covered the exposed pond liner with towels, removed my 3/4" water line (even though it's not NGW, it's Hydrofarm) and turned my burner off. This morning I woke up and they looked like a million bucks... Now time for process of elimination.

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Firestone edpm pond liner is safe in a sealed room. Also 45ml thick. Strong too

I noticed you mentioned burner. That can cause problems similar to off gassing.

In case you are not doing so already, You need to exhaust the room at night to remove the excess waste from the burner.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Firestone edpm pond liner is safe in a sealed room. Also 45ml thick. Strong too
I noticed you mentioned burner. That can cause problems similar to off gassing.
In case you are not doing so already, You need to exhaust the room at night to remove the excess waste from the burner.
Rather then play the guessing game with my burner I'm going to switch to a tank setup... Meek's offered some insight and mentioned if they arn't burning properly they will produce ethylene. Not interested in the increasing danger this burner has to offer in a residential home and added heat..

Thanks for the tip Lead!

Top Bottom