Question regarding LED lighting

• Thread starter googolplexs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

googolplexs

I recently switch to LED light, because of the cost of running HPS & MH. The LEDs I am running are currently only 2700 in color. I was wondering will my plants grow alright on the 2700 color, I intend on getting some 5000 color LEDs, when I can afford them.
Right now I am running 4200 watts of LED in the 2700 color range, the big thing for me is cost wise on electricity I am only paying for 700 watts, which is big deal, till I get things going a bit better.
I wanted to get up to about 6000 watts LED, with color mix of 2700 and 5000, I though that would do job. I got a deal on the 2700 color lights, but the 5000 color LEDs ,are still about $45 dollars for 100 watts.

If any one knows if this will work I would appreciate any info. I will also make know where you can get 100 watt 2700 color, LEDs for $12 bucks if anyone is interested.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Okay, first of all, WATTS ARE WATTS. I realize that LED is more efficient, but let's not confuse effective output with actual wattage draw.

Second, research the wavelength ratios of various LED panels. This will give you a good idea of what to shoot for.

I would very much like to see a pic of what you have going on- sometimes, I can spot a problem that's not being addressed.

G

googolplexs

Okay, first of all, WATTS ARE WATTS. I realize that LED is more efficient, but let's not confuse effective output with actual wattage draw.

Second, research the wavelength ratios of various LED panels. This will give you a good idea of what to shoot for.

I would very much like to see a pic of what you have going on- sometimes, I can spot a problem that's not being addressed.
I was just going by that it has been said you could, grow on only HPS or MH, and would work.

The thing is a 1000 watt LED panel cost $3500 dollars, I build all my own stuff, the panel I am building are 1400 watts, and are costing me about $200, to build.
I am aware of the wavelength factors, my question is will my plants survive using only the 2700 color wave length till I can acquire more spectrum of color.

I have been growing for a while now, my best out put was 3/4 pound of tomatoes off of one plant, the problem was I had a light bill of $5000, so if this does not work I will go solar.

But then again I will build my own solar panels, which I intend to do anyhow, it's just a matter of getting the right pricing for the materials.

If the 2700 color will not work I am going to have to add some HPS and MH to supplement the color range until I can improve my panels.
I looking to have a LED system of lights that would cost $20,000.00 if I paid full price, which I would never do, as I know I can build almost anything, not to brag just fact.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm interested to see how this turns out. There is a lot of potential here, and when one compares the wholesale price of high quality LEDs on the electronics market to the prices of LED panels already purpose built for our hobby, it's very clear someone is making a killing. Once the greed factor has been dealt with and prices begin to more accurately reflect the actual cost of parts and labor, I think LED is stuck in 'also ran' status- which ironically is doing the LED panel production industry no favors, either. They're pricing themselves out of the market.

chronicdreams

chronicdreams

Not sure of the exact wavelengths but I have been using LED's for years. I have the lil 90 watt UFO's and I have a custom made 300 watt with 3 watt bulbs. The custom I have 5-1-1 I think of red, orange and blue. Growth is insane. In Veg. LED seems to lack the penetration of HID so not much past the few top inches of growth that I would like for flower. Maybe if you went with the 3 watters and you gave it some side lighting as well?

chronicdreams

chronicdreams

from my understanding the MOST important color is red. plants use it their entire life. I wish I saved my sources, but I remember we gave great thought into our color mix because we could have whatever we wanted. It is soooo weird watching your plants change color instantly. My plants are purple under my led. pull into sunlight, INSTANT green. like a magic trick .

C

cctt

No, you can't just use a single wavelength and expect your plants to do well. You really need to research the the various wavelengths involved and ratios between them to get good results.
Further, by "2700" I assume you mean Kelvin, which is a color temperature, not a wavelength. LEDs do not emit radiation like black bodies, so this doesn't really apply. If it's a rating for a white LED this is done by either mixing R,G,B wavelengths or hitting a phosphorescent coating. The advantage of using LEDs to grow in the first place is the ability to target wavelengths applicable to plant growth, so if you're using white LEDs you're already wasting power.

Top Bottom