Question about lights with bloom/veg switches

• Thread starter jaguarlax
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I wouldn't buy anything Mars due to their past reputation for POOR CS..Their new lights are better, but they are not using quality components imo. Mars invented the misinformation Hwy! LOL

I run these (there are newer ones out there too.) The 2 flanking the HIGH END Burple with Cree/Oshram diodes (I got that one free for testing it)

Each is 240 watts from the wall and have full dimming capability.

8 27 19

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

To add: If you want all purpose spectrums. (veg and flower) I recommend 3000k or 3500K for the spectrum.

ru knuts

ru knuts

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
I wouldn't buy anything Mars due to their past reputation for POOR CS..Their new lights are better, but they are not using quality components imo. Mars invented the misinformation Hwy! LOL

I run these (there are newer ones out there too.) The 2 flanking the HIGH END Burple with Cree/Oshram diodes (I got that one free for testing it)

View attachment 946403
I run Cree leds for everything in my saltwater setups. So that makes sense to me

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I run Cree leds for everything in my saltwater setups. So that makes sense to me
BTW..The driver you see on the Mars is NOT a quality Meanwell driver, but a knockoff with a built in dimmer that hardly functions (too coarse, just like the Meanwell "A" type driver. The Kingbrites use Meanwell (real deal) and use the "B" type with a 100k pot pre attached to their external leads

Last edited:
jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
To add: If you want all purpose spectrums. (veg and flower) I recommend 3000k or 3500K for the spectrum.

What about adding compact florescent to get a better range? I literally have a storage unit full of shit like that

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
BTW..The driver you see on the Mars is NOT a quality Meanwell driver, but a knockoff with a built in dimmer that hardly functions (too coarse, just like the Meanwell "a" type driver. The King brites use Meanwell (real deal) and use the "B" type with a 100k pot pre attached to their external leads

thats helpful. I see what you mean now by "misinformation hwy" lol

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

What about adding compact florescent to get a better range? I literally have a storage unit full of shit like that
I don't think so in flower. There comes a point of no return using CFLs..although I have seen a few that were pretty nice.
Before I forget..The Mars Far reds are crappy Epistars and NOT Cree!

Again..I strongly suggest reading before spending $$ so as not to err again (I did it too, but bought Meizhis (owners of Spyder Farmer) meizhi has good CS and doesn't BS their figures.

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
I don't think so in flower. There comes a point of no return using CFLs..although I have seen a few that were pretty nice.
Before I forget..The Mars Far reds are crappy Epistars and NOT Cree!

Again..I strongly suggest reading before spending $$ so as not to err again (I did it too, but bought Meizhis (owners of Spyder Farmer) meizhi has good CS and doesn't BS their figures.

Yea, spyder is another that I am reading on now too. I dont really consider these lights an err though, Im having success so far with the few plants I Started. So I figure I can use three 3 boxes to veg, and get a better setup for flower nbd. The issue is more of reading through all this BS and figuring out what actually works before going broke. Thankfully now I have a bit of a head start.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Pretty much anything works well in veg..T5 and T8's as well. When you get to flower..it's a whole different ballgame. You want 40-70 watts per sq ft with the White Lights, from the wall to flower well. I run over 70w per sq ft, but have them dimmed to avoid stress, and hopefully increase longevity..

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
Pretty much anything works well in veg..T5 and T8's as well. When you get to flower..it's a whole different ballgame. You want 40-70 watts per sq ft with the White Lights, from the wall to flower well. I run over 70w per sq ft, but have them dimmed to avoid stress, and hopefully increase longevity..

Its taken 6 weeks to get an intelligent answer to this question. Most assume a light is just a light so its really hard to know where to start. I have 4 really nice strains that I just germinated, and more seeds on the way, there are quite a few boards like what you suggested on amazon. and I can have them here in a day or so. Thanks a million

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
BTW..The driver you see on the Mars is NOT a quality Meanwell driver, but a knockoff with a built in dimmer that hardly functions (too coarse, just like the Meanwell "A" type driver. The Kingbrites use Meanwell (real deal) and use the "B" type with a 100k pot pre attached to their external leads

This seems to be one of the least expensive. This is what were talking about right?
https://www.amazon.com/LM301B-Samsu...GN411KPHMN5K&refRID=HAQ7FZ4HGN411KPHMN5K&th=1

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I don't know where Mars
This seems to be one of the least expensive. This is what were talking about right?

https://www.amazon.com/LM301B-Samsu...GN411KPHMN5K&refRID=HAQ7FZ4HGN411KPHMN5K&th=1
I don't know where Mars sources their drivers..
But the A type Meanwell is cheaper by a few $$ than the B type with external leads. (the actual Meanwell brand)
The internal adjustments are too coarse for my liking and the range is way less than using a 100ohm pot on the external leads.
I think that I paid $2 for 5x 100k pots..or something in that range.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Yes..The one from your link is the Meanwell "A" type..Not to my liking at all..but still a quality driver if you won't use the dimmer too much. I have an A type Meanwell on an older HLG 288 that I never dim, so it is fine. The weak link in the Meanwells is the little cooling fan which always dies at about the time the warranty is over. No biggie, since they are easily replaceable (Ebay has a ton of them)

Edit: That is a new one on me..there doesn't appear to be any dimming adjustment that I can see. There are usually 2 screws (indented) on the meanwell A Chassis.

BrandedForLife

BrandedForLife

View attachment 946403
I thought you’d be the kind of guy that would put a burble light in your grow 🤣

Top Bottom