Quality PH tester..????

• Thread starter yankee
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Y

yankee

The ONLY thing I know about ph testers is that I need one. What are the key features I should be looking for?

I can get a Hanna HI98107 locally for $60. They had another Hanna model that displayed the temp too, for $100. Those were the only two testers they offered. I know I can find it online for cheaper, but I've been on a "support the local guys" kick lately.

Also, anything I can use besides the bottle "ph up" and "ph down" to adjust ph?

A

aphid

I prefer Milwaukee myself. Are you talking about liquid PH? There is powder also.

true grit

true grit

Had the Hanna multi meter didn't like it. Switched up to Oakton and have been happy since. Have both the $100 and $70 and both are great.

Y

yankee

Any specific model suggestions?

I was refering to the liquid ph up and down. I saw some Earth Juice brand stuff today that is powdered/granulated. I was wondering more like household stuff, like vinegar - its acidic and would lower ph... correct? Or is the pre-made stuff the only way to go?

There is a DIY DWC bucket tutorial on here that I'm wanting to try out. Thats what I need a ph tester for (and the fact that I should be testing ph on my soil grows) Would a inexpensive liquid drop type ph test be good enough? Or are those type test not accurate enough?

S

strawD

i have the bluelab combo ph/ppm, i like it. if you're doing hydro you might want to read ppm as well. there are lots of choices, from mounted devices to portable, with a range of features and warranties. mine has a 5 year warranty, which, when i got it was the best i found around.

S

SURTOKESALOT

This is what Ive got...it works well for me.Just follow instructions on keeping the electrode clean.

sog1313

sog1313

just my input, I use the liquid pH test drops from general hydro and as long as the water isnt too dirty or too discolored from nutes the results come out fine. you only need to be within a range of pH (5.5-6.5) so I think the drops are good enough. As far as homebrew pH adjusters, i hear that vinegar is ok to use to make the water more acidic. im not sure of the mixture you need to get a good pH so youll have to experiment. not sure what to use to make the water more basic, but i think baking soda is ok as long as you dont use too much. i too am trying out the DIY DWC buckets the guide on this forum is really good, so good luck and good growing. peace.

R

Rob1

i got a oakton on ebay for 5 dollars and it works great.

D

Detox

The ONLY thing I know about ph testers is that I need one. What are the key features I should be looking for?

I can get a Hanna HI98107 locally for $60. They had another Hanna model that displayed the temp too, for $100. Those were the only two testers they offered. I know I can find it online for cheaper, but I've been on a "support the local guys" kick lately.

Also, anything I can use besides the bottle "ph up" and "ph down" to adjust ph?

get a good ph meter if you can ,
lemon juice etc doesnt work as long as ph up and down and the lemon juice etc fluctuates alot .
If ph is a issue , get ph buffered nutes like flora nova etc

urbanite420

urbanite420

Forget all the BS, bro! Best meter for the best price on the market. Waterproof, measures EC, PPM, temp, AND pH. Check it.

Used to be $5 bucks less, but hey , the economy is fukn everything off! You wont ever have to buy another meter again.

B

boroboro

I'm happy so far with the Oakton PH meter, the one that retails around $70.

I also vote against using the PH drops, unless you only have $5 in your pocket and you're just desperate to get some idea of the approximate pH. I've been using the drops for years -- it had always been close enough for the small personal hempy bucket / coco grows I had done under 400W CMH bulbs. Had some issues in this new 2000W room that I eventually traced down to PH.

It's a little hard to see in this photo, but the meter indicates 5.7, while the color from the drops I would have said is quite close to the color for PH 5.0.

When I mixed up my previously normal nute solution, to what the drops show as around 6.0PH, the meter showed 6.7!

I'm done with the drops now...

20100527_ph.jpg

BlackBart

BlackBart

Buy a Oakton meter . I have bought all kinds of differnt meters and Oakton is the most reliable .

Top Bottom