Quantum Board questions

• Thread starter GreenGrower5
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigCube

BigCube

BigCube your comment about compact fluorescents rings true to me. A close friend grows under cfl's and produces some great bud in smaller quantity. My intent is similar to his. Not trying to achieve results that I did with the two 400's just want to grow in a similar spectrum. I have experience with scrog, lst and mainlinning. As I said not trying to reinvent the wheel just want to produce my own organically grown meds.

Sounds like you're on the right track.
I'm sure you will be happy with it. 👍

GreenGrower5

GreenGrower5

A single sf2000 will leave you wanting more light. The best quantum boards around right now are using the lm301 chips not sure if the sf2000 is using them, but that is a consideration.

I run 2 x 240w Kingbrite quantum boards in a 3x3x6. Admittedly it's a lot of light for a 3x3. But it runs twice as cool as a 315w CMH.

If you are used to running 2 x 400w HID lights. I suggest 2 x sf2000 to replace them, or better yet 2 x 240w kingbrite quantum boards. Would cost much less too.
Big Cube after reading more on here about kingbrite boards I decided against the sf2000. For around the same price I can run two qb288's in a larger area thinking 3x3. My question is will that be enough light for 3x3 to produce decent bud?

Munch517

Munch517

BigCube your comment about compact fluorescents rings true to me. A close friend grows under cfl's and produces some great bud in smaller quantity. My intent is similar to his. Not trying to achieve results that I did with the two 400's just want to grow in a similar spectrum. I have experience with scrog, lst and mainlinning. As I said not trying to reinvent the wheel just want to produce my own organically grown meds.

Your light is a lot better than a fluorescent, you should expect results similar to a 300w cmh or an equal wattage of HLG boards. Though that light probably best covers a 2x3 area, 2x4 is probably pushing it a little. The 1-2g a watt figure is a good baseline to shoot for, No need for low expectations.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Big Cube after reading more on here about kingbrite boards I decided against the sf2000. For around the same price I can run two qb288's in a larger area thinking 3x3. My question is will that be enough light for 3x3 to produce decent bud?

Two 240w Quantum boards ($105.50 each + shipping at KingBrite I believe) would be a very well lit 3 x 3 tent. That would be 53.3 watts per ft2. It's a good price for more light than you need. You can always dim them a bit for better efficiency and longer LED life.

BigCube

BigCube

Oh hell yes. That's what I'm running. 2 x 240w, it is more than enough for a 3x3.
Overkill in fact. But they have dimmers so all is good 🤣

TimeLine

TimeLine

do lights have a cloud effect of sorts on any models?
this light lingo and peeps opinions are making brain explode..
can't seem to "settle" on a set myself....the sun is soooo much easier you indoor control freaks and your fake suns and new fake suns and then newer newest fake suns

I need a fake sun...sooooon

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
There are controllers to simulate sunrise sunset but not sure for LED yet.

Munch517

Munch517

There are controllers to simulate sunrise sunset but not sure for LED yet.

They do. Most lights that can be controlled by a light controller should be able to do sunrise/sunset. I have Fluence lights controlled by a Trolmaster computer and the Trolmaster has a sunrise/sunset setting.

TimeLine

TimeLine

I remember reading an interesting article on dawn/dusk relationships to the flowering process and the plant in general
A punch in the face and ya go asleep seems savage compared to a nice slow story from mom/dad hmmmm

UsulLusu

UsulLusu

Here's what the light draw from the wall is on those lights: Draw power: 202.3W±5% @AC120V I copied it from your link. I have 2 250w Kingbrite QBs in a 5 x 5 tent but I also have other lights in there too. I think it's adequate but a bit more light would be better. Just my opinion ..

Heat: It looks like they are mounted on a heatsink. Mine get warm but not hot. I can touch them and not get burnt. Your HIDs produced significantly more heat than these do

SpiderFarmer give their boards inflated efficiency ratings too, MIGRO did readings of their SF1000 and while impressive for a budget board, or budget before the recent price hike, it was far lower than the stated claims.

