Questions about breeding plants for beginner.

• Thread starter Kdot57
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

Kdot57

So I’m currently running a run right now to test two strains to see which one I will be crossing with the ice cream cake I currently have seeds of. So my question really are if I use STS on a female and cross them will I make feminized seeds? If I take cuts from both plants and pollen both plants with opposite strains will the seeds be exactly same or with different phenotypes? Also will I be able to pheno hunt with these fem seeds to create a stable genetic to my liking?

Lockebox

Lockebox

So I’m currently running a run right now to test two strains to see which one I will be crossing with the ice cream cake I currently have seeds of. So my question really are if I use STS on a female and cross them will I make feminized seeds? If I take cuts from both plants and pollen both plants with opposite strains will the seeds be exactly same or with different phenotypes? Also will I be able to pheno hunt with these fem seeds to create a stable genetic to my liking?
Disclaimer: I’m not a breeder or have ever done a cross, I just want to one day and here’s my thoughts

Yea if you use sts to reverse a female and breed with that pollen you’ll be making fem seeds.

Yes if you switch up the donor plants and repeat the cross the offspring will be different as certain traits are passed down by the mother or father and in this instance you will see different representations of different traits passed down.

And yes you will be able to pheno hunt your progeny to create your own line. However as far as stability goes you would probably have to work it down several generations further as I doubt either parent will be true IBL therefore your first cross won’t be a true f1 rather a hybridized poly and may not be the most consistent or stable.

K

Kdot57

Disclaimer: I’m not a breeder or have ever done a cross, I just want to one day and here’s my thoughts

Yea if you use sts to reverse a female and breed with that pollen you’ll be making fem seeds.

Yes if you switch up the donor plants and repeat the cross the offspring will be different as certain traits are passed down by the mother or father and in this instance you will see different representations of different traits passed down.

And yes you will be able to pheno hunt your progeny to create your own line. However as far as stability goes you would probably have to work it down several generations further as I doubt either parent will be true IBL therefore your first cross won’t be a true f1 rather a hybridized poly and may not be the most consistent or stable.
Okay I took two snips of one of my plants today and had to use honey for my solution as I actually had nun on hand at the moment. I figured that it wouldn’t be a IBL or a F1 just wanted to make sure I can continue looking for genetics with feminized seeds rather than having to take the gamble with normal seeds.

Novaracer69

Novaracer69

Okay I took two snips of one of my plants today and had to use honey for my solution as I actually had nun on hand at the moment. I figured that it wouldn’t be a IBL or a F1 just wanted to make sure I can continue looking for genetics with feminized seeds rather than having to take the gamble with normal seeds.
Your on the right track, hell I am on the same track 🤣 do it. I am not a breeder but a pollen chucker. My theory is if both parents are 🔥 the offspring have to be good. I personally found it not that hard to find something special. But I am biased 😉 I am in the process right now with Humboldts strawberry cheesecake 😋 I am crossing it with blue dream, blueberry dream, zkittlez dream, strawberry dream, spaced out shorty and brisker mints. Do you see a pattern 🤣🤣 now I am addicted. This is a blueberry dream pheno that I kept because of the terps the growth rate and at the end it really shows out with colors.

Top Bottom