Question about genetics and breeding

• Thread starter CurtisBlow916
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CurtisBlow916

CurtisBlow916

Ok so basically I’ve got a 18 pack of feminized S1s of a strain I think I’ll really like and want to see if I can refine some of the traits.

Through a lot of my research I’ve heard that F2s are when you get the best phenotypes.

So my question is IF this is even possible either through herming one, collecting pollen and pollinating one of the females or any other way would I be able to get to the F2s or is this impossible with S1 Feminized seeds

Jakecan

Jakecan

Ok so basically I’ve got a 18 pack of feminized S1s of a strain I think I’ll really like and want to see if I can refine some of the traits.

Through a lot of my research I’ve heard that F2s are when you get the best phenotypes.

So my question is IF this is even possible either through herming one, collecting pollen and pollinating one of the females or any other way would I be able to get to the F2s or is this impossible with S1 Feminized seeds
Personally I wouldn't breed with herm pollen to begin with. It'll set you up with terrible genetics.

notillgopher

notillgopher

You can take your s1 seeds and grow out a female and then cross it with a male from any other cultivar you may want to get certain characteristics from. Then you would take a male and a female from the offspring of that cross and the seeds from them would be your f2 generation which will then have a large number of plant that are similar to you original 2 parents as well as expressions from the combined genetics of those 2 lines. Now that you have the 2 lines cracked open plant a shitload of those seeds and have a happy pheno hunting time :)

growsince79

growsince79

Good question. idk but I'd guess they would be like any other f2s. Let me know how it works out.

Observationist

Observationist

You can take your s1 seeds and grow out a female and then cross it with a male from any other cultivar you may want to get certain characteristics from. Then you would take a male and a female from the offspring of that cross and the seeds from them would be your f2 generation which will then have a large number of plant that are similar to you original 2 parents as well as expressions from the combined genetics of those 2 lines. Now that you have the 2 lines cracked open plant a shitload of those seeds and have a happy pheno hunting time :)
that was super simple and easy to understand.

thank you.

Observationist

Observationist

Its possible to hermie a plant and self-pollinate it lol
Its possible to self-pollinate a plant lol.

it can hermie and pollinate its self.

you can take a male, stress it out, run it long enough, itll throw female pistols and flowers.

Then it will seed its self, but all of the seeds will be maleized, i think its possible to feminize them.

growsince79

growsince79

Its possible to hermie a plant and self-pollinate it lol

Its possible to self-pollinate a plant lol.

it can hermie and pollinate its self.

you can take a male, stress it out, run it long enough, itll throw female pistols and flowers.

Then it will seed its self, but all of the seeds will be maleized, i think its possible to feminize them.
No such thing a maleized seeds its impossible in 2021.

Observationist

Observationist

Males have xy -females have xx. So you can make fem but not male. Not everyone on youtube is right. Pretty sure these guys never tried making male seeds. You should start a grow diary and see if its possible. Take lots of pics.
i just figured these 2 would know 100% what they are talking about, i hear ya tho cant believe what anyone says.

and i no nothing about breeding, ive never done it, i wanted you're input on that video. ty

Fyre

Fyre

If you were to Hermie one, never use the seeds produced on itself. You would need to take that pollen and do on another female or you'll really bork the genetics.

P

Pike

Personally I would stick to fem work with your seed. Grow um out, select your best, reverse one and make S2s, they will be very much like F2s.

hopefully you find a few decent plants, try to use as many females as you can to keep as much genetic diversity in the line as you can, so when you look thru the S2 there will be lots of diversity to choose from.

you don’t have to pollinate the entire plant, just dust the bottoms, and you will have smoke off um all as well. Collect the selfed pollens away from your flower spot, pull females one by one, use a small artists brush or somethin like it. Keep pollen on floor, reach up from bottom of plant and touch the buds. Once you have hit what ya want( ensure there’s no air movement while pollinating)let the plant sit for hr, then spray her down good with phed water. Place back in flower spot, and wait 6to7wks for good ripe seed.

FuriousStyles

FuriousStyles

You are HOPING that out of the 18 s1 seeds, you get one that has the traits you expecting in a structure you want. That's first. Feminizing a seed does not guarantee you will get a replica of the plant you want.

F2 and S2 (feminizing a feminized strain) are two different things. S2 would be what you have if you use the feminized plant to pollinate itself.

Basically you will need to grow those first 18 seeds out and re-run them a bit, so you can see which plants and what traits of those plants gives you the one(s) you want. Then decide which one(s) to self (S2) or incross something similar into (F1) so that you can get a similar male to use to backcross with. Selfing a plant will lock in traits quicker, but could cost you other things you may want (through genetic bottle necking) which is why you incross a known male into your line (F1) then use F1 to get two plants (or more) to use to make F2.

All that being said, you can buy feminizing products and do what you are talking about. Were I going to do what you are talking about I would run 6 plants, CLONE THEM, try them all out, THEN choose one and feminize it to pollinate the other 5 (6 counting the one selfed). Collect and keep the seeds separate. That will make 6 different lines and give you enough diversity to play with for years to come to find exactly what YOU want, which can be a lot of fun for a hobby grower. You can repeat the process a couple more times (now that you know what to look for) with the remaining 12 seeds. A worthy adventure and lots of fun if its something you really like and it will be something you can call your own once past S2.

Last edited:
T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
i just figured these 2 would know 100% what they are talking about, i hear ya tho cant believe what anyone says.

and i no nothing about breeding, ive never done it, i wanted you're input on that video. ty
That guys shows are just a never ending commercial and sometimes bad info mixed with okay info. I wouldn't go there unless I want to buy something you don't need. That's pretty much anyone on youtube now though, so he is not special in that regard.

Yes, collect pollen from one female plant and use it to pollinate the other/s. Look at colloidal silver or similar for ~changing gender of a female plant, so that it produces (feminized), pollen. That is how they make feminized seeds in the first place normally.

Top Bottom