MissyMae

MissyMae

New here at the farm, want to know who the led "GOAT" greatest of all time is? I know there is someone here who can answer all my quantum board questions. I used to grow under mixed spectrum years ago, hps and mh in the same small area, but from what I have read and seen on YouTube the same spectrum can be achieved with one quantum board. Also won't be dealing with the heat that two hid lamps in a small area generated or the noise that older magnetic ballast made. I am hoping to hear from growers with experience with quantum board leds.
Im brand new to growing but i did alot of research before buying my lights. Figured if i was gonna spend the money i was gonna do it right the first time around.
I bought the agrogrow 550 led and they are amazing. No noise not much heat comes off them so i actually had to add a heater to my room. Lol
They were pricey 950 each but should last 10 years with the Samsung technology.
So far so good. My electric hasnt dramatically increased either.
Hope this helps.

UsulLusu

UsulLusu

Spyder Fluence and Arden LED lights both have incredible efficiency, but are both extremely expensive. HLG make great boards. Chinese companies make some really good boards now too, for a lot less money. Other sites have third party reviews and readings on them. However any claimed warranty is generally worthless.

GreenGrower5

GreenGrower5

QUOTE="MissyMae, post: 2363530, member: 112192"]
Im brand new to growing but i did alot of research before buying my lights. Figured if i was gonna spend the money i was gonna do it right the first time around.
I bought the agrogrow 550 led and they are amazing. No noise not much heat comes off them so i actually had to add a heater to my room. Lol
They were pricey 950 each but should last 10 years with the Samsung technology.
So far so good. My electric hasnt dramatically increased either.
Hope this helps.
[/QUOTE]
How large is your space? I will be running half as much light as you in a 3x3x6 just want some idea of who to follow on this forum to hit the ground running like you did. I am not new to growing, was really good at it a long time ago just new to led and especially quantum boards. Hope you can put me on to the people you followed to figure it out.

specklefart

specklefart

I didn't read every post, does anybody know what differentiates Quantum (HLG term) vs say Spider Farmer light?
I didn't read every post, does anybody know what differentiates Quantum (HLG term) vs say Spider Farmer light?
Both are circuit boards with predominantly LM301B LEDs. HLG advertises they use “top-bin LEDs,” Spider Farmer does not advertise that. The HLG Rspec board have Osram red leds which are considered top of the line. Spider farmer has red and IR chips, but they don’t list the type.

Someone can correct me if they want, but HLG is considered the gold standard for quantum boards.

GreenGrower5

GreenGrower5

A compact florecent bulb can grow good bud. Just not a lot of it.

The sf2000 can grow some good bud, if the grower is competent. As is the same with any fixture.

You should be able to achieve 1g per watt of light. This is a fairly easy mark to hit. Upward of 1.8g per watt or more can be obtained with some practice.

Being as your fixture is 200w, it should be fairly trivial to get 200g from your setup. That being said, scrog and lst can help your yields massively and could up your yield to 300g or even close to 400g in the right conditions.

Good luck man.
Ended up getting a Meihu 550 knockoff. Only paid a little over $300 shipping included for it. It came with a pot so I have it dimmed down to keep it from bleaching my scrogg. It may not be a hlg but it is doing a great job so far. It cost about the same price amazon was charging do the spiderfarmer I was looking at and is a superior light in my opinion. Have add extra wire to put driver and pot outside my area. Haven't scrounged a sativa yet, still learning led and more specifically quantum boards. Found out plants really use iron and calmag under them. Once I get it all figured out will try some sativas. Thanks for all the help guys.

GreenGrower5

GreenGrower5

Ended up getting a Meihu 550 knockoff. Only paid a little over $300 shipping included for it. It came with a pot so I have it dimmed down to keep it from bleaching my scrogg. It may not be a hlg but it is doing a great job so far. It cost about the same price amazon was charging do the spiderfarmer I was looking at and is a superior light in my opinion. Have add extra wire to put driver and pot outside my area. Haven't scrounged a sativa yet, still learning led and more specifically quantum boards. Found out plants really use iron and calmag under them. Once I get it all figured out will try some sativas. Thanks for all the help guys.
@Big Cube was able to acquire a pineapple c99 clone from an old friend when I told him I was going to purchase brothers grimm gear and pheno hunt for her. She is a powerful sativa that grows like an indica, with a powerful overripe pineapple smell. Any advice on odor control will be appreciated. Didn't know brothers grimm were back in the game, Mr Soul disappeared from the scene around 2003. Where on this forum is the best air scrubbing info located. I expect this strain to be a mega producer under my 550 knockoff, it's like being in the sweet spot between my old mh and hps 400's for the entire canopy. I don't have to do rotation so I am using 18 gal storage bin instead of grow pots, if my first run with cush/gc and a c99xmisty cross is any indication of how I will be doing I should do great once I start getting dialed in. I just need to be directed to the right place to binge read on how to control that sickly sweet overripe pineapple smell. Thanks in advance.

