Question for a breeder??? backcrossing. What the fuck am I doing?

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
If I took an FPOG male and hit a landrace Colombian and made Wilmas. I grew out some of the F1's Wilmas and found a nice keeper but I don't like the smell so much. She has everything I want in all other departments though. The seeds I grew from the Colombian were all very uniform in smell. I want to change the smell of the Wilma (sweet mildew)... to something else. Either FPOG or the Colombian will do...

What are these considered:

1) Selfing the Wilma and pollinating the mother.
2) Selfing the Wilma and pollinating an awesome sister of the FPOG father.
3) Selfing awesome sister of the FPOG father and pollinating the Wilma.

Any help would be awesome thanks. Just trying to wrap my head around this.

In the meantime maybe I will pop a few more Wilmas.

E

E.T.

need to find the right f1 male to move forward.
how many f1s do you have and how many have you gone through?
this is the breeding part that many avoid. it takes time to select the right p stock.
you could also try using the male on other plants to see how his expressions are passed on.
are you determined to use a female colombian? maybe look through the colombians you have left for a nice male?
my best answer to your question is to look through more f1s. you'll find what you're looking for....

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
If I took an FPOG male and hit a landrace Colombian and made Wilmas. I grew out some of the F1's Wilmas and found a nice keeper but I don't like the smell so much. She has everything I want in all other departments though. The seeds I grew from the Colombian were all very uniform in smell. I want to change the smell of the Wilma (sweet mildew)... to something else. Either FPOG or the Colombian will do...

Use a Wilma male and hit it back to the FPOG....

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
need to find the right f1 male to move forward.
how many f1s do you have and how many have you gone through?
this is the breeding part that many avoid. it takes time to select the right p stock.
you could also try using the male on other plants to see how his expressions are passed on.
are you determined to use a female colombian? maybe look through the colombians you have left for a nice male?
my best answer to your question is to look through more f1s. you'll find what you're looking for....

I have lots left. a hundred at least. Plus I gave some out but I don't know what happened to those. Maybe someone else found what I was looking for..:confused:

Use a Wilma male and hit it back to the FPOG....

why this? I'm listening and eager to learn.

squiggly

squiggly

why this? I'm listening and eager to learn.

Pictures help me.

Look at this:

pedigree.jpg

Okay so this is not a super applicable genetic situation for a few reasons:

1. We don't know how the traits you want are passed.
2. We don't know what traits which plants are donating.
3. More confusing stuff.

I posted the picture because the color can help to show how a genetic variation can propagate.

Under this circumstance if you were to cross the daughter to the father and the son to the mother you would be backcrossing. That's what this means. Backcrossing is when either a parents or a genotypically similar aunt/uncle produces offspring with a child.

Backcrossing works best for dominant traits--and the main utility of doing it is that recombination is restricted in such a cross (because the genotypes are so similar). This way you preserve the (hopefully) elite genotype you began with.

Recessive traits muddle the process of backcrossing for the most part and that is what makes breeding difficult. They can also be responsible for some of the greatest successes when new recessive combinations (multiple recessive traits) or a new combination of recessive/dominant traits cause an entirely novel phenotype/genotype to arise.

What I would do here:

Cross a strong wilma boy to his mother (selecting for traits you want) and cross a strong wilma girl to her father.

See what you get from those two generations (Wilma V2) and basically rinse/repeat if you think you can do better on a subsequent cross (Wilma V3 = Wilma V2 x F0)

While you're at it, create an F2 generation of the wilma.

When you grow out the F2s, cross the winners back to their grandparents, parents, Wilma V2s/V3s/etc, and also create F3s.

