Question On Active Recovery

• Thread starter crocodile og
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

crocodile og

I have been running my closed loop for the last few years with an alcohol and dry ice bath with great results.

Now that I have moved dry ice is almost impossible to acquire.

I am able to purchase a TRS 21 pump for my system and I have an inline cooling coil already.

My question is do I need to chill my collection tank? Will water ice suffice?

Will water ice be enough to use on my cooloing coil?

Thanks in advance.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I don't chill my tank below 32F, but do run it through a heat exchanger before injecting to chill the LPG down to about -30C.

If dry ice is not available, how about liquid N2 in Dewars?

You can also make your own dry ice from pressurized CO2. Is that available?

Graywolf

Graywolf

PS: Ice water works on the cooling cool if the coil has enough surface area. A TRS-21 gets pretty hot and requires a lot of cooling capacity.

C

crocodile og

PS: Ice water works on the cooling cool if the coil has enough surface area. A TRS-21 gets pretty hot and requires a lot of cooling capacity.

I'm in Australia and liquid nitrogen is even harder to get. Even just dry ice in decent sized amounts gets a lot of questions.

I could possibly buy a dry ice maker but it would be pretty expensive for the unit and amount of gas I would need to use.

If I used water ice on my recovery tank and coil would that be sufficient or not really?

If I did buy the dry ice maker what sort of increase in recovery time with a pump do you think I would achieve? I have a true 1.5lb column and run about 5lbs of gas through it. I would be looking at running 2-3 columns every time I need to process.

Top Bottom