Questions about harvesting seeds

• Thread starter Phylex
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Phylex

Phylex

My first endeavor with this pollen chuck has left me with some questions.

1. How do you know when they're mature to harvest?

2. I would imagine if it's a faster finishing strain, the seeds will be ready sooner. Am I correct in thinking this?

3. Would you go about harvesting seeds the same as harvesting flower? i.e. chop the plant, hang it, let it dry, and then collect the seeds?

4. These are at day 29. I've read seeds take 4-6 weeks to develop to maturity. Is this pretty accurate?

Thanks for any input, guidance, or advice. Much appreciated.

PollenDay29..JPG
PollenDay29.2.JPG
PollenDay29.3.JPG
PollenDay29.4.JPG
PollenDay29.5.JPG

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

2. I would imagine if it's a faster finishing strain, the seeds will be ready sooner. Am I correct in thinking this?

3. Would you go about harvesting seeds the same as harvesting flower? i.e. chop the plant, hang it, let it dry, and then collect the seeds?

4. These are at day 29. I've read seeds take 4-6 weeks to develop to maturity. Is this pretty accurate?

View attachment 870508View attachment 870509View attachment 870510View attachment 870511View attachment 870512
well like this for me,first off when i make seeds ive already gave the plant up as far as smoke,still smokes nice but im after the seeds if you dig,them some pretty shots by the way,but i let the plant scavenge itself,then i harvest im with letting the seed/bud go all way dry,then i put um in a grader and thumb out the seeds,smoke what left
you already got some nice color and striping going your way,let um finish,you will apreciate it later,id pop few of them straight in soil and get a run and document it all if you dig

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
I usually Chuck pollen at week 3 and then harvest the buds and seeds when it’s normally ready. If the seeds look immature you can let it go longer until they are finished. I only Chuck pollen on a few branches so the rest of the plants stays sensimellia (seedless) and use it as normal. I’ve harvested the rest of the plant and let the pollinated branches go longer until they finished with no ill effects as well. You can skin this cat any number of ways.

FTCG

FTCG

You can harvest seeds at varying times. Even before they are "ready", they can still be viable, although germination rates will be lower and they will be more susceptible to disease.

Making seeds is a quicker process for sure, but I would harvest 6 weeks at the minimum to get the tiger striped seeds I like, and to ensure they pop, and grow vigorously. If you have to harvest earlier so be it.

You can harvest as usual, seeds pop out quite easily. So if this is personal smoke, just pop them out as you smoke them. If you are looking to collect a lot, you can just pinch them out of the buds, place in a container, then seperater the tiger striped seeds, and I would forget about the rest, as you have more seeds than you need forsure.

@ day 29, these look good. And you could harvest them now if you wanted. They already look better than 80% of the garbage seeds being sold on the market right now. For a sure fire way to tell if they are done, wait under the calyx turns brown. The seed will be of epic quality at this time, and will be 100% finished.

Realistically, you can harvest viable seeds from this plant right now.

Make sure to dry the seeds out for a week or two, to increase germination rates. There needs to be a change from when the seed is actually being fed from the plant. It needs to dehydrate, then when it is rehydrated it will pop.

Very nice seeds, and welcome to the club.

Looking forward to seeing your 100% germination rates.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

View attachment 870508View attachment 870509View attachment 870510View attachment 870511View attachment 870512

I do them just like the virgins, cure and all and then harvest the seeds while processing the flower for caps. I do keep them seperate from any other plant with seeds even the same line as I'm breading for particular traits. I too will polinate a few lower branches of all my girls. Good seeds are good seeds and they ain't cheap.

BTW, flowers look awesome!

Last edited:
Phylex

Phylex

well like this for me,first off when i make seeds ive already gave the plant up as far as smoke,still smokes nice but im after the seeds if you dig,them some pretty shots by the way,but i let the plant scavenge itself,then i harvest im with letting the seed/bud go all way dry,then i put um in a grader and thumb out the seeds,smoke what left
you already got some nice color and striping going your way,let um finish,you will apreciate it later,id pop few of them straight in soil and get a run and document it all if you dig

Thank you. That's what I was thinking. Sometimes I over read on a topic and then get confused with conflicting information. I figured I should let them finish up like normal but I wanted to confirm. These were clones I took from the plants currently in my flowering tent. I flipped them quick, about 8-12" at the time, just to practice pollinating and get my feet wet. These are dedicated for the seeding experiment.

