Question about my 600w HPS

• Thread starter Smithers
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smithers

Smithers

Great news in my world! 😁 I was given some equipment from a friend of a friend, and I am not quite sure exactly what I've got. I have no history with HPS lighting. And I'm not in the position to reach out to the person for information, so I figured I'd ask here. Any general info would be appreciated.

It's a 600W lamp ballast (I'll say driver) that uses 675W and says it takes S106. Forgive me if my terminology is wrong. I have two hoods with the same plug, one with an 8" bulb that needs replacing (but works when plugged in!) that looks like the S106 series I looked up online, the other hood doesn't have a bulb, and is longer by a few inches.

I would like to replace the bulb, but am not sure what the best options are for this spectrum and brand wise. Also, I don't exactly know what the other bigger hood is for. I assume I can get longer bulbs with the same wattage for it, in that case... why two hoods with only one driver? Shorter bulb for the wattage probably means more intensity in a smaller footprint, beyond that I'm not sure why, unless I would be purchasing a driver. Or I can run two spectrums of bulb? Not sure what normal practice is for this type of lighting. I had planned on going LED, but this was free, so yeah.

Are these any good? What bulbs should I get? And which of the two hoods is better?

Question about my 600w hps
Question about my 600w hps 2
Question about my 600w hps 4
Question about my 600w hps 3
Question about my 600w hps 6
Question about my 600w hps 5

Ponky

Ponky

600 single ended HPS. Old Hortilux. If its digital it's probably fine. If it's an old mechanical ballast. I personally wouldn't use it. You can get bulbs from 20 to 150 bucks. Your choice.

Smithers

Smithers

600 single ended HPS. Old Hortilux. If its digital it's probably fine. If it's an old mechanical ballast. I personally wouldn't use it. You can get bulbs from 20 to 150 bucks. Your choice.
What's the best way to know if it's digital or not. When I get a chance I'll see if I can look up a manual for it online.

Feels old, heavy, like a wire-wound transformer feels, maybe 30-40 pounds in that tiny box. Made in 2003, I'm not sure when digital hit the market. My assumption is that it's NOT digital... in that case, might not be worth much to me after all

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
not digital.. way more efficient ones now.. but your hood etc is all still good..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
my first ballast weighed 50+ pounds like 35 yrs ago..

Smithers

Smithers

So, I could get 2 digital ballasts and use both hoods… hmm, that’s not bad

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Those free lights will probably end up costing you more than if you just went with the new LED.
They are old, and the first question is why did the owner give them away? That alone says quite a bit.

There is an old saying, don't take someone elses headache. If they were a problem for the last guy, they will be a problem for you.

Smithers

Smithers

Those free lights will probably end up costing you more than if you just went with the new LED.
They are old, and the first question is why did the owner give them away? That alone says quite a bit.

There is an old saying, don't take someone elses headache. If they were a problem for the last guy, they will be a problem for you.
That’s a good point, and that ballast seems like junk. I think he upgraded and had no use for them.

Right now I can only light a 2x4 area with my 2x 100w leds and my 45w diy light bar. So the idea of any more lights at all is appealing, I simply need more. But it might be worth purchasing new if this stuff is outdated.

In the winter I would benefit from running HPS for the heat, but in the summer LED will be way way better.

Smithers

Smithers

not digital.. way more efficient ones now.. but your hood etc is all still good..
Awesome!! I probably will use the hoods later on and get new bulbs. Mine have a custom plug style I’ve never seen before. I assume the new digital ballasts will use the same plug style.

I will have to look at the new ballasts and see whats what. Not buying yet, but maybe for this coming winter I will

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Do the math, I pay 11 cent per kW hour, so at 600 watts, lets say 650 because of the ballast, that would be 7.8 kW hours. Multiply that by 11 cents and I pay 85 cents a day, multiply that by 30 days equals $25. Add A/C cost and I would say $50 on the high end.

So with that being said, you need to figure out how much it would cost to get more lights compared to running the free one you got. IMO it is probably less expensive to run the free 600w light for at least 2 harvests, then use the extra money to buy another LED light. Whatever you do, good luck!

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Is that the SF1000D? Or the better quality SF1000? I’ve been pleased with my non-D 1000s

Is there a big difference? I assume the D isn’t nearly as powerful or good because it’s half the cost.
It's the D. but it's still a far better light than the HPS in it's condition.

Smithers

Smithers

It's the D. but it's still a far better light than the HPS in it's condition.
I’ve been hoping to expand lighting for a while, just no budget for it for a few more months. When I got these free, figured they might be good, maybe junk. I’d like a winter hps light in the kit pile.

When I get my budget, I’m going to be buying a couple Timber daisies, and a few more quantum boards.

Top Bottom