Question for Hvac guys/AC pros...

• Thread starter Slowitdown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Whats up everyone got a quick question. Lets say hypothetically speaking I have a room with two five ton units. The room is a box fully sealed with the AC ducts coming in. The only thing is the return ducts for the ac units are located on top of the "box". Basically, you have a room with the return air located right above the drywall of that room with about 2 foot space. Will this cause a problem? Should I make a hole in the ceiling up to the return? I want to keep the room sealed for co2 purposes but I know the return will be pulling a bunch of hot air above. Thanks in advance

blazer

blazer

In theory if everything is sealed should recylce co2 to suply air stream back on plants

deacon1503

deacon1503

Whats up everyone got a quick question. Lets say hypothetically speaking I have a room with two five ton units. The room is a box fully sealed with the AC ducts coming in. The only thing is the return ducts for the ac units are located on top of the "box". Basically, you have a room with the return air located right above the drywall of that room with about 2 foot space. Will this cause a problem? Should I make a hole in the ceiling up to the return? I want to keep the room sealed for co2 purposes but I know the return will be pulling a bunch of hot air above. Thanks in advance

I had to read this over a couple times so I hope I understand. Is there a reason u cant just duct the return?

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

I had to read this over a couple times so I hope I understand. Is there a reason u cant just duct the return?

What do you mean? Like adding a longer ducting to the return to bring it in the room?

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

In theory if everything is sealed should recylce co2 to suply air stream back on plants

Yeah that is what I thought. So, with the return being in the room the smell or co2 will not be pushed outside through the 5 ton units somehow?

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

Also, will it be ok if I left the return where it is which is above the drywall or should I bring it into the room?

deacon1503

deacon1503

What do you mean? Like adding a longer ducting to the return to bring it in the room?

Yeah from the room to the return intake of the air handler.

Yeah that is what I thought. So, with the return being in the room the smell or co2 will not be pushed outside through the 5 ton units somehow?

No a conventional split ac system doesn't transfer smell between the indoor and outdoor units.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

No that's a commercial/packaged unit.

They are all in one units that have an IN duct and and OUT duct, either on its side, or on its belly. Is this unit on top of your room or building?

Yeah it is on top a rooftop unit... I am familiar with the other system you are talking about bec I have a couple minisplits in another room. But this is different, these are those big rooftop units.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

I think the way to do it is with ducting.

Thanks for the help bro. So, I need to find out where the return air is above the ceiling of the box and cut there then bring the return into the room correct?

Top Bottom