Phylex

Phylex

What strains ya crossing? Looks awesome 😎
I usually Chuck pollen at week 3 and then harvest the buds and seeds when it’s normally ready. If the seeds look immature you can let it go longer until they are finished. I only Chuck pollen on a few branches so the rest of the plants stays sensimellia (seedless) and use it as normal. I’ve harvested the rest of the plant and let the pollinated branches go longer until they finished with no ill effects as well. You can skin this cat any number of ways.

I appreciate the insight and clarification. I pollinated these in the beginning of week three. I was actually thinking I might have pollinated too soon and should have waited to the end of week three, closer to 21 days. I pollinated at day 16. Some look like they're maturing while others I can see are still green. But I have a ways to go still considering they're only day 30. So imagine it will all work out as time goes on.

The crosses are;

Black Jack x 9lb Hammer
Tangie x 9lb Hammer
Birthday Cake Kush x 9lb Hammer
Gelat.OG x 9lb Hammer

FTCG

FTCG

I just harvested some at week 4, some pre-flowered clones I received. I had put them back into veg, and thought they were safe around my FPOG male. Well they weren't and I noticed my clones were looking super wierd. The plants were under 24 hours light, in order to reveg, and as I was inspecting I found about 15 viable seed!

I don't expect for all of the to pop, but it should be interesting to see the end results if they manage to germinate properly. I'm going to dry the seeds out a little more in the freezer and put them in papaer towels in a couple days.

20190515 054537

A resilient plant it is.

Last edited:
Phylex

Phylex

You can harvest seeds at varying times. Even before they are "ready", they can still be viable, although germination rates will be lower and they will be more susceptible to disease.

Making seeds is a quicker process for sure, but I would harvest 6 weeks at the minimum to get the tiger striped seeds I like, and to ensure they pop, and grow vigorously. If you have to harvest earlier so be it.

You can harvest as usual, seeds pop out quite easily. So if this is personal smoke, just pop them out as you smoke them. If you are looking to collect a lot, you can just pinch them out of the buds, place in a container, then seperater the tiger striped seeds, and I would forget about the rest, as you have more seeds than you need forsure.

@ day 29, these look good. And you could harvest them now if you wanted. They already look better than 80% of the garbage seeds being sold on the market right now. For a sure fire way to tell if they are done, wait under the calyx turns brown. The seed will be of epic quality at this time, and will be 100% finished.

Realistically, you can harvest viable seeds from this plant right now.

Make sure to dry the seeds out for a week or two, to increase germination rates. There needs to be a change from when the seed is actually being fed from the plant. It needs to dehydrate, then when it is rehydrated it will pop.

Very nice seeds, and welcome to the club.

Looking forward to seeing your 100% germination rates.

Thank you for all the info. Like you, I'd rather wait for the seeds to mature properly. I'm not in any hurry for seeds. I'd rather make sure they're allotted the proper amount of time. Accidentally harvesting early was my biggest concern. I appreciate the compliments. I'm trying to do things the right way while I learn.

Phylex

Phylex

I do them just like the virgins, cure and all and then harvest the seeds while processing the flower for caps. I do keep them seperate from any other plant with seeds even the same line as I'm breading for particular traits. I too will polinate a few lower branches of all my girls. Good seeds are good seeds and they ain't cheap.

BTW, flowers look awesome!

Thank you. Yeah, I certainly don't want to mix them up. I have 5 different clones pollinated. (Four strains) BJ1, BJ2, BCK, Tangie, and Gelat.OG

Phylex

Phylex

I just harvested some at week 4, some pre-flowered clones I received. I had put them back into veg, and thought they were safe around my FPOG male. Well they weren't and I noticed my clones were looking super wierd. The plants were under 24 hours light, in order to reveg, and as I was inspecting I found about 15 viable seed!

I don't expect for all of the to pop, but it should be interesting to see the end results if they manage to germinate properly. I'm going to dry the seeds out a little more in the freezer and put them in papaer towels in a couple days.

View attachment 870689

A resilient plant it is.

View attachment 870689

A resilient plant it is.

Mine don't look like that yet. Some are developing stripes, but even those still look green. They don't have that nice brown coloring with the stripes. Others are still full green, but plump. I imagine they still have a way to go though. I'm sure they'll get there.

Will the purple stripes remain purple, or do they eventually turn to a dark brown as they mature more?

FTCG

FTCG

If you got purple stripes, that means you are a certified gangster.

One of your pics looks like purple tiger striping, it may be the lighting, most stripes are brown.

It's like a protective layer, sometimes it falls off on seeds that haven't fully developed.

Fully matured seeds should not lose this tiger striped coating.

In the picture there are seeds all in varying ripeness. Some have lost their stripes, some never had it.

I'd like to feel more confident with these guys.

