Questions about digital bllast settings

• Thread starter Skeggox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Skeggox

Skeggox

What is the Super Lumens setting? It's a 600w system obviously but why the extra setting. And I'm assuming you'd use it during flowering with an hps?
20210630_221308.jpg

Rawkn

Rawkn

This looks very much like my 600 watt. It gives it a slight boost in brightness. I don't know the exact wattage it'd be, but it'd slightly over power it. This can be useful when your light is aging/dimming and you want to get a little extra use out of it at close to normal brightness.

Skeggox

Skeggox

This looks very much like my 600 watt. It gives it a slight boost in brightness. I don't know the exact wattage it'd be, but it'd slightly over power it. This can be useful when your light is aging/dimming and you want to get a little extra use out of it at close to normal brightness.
Gotcha. I'm new to digital ballast. Can I dim a 600w down or do I need to have the correct watt bulb if I need to go lower

Rawkn

Rawkn

I've heard and read of people dimming to 400, supposedly you'll get a little less life from the Bulb though. I've never under or over powered a light yet so I can't say from experience. I have a feeling doing either of those would be best done with a good quality bulb and not a discount bulb. But maybe it doesn't matter, I haven't done it lol.

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

I run hps dimmable to, i don't use the sl much, i think it would burn up bulbs faster. As stated above is good for extra life out of pooched bulbs. I do dim down though if the plants seem like they could use a little break ill drop down to 75%. Also in the final weeks ill dim to drop temps and get the purps. I also run 1ks and don't have quite the headroom i should.

Skeggox

Skeggox

I run hps dimmable to, i don't use the sl much, i think it would burn up bulbs faster. As stated above is good for extra life out of pooched bulbs. I do dim down though if the plants seem like they could use a little break ill drop down to 75%. Also in the final weeks ill dim to drop temps and get the purps. I also run 1ks and don't have quite the headroom i should.
On dimming, when/if i do, do I need to shut the light down before dimming it? I just don't want to fuck up the ballast.

Benjy420

Benjy420

I run all mine at 660w never touch them anymore all into a 6 way or 8 way timer 0 issues.. as for funking up bulbs I have used some bulbs for over 3 years and have had no reduction in quality or weight. Make sure you ain't overloading extensions etc and it's fine. Keep them clean and look after them. Just notices you said ballasts I don't think you can fuck up a good quality 600w digi tbh.

Last edited:
Benjy420

Benjy420

If your temp and humidity is correct more light the better just keep them a nice distance from canopy. From my personal experience changing the light value can be a huge stress factor and can push hermie and alot of other things. If you ain't running sunrise/sunset mods what's the point really..

Spike8910

Spike8910

Yeah instruction book for my digital ballast says turn it off before adjusting

Skeggox

Skeggox

I believe mine didn't come with instructions which I found odd with it being digital. I went with Sun Systems 6" air cooled w/ Delux ballast. It seems like a decent quality product so far.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

N
I've heard and read of people dimming to 400, supposedly you'll get a little less life from the Bulb though. I've never under or over powered a light yet so I can't say from experience. I have a feeling doing either of those would be best done with a good quality bulb and not a discount bulb. But maybe it doesn't matter, I haven't done it lol.
ot true at all about shortening bulb life. Dim away. Turn on full power and allow a few minutes to totally warm it. Then dim. Never start at reduced power.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
What is the Super Lumens setting? It's a 600w system obviously but why the extra setting. And I'm assuming you'd use it during flowering with an hps?View attachment 1141469
I was using digital 1000w hps and would bump up the setting to 110% when the bulbs got old and dim down to 60% when the room got too hot. I've decided to say good riddance to the digital electronic ballasts FK em The old mechanical ballasts have 3 parts to them, Transformer,starter & capacitor. If one part blows you can replace it. They last for year (15 my last one) I've blown 2 electronic in 3 years @ $150 each. I just bought a new 1000w mechanical ballast for $102.00 shipped. No settings to worry about on is on 100%

Benjy420

Benjy420

I know it sounds minimal but make sure the unit has the rubber or raised feet if you have it flat to any surface it will heat up bad then degrade the copper and reduce lifespan. That little bit of air trap under the ballast helps alot. I run my ballasts in a lung room and on an old bitcoin rig I made works wonders they make alot of heat and don't like humidity to much..

1000w are just a Ballache really not worth your time and mainly bucks.

Skeggox

Skeggox

I was using digital 1000w hps and would bump up the setting to 110% when the bulbs got old and dim down to 60% when the room got too hot. I've decided to say good riddance to the digital electronic ballasts FK em The old mechanical ballasts have 3 parts to them, Transformer,starter & capacitor. If one part blows you can replace it. They last for year (15 my last one) I've blown 2 electronic in 3 years @ $150 each. I just bought a new 1000w mechanical ballast for $102.00 shipped. No settings to worry about on is on 100%
I ordered the standard ballast because I read somewhere that digital can interfere with with shit. Idk how much truth there is to that. But they sent me the digital.

Skeggox

Skeggox

I'm about 3 weeks from flowering. Which brand of hps do you recommend?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
This is the ballast I bought..$79 + shipping Cdn

I had to build a box for it to contain the parts

Latest posts

Top Bottom