Question about portable a/c units and winter

• Thread starter doubleds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

doubleds

Hi there farmer's

Can indoor portable a/c units be used in winter? From what i understand it doesnt suck in the air from outside rather it just blows indoor air out type of thing. I live in canada and it gets pretty cold here. Any body with expierience i thank you in advance.

dds

C

CharlesSprkleaf

yes... it just take the air from the inside and push it to the outside...

F

freefall

window ac units

doubleds window units draw their air from the outside which passes over the coils, it also vents thru the outside. this is why you cant have this type unit in a closed room without an exhaust and an intake. there are alot better detailed explanations on this on the net, anyway hope this helps alittle peace: freefall

true grit

true grit

Nice question DD's, I'm curious how well these work. I'm not sure if I'll be able to put in a window unit in and have been looking at the portable units. Anyone know how well these cool spaces compared to their specs? As in, how well these work with lights cranking? I'll only have 4k in basement about a 15x10 but I want to stay in the 60's....And along those lines, how well do they filter air before pumping it out? Can inline carbon filter be used? Or are they offered OEM? This would vent outside so I really don't want smell to be an issue either, legal or not.

D

doubleds

Nice question DD's, I'm curious how well these work. I'm not sure if I'll be able to put in a window unit in and have been looking at the portable units. Anyone know how well these cool spaces compared to their specs? As in, how well these work with lights cranking? I'll only have 4k in basement about a 15x10 but I want to stay in the 60's....And along those lines, how well do they filter air before pumping it out? Can inline carbon filter be used? Or are they offered OEM? This would vent outside so I really don't want smell to be an issue either, legal or not.

i really dont like portables at all unless you have no choice. I have a 12000 btu portable that cools my chiller/ballast room but it costs a fortune to run. I swear it costs more than a 3 ton mini split costs to run. 2 months of 24/7 running raised the bill 392.00.

dds

many thanks everyone for the answers/help!!

R

rikjaardreal

i seen these things in action ! they were portable units on wheels that had a 6 inch diameter exhaust !!!!

worked well ! ! !
BUT

they had to be modified because the unit exracts water from the air which it stores in its own resivoir !
that resivoir had a capacity of 5 liters and when full it switched off the machine !

the drawer to the res was removed and a hose attached to the water outlet pipe which drained off to a 150L seperate res not letting the machine switch off ! !

ALSO..............

cost a fortune to RUN as you said ! they really do !!!

B

been

Nature abhors a vacuum, right? If you're exhausting outside, then you'll eventually be pulling in air from the outside, somewhere in the house. I think you'd be better of pulling cold air through a roof jack or something, but... you do grow a lot more than me so whatever.

true grit

true grit

Yeah from the sounds of it, I'll be better off bringin in freezing outside air during the winter and saving for a mini-split come spring.....thanks for the heads up yall.

B

Butters

Nature abhors a vacuum, right? If you're exhausting outside, then you'll eventually be pulling in air from the outside, somewhere in the house. I think you'd be better of pulling cold air through a roof jack or something, but... you do grow a lot more than me so whatever.

Nail on the head!

Yeah from the sounds of it, I'll be better off bringin in freezing outside air during the winter and saving for a mini-split come spring.....thanks for the heads up yall.

Yeah I would just pull some of that nice freezing air in from the outside. Could pull it through a filter and have the fan doing the work on a thermostat to control the temps where you want.

One thing not mentioned is most A/C units are going to have issues running in sub 55f temps. Will freeze up.

Top Bottom