Question? Coco Coir?

• Thread starter EventHorizan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Let me see if I understand this? I mean whats another good discussion on shit we like to talk about? If I am using pure coco ( Van De Zwaan, HOUSE AND GARDEN) and flora grow,micro, and bloom hydro nutes in 3 gallon grow sacs, since its pure coco its gonna hold water longer so that means water less like every 3 days? Plants are 12 days old? I have been watering just till I see it give me a lil runoff and that leaves me with about 8 ounces of runoff. I also added a drop of calmag, a drop of root builder, a drop of superthrive, and 1 drop of each of each of my flora nutes to 1 gallon of distilled water, and fed them that once 3 days ago and once today. Think i am overdoing it on the water and/or nutes?+ They are autos too.

I read wheer some ppl water every day and some water every few days and etc.. I am of the belief that whether you use pure coco, or mixed with peralite and what ratio would be the deciding factor when they are this young, right?

btw my temp is 78 and rh is 63, with runoff of plant 1 at 5.5/254ppm and plant 2 at 5.5/299ppm

Question coco coir
Question coco coir 2
Question coco coir 3
Question coco coir 4
Question coco coir 5
Savage Henry

Savage Henry

The frequency of watering also has quite a bit to do with the container you plant in. I water every day once I transplant a rooted clone into a 4" pot. Then when the roots fill that out I transplant into a 1 gal, and continue every day. 2-3 weeks later, once they're root bound again I transplant into a 2-3 gallon pot, veg for another couple weeks then flip em.

In your situation it would be prudent to treat it like soil for the time being and water it once the pot lightens up and wait to water daily until there's some roots sticking out the sides of those fabric pots you're in.

But, as always, use your best judgement. There's a sticky called "beds are for f**king..." In the coco coir section that taught me quite a bit about how to treat coco, I'd suggest giving it a thorough read-through.

Edit: when I say water I'm referring to water with nutrients, never with straight water.

And I use ferts at a concentration of 1.0-1.3 ec from the get go. Since I began doing this my starts have been much healthier and vigorous.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

The frequency of watering also has quite a bit to do with the container you plant in. I water every day once I transplant a rooted clone into a 4" pot. Then when the roots fill that out I transplant into a 1 gal, and continue every day. 2-3 weeks later, once they're root bound again I transplant into a 2-3 gallon pot, veg for another couple weeks then flip em.

In your situation it would be prudent to treat it like soil for the time being and water it once the pot lightens up and wait to water daily until there's some roots sticking out the sides of those fabric pots you're in.

I was thinking the same thing,

But, as always, use your best judgement. There's a sticky called "beds are for f**king..." In the coco coir section that taught me quite a bit about how to treat coco, I'd suggest giving it a thorough read-through.

I had read a lil of that thread. I will revisit it.

Edit: when I say water I'm referring to water with nutrients, never with straight water.

So every time i water it, say every 3 or 4 days, water ALWAYS with nutes?

And I use ferts at a concentration of 1.0-1.3 ec from the get go. Since I began doing this my starts have been much healthier and vigorous.

1.0 to 1.3 ec? I guess i need to convert that to ppm in my case? Since I have a ppm meter. So every time i water it, say every 3 or 4 days, water ALWAYS with nutes?

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Yea the conversion is pretty easy, just multiply by 500 or 700 depending on what ppm scale your meter uses.

Always with nutes, to be sure. Even if I have salt buildup and need to flush I'll dilute my Rez down to 0.3ec or so.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Yea the conversion is pretty easy, just multiply by 500 or 700 depending on what ppm scale your meter uses.

Always with nutes, to be sure. Even if I have salt buildup and need to flush I'll dilute my Rez down to 0.3ec or so.
Awesome Thanks!

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Had another question for you. Ever since this thread I have not watered them and they are looking great! So thanks! I pushed in a lil on the fabric pot and some water came out so the coco is still quite moist. I am thinking that if i can, i am gonna wait till Sat to feed. Question is, when i do water them, and I make up a gallon of nutes and water, how much of that gallon should i give them? Only till I see runoff, or the whole gallon, or just in a 6 inch circle around the plant till i see some runoff? Thanks for the helping a nube

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

btw my temp is 78 and rh is 63, with runoff of plant 1 at 5.5/254ppm and plant 2 at 5.5/299ppm

And why would I have 2 different ppm on runoff when I fed them the same gallon of nutes to both plants?

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

I'd call that a negligible difference, the plants are all gonna eat a lil bit differently. I'll take runoff from all 12 and put it together in a bucket to take readings from, call it an average.

Water em when the pots feel light, 3 gals of coir should hold around 3/4 gal water give or take a bit. When you do water again, I'd definitely mix in your nutes and out in enough so 20% of the total volume you use is water.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Right, I didn't even think about the fact that plants will consume diff amounts of nutes. Duh... Makes sense.

(I'd definitely mix in your nutes and out in enough so 20% of the total volume you use is water.)

I am not following your 20% total volume is water explanation. Could you explain that one more time cause I know what your saying I need to really grasp and understand. Lol bare with me, I am actually somewhat intelligent. At times........

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

And I got one more silly question. If I fed my plants lets say 400 ppm of nutes and I seen them not liking it, should I immediately flush plants with say 1 gallon of 275 ppm of new water to fix a situation such as that. I just want to be prepared for anything?

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

Flushing is really a personal judgement call but I don't do it unless my runoff ec is approaching 3.0, but it's really something you need to get a personal feel for.

As far as runoff goes, say you water your plants with 1000ml of solution and 200ml comes out the bottom when you check like 30 min later. That would be 20% runoff from the total volume.

edit: frankly, boss, I'm just regurgitating shit I've read from some far more knowledgable people on here. Cocojoe and wesolidarity to name a couple. Read through that thread I mentioned earlier.

Last edited:
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Ya I have been reading it. I am learning a lot. Thanks for taking time to answer my questions...

As far as runoff goes, say you water your plants with 1000ml of solution and 200ml comes out the bottom when you check like 30 min later. That would be 20% runoff from the total volume.

Awe... I see and totally understand now what you mean! Excellent!

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

fuckin' a, boss. Nice avatar, btw.

Ya I am not usually in to shows such as that, but it kinda grew on me until I had watched them all. You could say that with what ever I do, if I am into it, I go totally overboard....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom