Question From First Time Grower In Northern California

• Thread starter marphoto2002
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
marphoto2002

marphoto2002

Hello Everyone!
Quick question about using an indoor space to grow a couple of plants. My space is a 10x12 hobby room detached from the house. It's completely finished inside with insulation, sheet rock, small air-conditioned and Heater. The room is pretty air tight. It does have a window that opens for fresh air when the weather permits. Where I live has somewhat extreme weather for California. Last week it was 115 and has been over a 100 for most of the summer. In the winter we have some snow but mostly rain. My question is with a small grow tent venting and air circulation is a must. Do you vent to the outside and if so do you allow the outside air to replace the air going out? With extreme temperatures it would be a nightmare to try to keep a constant environment. If you vent inside would you use some sort of air filter besides the charcoal one in the tent to help keep the air clean and circulating? Also I would need to control the humidity in the room and the tent which also could be a challenge. Hope someone out there can give some insight on what should be done. Below is a photo of the front of our hobby room. Thank you Joe

Front of hobby shed
Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Welcome from North sac valley. Read read read.Lots of indoor People to help you.

SecretGardener

SecretGardener

I'm near Sac. Started indoor growing in the 80s in a 4'x'4 uninsulated shed that housed the pump for our water well. Ran the lights at night, pulled in air from outside and vented out the roof. Just a simple thermostat for the fan. No filters, no humidity control. Ran the crop fall thru spring to avoid the summer heat. Grew all I needed with this simple setup.

Now I have a insolate dedicate grow room in the attic. Gets insanely hot up there in the summer and I can still grow year round by running the lights at night, pulling in cooler air from the house and using cooler LED lights. No filters. Exhaust out the roof by teeing into the close dryer vent. My only humidity control is venting the humid air outside.

Still best to not grow during the summer heat. But with clones you have to keep some growing year round as to not loose a variety I have been cloning.

Good luck. It's an addictive hobby. Way more into growing than smoking these days..

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

All you need is a lung. Section part of your area off and use it only to exchange air with outside. All your cooling and filtering happens in there, not the grow area. Then vent the room into the lung with a carbon filter, but not the round ones. Get an A/C HEPA filter, cut a square to size and double it with a layer of carbon sprinkled heavily between them. You will have better airflow and still cut the sweet smells of growing to keep it on the down low.

marphoto2002

marphoto2002

I'm near Sac. Started indoor growing in the 80s in a 4'x'4 uninsulated shed that housed the pump for our water well. Ran the lights at night, pulled in air from outside and vented out the roof. Just a simple thermostat for the fan. No filters, no humidity control. Ran the crop fall thru spring to avoid the summer heat. Grew all I needed with this simple setup.

Now I have a insolate dedicate grow room in the attic. Gets insanely hot up there in the summer and I can still grow year round by running the lights at night, pulling in cooler air from the house and using cooler LED lights. No filters. Exhaust out the roof by teeing into the close dryer vent. My only humidity control is venting the humid air outside.

Still best to not grow during the summer heat. But with clones you have to keep some growing year round as to not loose a variety I have been cloning.

Good luck. It's an addictive hobby. Way more into growing than smoking these days..
Thank you for the reply Grew up in the Sac area. Goes to show you not to over think the process and just have some fun with the hobny. Great information! Joe

marphoto2002

marphoto2002

All you need is a lung. Section part of your area off and use it only to exchange air with outside. All your cooling and filtering happens in there, not the grow area. Then vent the room into the lung with a carbon filter, but not the round ones. Get an A/C HEPA filter, cut a square to size and double it with a layer of carbon sprinkled heavily between them. You will have better airflow and still cut the sweet smells of growing to keep it on the down low.
Hello. Thank you for the reply. Sorry about the time to respond. My question is about the lung. Not sure what that is? I looked it up on google and I believe it refers to the balance of the room or amount of air in that area? If you could give me an example when you have a moment that would be great. Thanks Joe

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

A lung room is a small area outside your tent or grow space that filters, cools and dehumidifies the air before it goes in your grow area.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Imo this is the perfect setup to run co2. You don't even need to run high ppm if you don't want.

With AC, heater, dehuey and if need humidifier you can seal it up if it's well insulated all your missing is supplemented co2 and no need to exchange air. It will prob be cheaper than trying to heat in the winter and maybe cheaper than trying to cool in summer if temls are that high.

marphoto2002

marphoto2002

A lung room is a small area outside your tent or grow space that filters, cools and dehumidifies the air before it goes in your grow area
Thank you for the explanation. When we set up our tent we'll work on a lung space. The area is fairly small to begin with so we might have to make a small area that we can control the air other than just the room. Joe

marphoto2002

marphoto2002

Imo this is the perfect setup to run co2. You don't even need to run high ppm if you don't want.

With AC, heater, dehuey and if need humidifier you can seal it up if it's well insulated all your missing is supplemented co2 and no need to exchange air. It will prob be cheaper than trying to heat in the winter and maybe cheaper than trying to cool in summer if temls are that high.
Thank you for the reply. The room is super insulated and tight. I am concerned about issues with fresh air and fungus in that tight of growing quarters. I see posts about co2 but of course have no experience with how the Co2 is done, I would assume with a tank and valve combination? Will look into the idea and move forward. Thanks Joe

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thank you for the reply. The room is super insulated and tight. I am concerned about issues with fresh air and fungus in that tight of growing quarters. I see posts about co2 but of course have no experience with how the Co2 is done, I would assume with a tank and valve combination? Will look into the idea and move forward. Thanks Joe
For a room that size a 20lb tank should last a grow. I keep a spare 5lb for when I need to refill in the middlenof the grow.

Autopilot co2 controller or hut up inkbird here on the farm... prob much cheaper.

And a regulator.

All in prob 500ish but with inkbird prob much cheaper.

marphoto2002

marphoto2002

For a room that size a 20lb tank should last a grow. I keep a spare 5lb for when I need to refill in the middlenof the grow.

Autopilot co2 controller or hut up inkbird here on the farm... prob much cheaper.

And a regulator.

All in prob 500ish but with inkbird prob much cheaper.
Thank you, will look at the sites. Have to scour my garage. Had a tank and regulator out there. Hope my son didn't snag it. Joe

Latest posts

Top Bottom