Questions about crossing and such..

• Thread starter FruitOfTheLabor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FruitOfTheLabor

ok so i was talking to a buddy of mine who has been growing for a while.. and i told him i was interested in crossing a couple diff males.. skunk haze... mango... hash plant haze... males and cross em with all different females.. mango . skunk haze.. hash plant haze.. sage... blue widow .. white widow .. sour cream.. and so on.. for females.. he is saying.. that since the breeders already did the work that my crosses will more then likely be worse then what i started with.. i think this is bullshit.. because i watched a video from TH Seeds and Adam was saying how they did alot of the work for us and are crosses we make from there seeds will create so:pimp:me amazing seeds and phenos from both plants..

But Anyways .. Can anyone explain if this is correct or not.. i dont want to go crossing tons of plants.. for a bunch of garbage seeds.. but i have a feeling this kid doesnt know what hes talking about but ,, he is a owner of a grow store.. so i wana make sure hes not right..:sad0104:

noodles

noodles

Yep that's bullshit, your crosses could be better than both parents. They could be worse, but but they won't automatically be shit. Let the pollen fly!!

F

FruitOfTheLabor

if u cross something.. do u need the same father to create f1s - f20s?

or do u take a male female and cross.. and then take a male and female from that seed stok and cross and so on.. or is it ... take a male and female and cross... then take a female from that seed stock.. and cross with the male u crossed with to make the seeds.. and so on ?

noodles

noodles

That's a good question, I believe in order to make f2s you take a new male from the f1 and cross it to a new female from the f1. If you took a new male from the f1 and crossed it to the original female it would be a backcross. hopefully some other people will confirm..

symbiote420

symbiote420

That's a good question, I believe in order to make f2s you take a new male from the f1 and cross it to a new female from the f1. If you took a new male from the f1 and crossed it to the original female it would be a backcross. hopefully some other people will confirm..

Yeah that's correct noodles.
Hence, f-2 x f-2 = f-3, f-3 x f-3 = f-4 and so on
But anytime you go a step backwards like breeding the f-4 with the original(p-1) or even with the f-3 it's backcrossing.

K

kumbianchaºseed

Is neither true nor all lies, look what you can get by crossing plants are seeds from which plants can get very good but also exelentes plants! which assures us in seed banks buy is that these are always quality but neither is met by% 100

johnursery

johnursery

i recomend the cannabis breeder's bible, and some search button usage...lots of good info on open pollination, hybrid's, poly-hybrid's, IBL's, back-crossing, line breeding, cubing...all that good stuff plus with the search button you could likely find lineage of your strains and understand what strains went into them and what diversity there known for or lacking...

F

FruitOfTheLabor

been looking everywere .. i know alot.. i just have a close friend.. who said to me that im wasting my time doing any of this. because crossing 2 strains that came from a seedbank will open up all of the genetics and u will end up with some that look like one but smell like other or some that look like 1 but lacks potency... what are the side effects from crossing 2 strains for seed banks?

S

Skunkenstein

I think You Need too Know why you are crossing the Two Plants too Begin with..What is the Final outcome you are trying to Accomplish. I would say the Most Important Factor is Genetics..Are you Plants ''True Breeding Genetics''? You'r Friend is Absolutely right about about F'n Up a Good Worked Strain..That's What you'r paying the Breeders For Hopefully.Example;Take your Best Female cut and Hybrid it too, Lets say MNS Black Widow{aka White widow} a Fairly Homogenous strain by anyones Standards! The F-1's will be 50%Mother,50%Father..Grown out in Groups of 4, you will Generally see one Plant that Leans Heavily toward Mom, one Heavily towards Dad, and 2 plants that are Split down the Middle. In my Experience, 3 Pheno-types usually Stand out Immediately..I call them Short,Medium and Tall.I'am talking about the Females being Grown...! I find that the Med Plant is usually the Best Smoke and Most Manageable.This is the Plant you Would Take cuts From and Breed to the Most outstanding Male!The seeds from this Mating are the F-2's.The f-2 seeds are Pandoras Box,many,many Variations. Since there is So Much Variation within the F-2 Batch..Grow out about 30 Plants, and Again Pick a Killer Female and an Outstanding Male, Cross those Together and Viola...F-3's. By the Time you Do all this work, you will be Burned Out and Wanting to Grow Something Else..haha!! This Is a Simplified Version of How I see it..Hope this Helps..Good Luck!!

johnursery

johnursery

skunkenstein hit the nail on the head, if you want an F1 you need to cross 2 plants that are either realy stable or are landraces, otherwise your just making polyhybrids with tons of phenos before you even get to your F2's...and dont take your breeders word for it that theyre stable you need to grow them out to know if it meets YOUR criteria's, i just grew out sensi's hindu kush and was dissapointed alot of people use this as breeding material, i think if i use it i will need to rework it some to keep 2 genotypes keeping seperate lines of my 2 best pheno's and brining them back for some line breeding when needed, and stress test plants to remove any hermie prone plants from the program, somthing i wish more breeders did...some people spend 25 years of breeding to make a new breed of dog, thats the type of comitment we need in the cannabis breeding scene IMO theres to many puppy mills figuratively typing

Latest posts

Top Bottom