Question about growing reg seeds

• Thread starter Ilike2grow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ilike2grow

Ilike2grow

I so far have only grown feminized seeds as I only can grow 4 at a time. But now I ran out of my feminized seeds. I have alot of regular seeds I’m going to try growing. My problem is what do I do if one or 2 turns out to be males? I know I should chop them but at that point wouldn’t it be to late to plant a new one in it’s spot? Is there any ideas you can offer when I only have 1 tent with limited space?

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

Hey dude.
that is some really unfortunate math. I also grow double the reg seeds than my limit. you will end up killing half anyway. Some are males, some are just runts. I solved my one tent and limited space issue, was to get a second tent, sorry I know not the advice you wanted.
however, the real shit part of the equation is there is NO reliable 100% method to tell sex until they flower. So you are left with the issue of caring for a plant for near 60 or 100 days then you may have to kill it.
learn to be zen, don’t get attached to individual plants.
be well grow on.

beluga

beluga

Look into sexing plants.

You can introduce the 12-hour dark cycle very early and determine sex in only a few weeks.

The best method would be to take clones ASAP and sex them aside from your main plants, then you'll know whether or not to stop wasting time on males and it won't impede on the progress of any females. This can be done in very little space with very little added equipment.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Look into sexing plants.

You can introduce the 12-hour dark cycle very early and determine sex in only a few weeks.

The best method would be to take clones ASAP and sex them aside from your main plants, then you'll know whether or not to stop wasting time on males and it won't impede on the progress of any females. This can be done in very little space with very little added equipment.
Agreed.

In general, experienced growers typically grow from clones, even if starting with seeds. Grow 4 seeds, clone them. Get roots established, then flip to 12/12. Of the 4, find the ladies. Pick the best one. Clone that and have 4 identical known females of good genetics growing. this will make your canopy much more even and results a little more predictable.

I just germed 10 regs with the intention of only using one of them to fill my tent.

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

I fully agree gents, sexing is the way to go, how do you guys sex with only one tent? Where are your vegging plants when you turn the tent lights to 12 hours, wouldn’t that trigger all plant? I’ve always needed two tent.
Our home boy here only has one tent.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I fully agree gents, sexing is the way to go, how do you guys sex with only one tent? Where are your vegging plants when you turn the tent lights to 12 hours, wouldn’t that trigger all plant? I’ve always needed two tent.
This is the only time I would recommend autos.

beluga

beluga

Yeah, unfortunately without  some kind of other space whose photoperiod can be controlled, you won't be able to do much. But that other space can be quite small and require only a few watts to operate.
That's where you'd have to get creative. But people regularly grew buds to maturity in PC cases for a while there 🤷

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Yeah, unfortunately without  some kind of other space whose photoperiod can be controlled, you won't be able to do much. But that other space can be quite small and require only a few watts to operate.
That's where you'd have to get creative. But people regularly grew buds to maturity in PC cases for a while there 🤷
Good point. Since you will be flipping clones as soon as you have roots, you could grow tiny plants with not a ton of light in a bedroom just to get them to flower or nut up. Get clever. You really don't care how they look, just need them to show you some sexy bits.

So if you want 4 females, plant at least 8 seeds. Clone them asap then continue to veg all 8. They won't get too big before you start culling.
As soon as the clones are rooted, flip them to flower.
Figure out which are female. Trace the males back to the source and "bottom them" hehe. Kill 'em.
if you have more than 4 females, pick the best 4. Proceed normally within plant count. If you didn't plant enough seeds, oh well. Grow 3.

In my state, it differentiates between plants in flower and not. Maybe yours does too and keeping them in veg can help? Also, male plants are not even counted in the numbers.

Or grow autos if you strictly have 1 space. That doesn't help you getting rid of those regs tho.

growsince79

growsince79

You can plant 8-10 plants and flip them at 3 weeks; then keep the best 4 girls. You should have plenty of room.

Ilike2grow

Ilike2grow

That’s what I’m going to do. I’ll try and fit as many pots in my tent as possible and just cull the males and if I end up with all fems I’ll just keep the best looking ones.
I’ve also been thinking about making some of my own seeds. I can keep the male outside my tent with my old sf1000 light. But I really only want 1 male that has good genetics I can use to make seeds. I will only pollinate a couple bottom branches. That should produce a lot and I won’t have to go buy seeds. But I still will as there are a ton of different strains I’d love to grow.

Ilike2grow

Ilike2grow

Everyone’s advice has really given me a lot of help. I’m going to try out what a couple of you suggested. But thank You for the advice, I really love this board. It’s a great place for us home growers to get together and help each other out.

Top Bottom