Question About Transplanting

• Thread starter mmmdankbuds420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

Whenever I'm gonna start a new grow and buy clones they generally come in a 4" pot and are well rooted. I've always transplanted straight to 5 gallon pots then veg for 4 weeks and then throw them into flower and call it good.
I've seen people that will slowly transplant to a container that's a little bit larger than the previous, instead of making the jump from 4" to 5 gallon, or 7 or 10. I've even seen people that transplant as close to a week before flower. Usually 2 or three times of transplanting.
I'm definitely not hating on this method, but what kind of benefit is gained by doing this rather than just creating more work for yourself?
I've also noticed a lot of people using ten gallon pots even when space isn't the most excessive. I saw a guy on YouTube who had 8 ten gallon pots in a 5x10 area, and if I would have done it I would have called it good with 5 gallon pots. Would it be beneficial for me to double my pot size for the same area? I know the bigger the roots, the bigger the buds, but if I only veg for 4 to 6 weeks depending on the strain, would it be beneficial?

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant, I'm looking forward to everybodies input. Have a good day and happy growing :)

G gnome

G gnome

I transplant into my last pot the day i start flowering.
The reason to upsize pots gradually is so the plant doesn't stay wet for too long while growing into its new pot. The faster your wet/dry cycle is the more frequently you water. The more frequently you water the more oxygen ur roots get.

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

O damn. Never thought about it like that. So would you go from a 4" to one gallon then to maybe a three then to your final pot. I was always under the assumption that you wanted your roots to be well developed and set before flowering so your plant could focus more on growing buds/vegetation rather than focussing energy on growing roots deeper into soil? For the first watering after transplant (not including the initial watering at transplant) I'll let my plants go until I just barely start to see them wilt before I water them again. Let those roots really stretch deep for that water. Then for the next 2 waterings I'll wait one day less then it took for the first watering. Im really liking the fact that the roots get all the extra oxygen with your method though. Is there any noticeable increase in vegetative growth or flowering with your method?

G gnome

G gnome

I go from an aero cloner to 5" square pots. Then to a 3 gal. I grow relatively small plants. I only veg for 3 or 4 wks. By which time my plants are an average height of 14". Usually 3 to 5 days after i transplant i see roots out the bottom holes of the 3 gals.
By the time they are 14" I'm watering everyday.
I just noticed over time that if I go too big i didn't get that wet/dry cycle.
I use a soiless blend btw.
You get substantial root growth in the first 2wks of flower.

mmmdankbuds420

mmmdankbuds420

Have you noticed better growth after switching from soil to soilless. Do you use coco? I've only ever used foxfArm and I'm kinda ready to start experimenting a little more. I've noticed most people on YouTube that are pushing big ass buds are almost always using coco and it's got me thinking. Lol

Top Bottom