BigCube

BigCube

@Big Cube was able to acquire a pineapple c99 clone from an old friend when I told him I was going to purchase brothers grimm gear and pheno hunt for her. She is a powerful sativa that grows like an indica, with a powerful overripe pineapple smell. Any advice on odor control will be appreciated. Didn't know brothers grimm were back in the game, Mr Soul disappeared from the scene around 2003. Where on this forum is the best air scrubbing info located. I expect this strain to be a mega producer under my 550 knockoff, it's like being in the sweet spot between my old mh and hps 400's for the entire canopy. I don't have to do rotation so I am using 18 gal storage bin instead of grow pots, if my first run with cush/gc and a c99xmisty cross is any indication of how I will be doing I should do great once I start getting dialed in. I just need to be directed to the right place to binge read on how to control that sickly sweet overripe pineapple smell. Thanks in advance.

My knowledge to do with odor control can be summed up as: Carbon filters always work when they are used correctly.

As for where to learn about the finer aspects of odor control, if it was me I would start with the basics like how big of a filter do I want for my application, where do I want it to be, how bug of a fan do i need to run it.

Sealed room is also another option, but it's an entire room thing not a small tent.

Basically sealed room is just what it says. An entire room sealed. No intake, no exhaust. AC, heater and dehumidifier to keep the levels all normal. Smells like heaven in ths room itself but not outside that room if you've sealed it right.

If I had room I would set up a sealed room. But my den is where my tents are, i dont want to loose my man cave. 🤣

Hopefully that gives you an idea of what you're getting in to. As for reputable places to learn, I cant suggest any single source other than wikipedia. What I do is see what every else says and does, gather a consensus and try to verify the science via wikipedia.

You should start a new thread laying out what you want to know, and what you are working with as far as environment, equipment, budget ect..

Then you could gather a consensus and make your own conclusions 👍

GreenGrower5

GreenGrower5

[/Q
My knowledge to do with odor control can be summed up as: Carbon filters always work when they are used correctly.

As for where to learn about the finer aspects of odor control, if it was me I would start with the basics like how big of a filter do I want for my application, where do I want it to be, how bug of a fan do i need to run it.

Sealed room is also another option, but it's an entire room thing not a small tent.

Basically sealed room is just what it says. An entire room sealed. No intake, no exhaust. AC, heater and dehumidifier to keep the levels all normal. Smells like heaven in ths room itself but not outside that room if you've sealed it right.

If I had room I would set up a sealed room. But my den is where my tents are, i dont want to loose my man cave. 🤣

Hopefully that gives you an idea of what you're getting in to. As for reputable places to learn, I cant suggest any single source other than wikipedia. What I do is see what every else says and does, gather a consensus and try to verify the science via wikipedia.

You should start a new thread laying out what you want to know, and what you are working with as far as environment, equipment, budget ect..

Then you could gather a consensus and make your own conclusions 👍

GreenGrower5

GreenGrower5

Got some advice from my fried that I got the clone from and ordered a phresh scrubber for a 5x5 space, he said it will easily handle my 3x3 space. He loves Chemdog D so I know it will take care of my clones smell. Thinking of adding another 3x3 area to veg clone long enough to fill the entire 3x3 with one big one plant scrog. Want to find out how much production I can get off one plant since the pineapple pheno was a massive producer under the two hid's. Will probably just get a 3x3 tent instead of building another cab, don't get any visitors anymore since pandemic started. If the other two I just finished are any indication of what to expect I should do well. Will turn to dimmer up on next run now that I understand the qb.These things are amazing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom