Question About Cedar Hedges

• Thread starter Joe Fresh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

so im thinking about putting up some cedar hedges along the fence of my house for some added privacy in the future years as they grow..my questions are pretty simple...

1- how much root space to they need?(more depth? or more width?)

2- are cedar my best option or is there a better option?

3- along my fence for a good portion is cement/concrete..is it possible for me to build a raised bed along the fence, and plant my hedges in there, and if so, how big should it be?

Toaster79

Toaster79

This is what I was able to find after a quick search:

2015 04 28 211038

https://www.google.at/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=5Nk_VdDpGYLlUZKShOgL&url=http://www.plantworld.net/CEDAR%20HEDGING.pdf&ved=0CDEQFjAG&usg=AFQjCNGtxZVaD2JMKmIHgyS02zfjhXko3Q&sig2=Vn2k0JqML9-BG-DyrmIWIw

edit: http://homeguides.sfgate.com/cedar-hedge-care-48572.html

Last edited:
Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

These are pretty cool looking.
Sequoia gigantean 'Pendula' is probably the most "Dr. Seuss" tree that there is. This cultivar will grow into a narrow spire over time, and then will send out 'arms' or a 'heads' of clumping foliage. Some specimens look like prehistoric creatures watching over your garden. A group of these can look like creatures milling around.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Are you talking about cedar, or Italian cypress? The cedar I'm familiar with, incense cedar, is native here and yeah, you could use it for a hedge I suppose but in time the bottom layers will turn to dead wood, nasty looking. Italian cypress is what grows straight and tall, very tall, and is used as windbreaks/screens. It can be planted as close as 2' on center, easily.

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Are you talking about cedar, or Italian cypress? The cedar I'm familiar with, incense cedar, is native here and yeah, you could use it for a hedge I suppose but in time the bottom layers will turn to dead wood, nasty looking. Italian cypress is what grows straight and tall, very tall, and is used as windbreaks/screens. It can be planted as close as 2' on center, easily.
thx ill look into that...this is why i was curious and posted a thread

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Those pictured actually look more like a Thuja sp. to me.
Often called 'cedar' or 'Arborvitae'

I'm a little bit of a plant nerd

To OP do you know what USDA zone you're in? Perhaps I can offer some suggestions
im at roughly 48N in canada

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

Then the Thuja sp are going to be your best bet.
They grow pretty fast. Most of the big box stores carry them.
If your in the PNW area there are probably more options, 48N covers a pretty large area ;)

Joe Fresh

Joe Fresh

Then the Thuja sp are going to be your best bet.
They grow pretty fast. Most of the big box stores carry them.
If your in the PNW area there are probably more options, 48N covers a pretty large area ;)
yeah more in the east...lol frenchie land :D

sixstring

sixstring

in the east here emerald green arbs are most common at nurseries,and fairly cheap.expect to pay about 30-35 bucks for a 4 footer,i just seen some nice 4 footers at costco for 36 bucks each.they like moist soils and do well in sun or shade but 50/50 is best.they have a very small root system so they can be planted in tight spaces.if you go raised beds make such the soil will hold lots of moisture and you will need to keep them watered good the first year.once they get rooted in they can grow pretty quick to.i use a shitload of them on my jobs,and also nigra's which is a bit darker color and a bit wider shaped plant.lemme know if i missed anything bro.peace

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

@sixstring he pretty much summed it up for you. Not much evergreen hedge material available in the great white north.
Only things I'd add is skip the cultivar 'nigra' it has a tendency to 'brown' over the winter. An anti dessicant sprayed in late fall or a burlap 'screen' would be helpful for the first winter. Root system won't 100% established the first winter.
Also deer will eat the hell out of them :eek:

Top Bottom