Question about mixing nutrients and ec

• Thread starter Oblivi0us
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Oblivi0us

Oblivi0us

Hi thanks everyone for all the great information you continue to share!!

I am confused about mixing nutrients and the ppm/ec readings I get in return.

am I supposed to go off the fresh mix ec reading or the mix that sits for a while reading?

for example when I freshly mix my nutes and test it the ec/ppm will be for example; 242 ppm - .48 ec.

So I will then put my gallon container in front of my heater over night to make sure the water is warm enough before watering. The next day when I test the gallon after it sat overnight my readings are 1.5 ec and 787ppm

does anyone know why the ec/ppm changes so drastically? Is it because the water is going from cold (60 degrees) when I first test it to warm (75 degree). Which reading should I trust and go off of? My plants look great other than some nutrient burn. so that’s why I was trying to lower my ec.
The ph remains the same from both tests.. not sure why my ppm/ec changes.
Thank you!!!

THCMonster

THCMonster

Most ppm meters will indicate in the directions that temp plays a role in the reading of ppm/ec.

But to get that dramatically of a different reading is kinda of odd and concerning.

If you are adding any type of organic form fertilizer thats kind of thick consistency into you Rez, then i could definitely see that because the organics will breakdown over time! But still those readings are a far margin in between to NOT be concerned!

I run a 55 gal drum barrel that runs for 3 days before i have to fill it back up, my ppms dont fluctuate that much but my PH does!

I would check to make sure your PPM is calibrated and working properly, and if it is then just determine what type of nutrients you are using!

But test your nutrients every hour for the first couple hours after making it, if its going up that much then it should steadily go up over those hours, if not then something up!

I know this doesnt really help, but as long as your plants arent getting burned then you should be alright

Oblivi0us

Oblivi0us

Ok cool thanks for info! Yes I recently started using 1g Epsom salt so that makes sense actually bc before they didn’t change much with this just micro and bloom and calmag . Thanks again

02trueblue

02trueblue

Do you run an airstone? That'll cause the pH to raise. Not sure about the PPM though, other than what is stated above

Nitrohawk

Nitrohawk

Do you run an airstone? That'll cause the pH to raise. Not sure about the PPM though, other than what is stated above
If you run an air stone in an ebb and flow Rez should it be on all the time or only when you flood?

Top Bottom