Basically just increase the complexity this way as you move along and keep breeding all the way down the generational lines. Keep track of everything and make smart selections and you will end up at a place you want to be at.

squiggly

squiggly

1. A backcross. Would be N1 (feminized)

2. A backcross if the sister is genotypically similar to the father. N1 generation (fem)

3. Same as 2. Except this could maybe be considered an S0? I'm not great with genetics--it's too many words to remember and not enough math for me. So take this all with a grain of salt.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

ya backcrossing to wilma won't bring out the flavours your looking for. it was just stabalize the traits you already have. a f2 run or hitting a fpog with the wilma will get ya going in the right direction. Take it easy

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

ya backcrossing to wilma won't bring out the flavours your looking for. it was just stabalize the traits you already have. a f2 run or hitting a fpog with the wilma will get ya going in the right direction. Take it easy
There's always a chance In offspring no? Why is it a better chance with your route? Serious question I bet it's right in front of me but I'm just not making sense of it, Ohio maybe you could explain it a different way

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Shit if cap understands that's all that matters I just text what I think often....peace and appreciate the knowledge and experience shared by all peace

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

there's a couple of different ways you could go about doing it. for instance you could cross a smell dom. wilma female with a smell/vigor male.........im in no mood to type it out; do a little diggin online and you'll find all the info you need........it all comes down to traits and punnett squares......then you'll have a base of traits you know your looking for then all you hafta do is find the one that shows those traits....hope this helped in some way lol........take it easy

squiggly

squiggly

im in no mood to type it out; do a little diggin online and you'll find all the info you need........it all comes down to traits and punnett squares......then you'll have a base of traits you know your looking for then all you hafta do is find the one that shows those traits....hope this helped in some way lol

This is good advice.

Scorpion

Scorpion

Breeding Cannabis is easy...put a male and a female in close proximity of each other and they will do the rest .
With that being stated let us look at what we really want.

A heavy yielding,easy to grow,super stoney,indoor outdoor super plant...well hell.
Like begets Like... Take Notes of EVERY GROW
Lets forget the names of said "Strains" and just look at what you are physically working with.
FORGET the NAME ! and just call it Plant X for this purpose.
What do you want to accomplise and can it be acheived realistically?
Buy a BOOK! and Read IT!
NO ONE can answer your question with any certainty.
You must learn thru trial and error and knowing your own "Strains".
Do you have the skill level and space to even breed a seed line and maintain it's integrity?
All these things and many more are in your hands and only your hands as the grower/breeder of the "Strains" that you work with and only you will be the one breeding them and
selecting for "Desirable Traits" that can be passed on while
Masking or Eleviating all together "UNDESIRABLE Traits " in your gene pool.

If it were easy to hit a home run then we all would be Hall of Famers...eh?
Food for thought brothers and sisters....now lets see the wheels start turning and smoke and sparks start to fly as your young brains begin to expand with self taught experience.

git er done
S

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Breeding Cannabis is easy...put a male and a female in close proximity of each other and they will do the rest .
With that being stated let us look at what we really want.

A heavy yielding,easy to grow,super stoney,indoor outdoor super plant...well hell.
Like begets Like... Take Notes of EVERY GROW
Lets forget the names of said "Strains" and just look at what you are physically working with.
FORGET the NAME ! and just call it Plant X for this purpose.
What do you want to accomplise and can it be acheived realistically?
Buy a BOOK! and Read IT!
NO ONE can answer your question with any certainty.
You must learn thru trial and error and knowing your own "Strains".
Do you have the skill level and space to even breed a seed line and maintain it's integrity?
All these things and many more are in your hands and only your hands as the grower/breeder of the "Strains" that you work with and only you will be the one breeding them and
selecting for "Desirable Traits" that can be passed on while
Masking or Eleviating all together "UNDESIRABLE Traits " in your gene pool.

If it were easy to hit a home run then we all would be Hall of Famers...eh?
Food for thought brothers and sisters....now lets see the wheels start turning and smoke and sparks start to fly as your young brains begin to expand with self taught experience.

git er done
S

I am awesome at teaching myself. I'll post a thread on me trying to do this with my first projects the super lemon haze #5 crossed with starfighter male #14 and the Colombian gold crossed with the FPOG. Feel free to come by there and give this youngster shit anytime you like.

cheerio!

Burning Bush

Burning Bush

Get hold of another plant that has the taste that you want,but,that plant(male),must have similar growth traits;it does not need to be a relative,just have your desirable traits intact.Columbia,Mexico,Northern India,Brazil,Africa etc have untold amounts of natural plants being selected by nature,and farmer still,there are many new combos to find.
I want my strain to go back to it's roots,so my latest cross will contain Bhutanese genes simply because of the rareity and the new possabilities in the offspring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom