Question on run off PPM

• Thread starter Homegrownplease
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homegrownplease

Homegrownplease

I’ve got 3 plants growing atm just over a month old. I’m using plant magic old timers and the plant magic grow food. I didn’t use nutrients for the first two weeks as I was told the soil will feed the plants for a couple of weeks. I also didn’t water till run off, only started doing that the last week or so. The plants look ok to me but I tested the PPM run off for the first time yesterday and it said 1700 which is to high. I then checked the ppm of my feeds. Which I’m doing 4ml per litre and it’s only 500 ppm. My water is 300 ppm without the food. My question is should I flush them with water to get the ppm down as it’s probably a build up of salts as I wasn’t feeding till run off or should I just feed with water with low nutrients for a week. I was thinking the ppm might be high as I re potted a couple of weeks ago and I know the soil has nutrients all ready in. Sorry for the long post but if someone could give me some good advice it would be great . Thanx

Question on run off ppm
mancorn

mancorn

No, don’t flush. The high ppm is almost assuredly from the fertilized soil, not a build up of salts in just a few weeks (of 200ppm feed). Your plants look good and flushing should only be done if you have a serious problem. It’s more important to track your ppm over time as opposed to a single number at a specific time. It’s also more relevant for a soilless medium that has no added fertilizers. Most store bought soils contain some organic nutrients (bat guano, kelp, crab meals etc) and these will seriously throw off your EC readings.

mancorn

mancorn

I now see that you’re using organic nutrients. PPM/EC measurements are not relevant with organic fertilizers.

Top Bottom