Question about neem and sulfur interaction.

• Thread starter Lockebox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lockebox

Lockebox

I know when spraying neem or sulfur you need to wait a few weeks in between before spraying the other, but what about a root drench.

Say I sprayed wettable sulfur last weekend, then used a neem/ pyrethrins drench on the soil this weekend.

Would the systemic properties of the neem cause interactions with the residual sulfur on the leafs?

If anyone has any experience or info please let me know thanks.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I know when spraying neem or sulfur you need to wait a few weeks in between before spraying the other, but what about a root drench.

Say I sprayed wettable sulfur last weekend, then used a neem/ pyrethrins drench on the soil this weekend.

Would the systemic properties of the neem cause interactions with the residual sulfur on the leafs?

If anyone has any experience or info please let me know thanks.
I could not find any reliable information on that.

However, if you use Garden Safe brand Neem Oil Extract, it does not have the azadirachtin in it, which is the systemic part, so there should be no issues there.

What'cha fighting off?

Lockebox

Lockebox

I could not find any reliable information on that.

However, if you use Garden Safe brand Neem Oil Extract, it does not have the azadirachtin in it, which is the systemic part, so there should be no issues there.

What'cha fighting off?
I'll be using Ferti-lome Triple Action, which is Pyrethrins and 'Clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil'.

Upon a quick search, i guess they extract the azadiracthin using alcohol and this is probably the same stuff you mentioned. That being said there shouldn't be any interactions hopefully so that's good.

I'm currently fighting off some type of phorid fly I believe. I got some overly moist soil a while back and didn't take the proper steps to dry it out. I had the classic fungus gnats first, I already wiped them out with spinosad but these were unaffected by it and are booming now that the FG are gone.

They're similar but the bodies are stubbier and less mosquito like than that of the FG. They also seem more interested in the led than anything else, they are filling up the stickies hanging from the light rather than in the soil. They act like root aphids from what i've read though they don't have the tail pipes and their wings are much too small.

They seem uninterested in plants and I have yet to see damage however I often find one or two chilling on the underside of leafs.

I picked up the Triple Action earlier as well as some BTI (mosquito bits) and hope to wipe these out as im on day 4 of 12/12. Spinosad, diatomaceous earth, and heavy dry backs have done nothing so maybe I'm onto something now.

I'll try to find pics of what i'm dealing with now as well as when the fungus gnats were bad for comparison.

The sulfur spray last week was just a pre flower preventative, nothing to do with my issue though it does complicate it haha.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I'll be using Ferti-lome Triple Action, which is Pyrethrins and 'Clarified hydrophobic extract of neem oil'.

Upon a quick search, i guess they extract the azadiracthin using alcohol and this is probably the same stuff you mentioned. That being said there shouldn't be any interactions hopefully so that's good.

I'm currently fighting off some type of phorid fly I believe. I got some overly moist soil a while back and didn't take the proper steps to dry it out. I had the classic fungus gnats first, I already wiped them out with spinosad but these were unaffected by it and are booming now that the FG are gone.

They're similar but the bodies are stubbier and less mosquito like than that of the FG. They also seem more interested in the led than anything else, they are filling up the stickies hanging from the light rather than in the soil. They act like root aphids from what i've read though they don't have the tail pipes and their wings are much too small.

They seem uninterested in plants and I have yet to see damage however I often find one or two chilling on the underside of leafs.

I picked up the Triple Action earlier as well as some BTI (mosquito bits) and hope to wipe these out as im on day 4 of 12/12. Spinosad, diatomaceous earth, and heavy dry backs have done nothing so maybe I'm onto something now.

I'll try to find pics of what i'm dealing with now as well as when the fungus gnats were bad for comparison.

The sulfur spray last week was just a pre flower preventative, nothing to do with my issue though it does complicate it haha.
Check out that Agromagen Growsafe Bio Pesticide, too. I've had a lot of success with it and so have a few others that I've recommended it to. It definitely won't hurt anything that's for sure -

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Lockebox

Lockebox

First 2 pics is what I’m dealing with now, than the third is the fungus gnats before I knocked the out

Will probably come out blurry here
IMG 2171
IMG 2099
IMG 2058

Lockebox

Lockebox

Update on the situation.

I watered 2 plants with recharge and the neem/pyrethrin mixed at the manufacturers recommendation Saturday evening, and see no negative response at this point!
Plants looking healthy as can be and the amount of flies I’ve noticed has already dropped and will hopefully continue to do so.

Also scratched 2 tbsp of mosquito bits into the top of each pot. 🦟

Top Bottom