Take your plants to the full term until you start seeing the seed bracts die off. They will turn brown, and inside every one will be the craziest striped seeds you've ever got your hands on.

Phylex

Phylex

I'm currently the most intrigued with the Gelato.OG x 9PH and BCK x 9PH. I plan to find a good female of Gelat.OG x 9PH and re-pollinate it with the 9PH dad. I'd also like to find a good male of the Gelat.OG x 9PH and pollinate that with the Gelato.OG mom. Grow seeds out from both of those and see which one I like more.

I'll do the same with the BCK.

FTCG

FTCG

Lol, lots of plans, you and me both. I got some Tangerine Kush x Bubblegum I made. Couple nice phenos, one with hybrid vigor for sure. Notes of orange and bubblegum for the hybrid vigor, and more leaning towards bubblegum for the smaller plant.

Made clones of each.

Now hopefully these FPOG x Tangerine Dream pop and I'll have some more personal crosses to play with.

I want to make a feminized cross because the plants from seed grow so much better than the clones I get.

If I can work from seed and backcross into the most vigorous plants, I will get much more per harvest.

That's about a year and a half away if I can get started now.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Thank you. That's what I was thinking. Sometimes I over read on a topic and then get confused with conflicting information. I figured I should let them finish up like normal but I wanted to confirm. These were clones I took from the plants currently in my flowering tent. I flipped them quick, about 8-12" at the time, just to practice pollinating and get my feet wet. These are dedicated for the seeding experiment.
like,i dont pollen chunck,when i breed it the whole plant,thats why i discribed my method,but my girls get stuck in a tent on back porch with just a fan ,every thing is sealed and i reach threw that useless 4in hole on the side and shake the nuts right off the male,next day same thing,third day i take the girls turn upside down rinse off all the pollen from the plant,leave under a ceiling fan i have on porch to they are dry and back to flower room they go,might not be best method ,but its mine hasnt let me down yet,if i have any doubt,i wait to they are dry and drench um again,pollen on the dirt will not repollinate when it dries and most times it just sinks into the soil and drys with the top coat,like i say most probally think it a redneck way of breeding ,but its mine and has worked great for years

Phylex

Phylex

Lol, lots of plans, you and me both. I got some Tangerine Kush x Bubblegum I made. Couple nice phenos, one with hybrid vigor for sure. Notes of orange and bubblegum for the hybrid vigor, and more leaning towards bubblegum for the smaller plant.

Made clones of each.

Now hopefully these FPOG x Tangerine Dream pop and I'll have some more personal crosses to play with.

I want to make a feminized cross because the plants from seed grow so much better than the clones I get.

If I can work from seed and backcross into the most vigorous plants, I will get much more per harvest.

That's about a year and a half away if I can get started now.

Bro, "lots of plans" is an understatement. lol. I swear I wish I had a warehouse and a permit to grow hundreds of plants. I currently have 32 different strains I'd like to play with and see what I have there. Along with so many other plans. But growing time and legal space is a HUGE time constraint. Like you mentioned, just these could keep me busy for a year or two. That means my current seed stalk may outlive me before I could get to everything. lol.

My latest "bright" idea I'd like to play with is trying to create and find a stud male from Black Widow, Ghost Train Haze, and a Nepalese Landrace cross I want to make. That could take years as well. FML. lol

And what you have going on there sounds awesome.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

I appreciate the insight and clarification. I pollinated these in the beginning of week three. I was actually thinking I might have pollinated too soon and should have waited to the end of week three, closer to 21 days. I pollinated at day 16. Some look like they're maturing while others I can see are still green. But I have a ways to go still considering they're only day 30. So imagine it will all work out as time goes on.

The crosses are;

Black Jack x 9lb Hammer
Tangie x 9lb Hammer
Birthday Cake Kush x 9lb Hammer
Gelat.OG x 9lb Hammer
just added another addiction to your life ,you will see,ever time i get a prime pheno stud mama sneaks in there and kills his ass hahahah

Phylex

Phylex

like,i dont pollen chunck,when i breed it the whole plant,thats why i discribed my method,but my girls get stuck in a tent on back porch with just a fan ,every thing is sealed and i reach threw that useless 4in hole on the side and shake the nuts right off the male,next day same thing,third day i take the girls turn upside down rinse off all the pollen from the plant,leave under a ceiling fan i have on porch to they are dry and back to flower room they go,might not be best method ,but its mine hasnt let me down yet,if i have any doubt,i wait to they are dry and drench um again,pollen on the dirt will not repollinate when it dries and most times it just sinks into the soil and drys with the top coat,like i say most probally think it a redneck way of breeding ,but its mine and has worked great for years

I have clones from all of these vegging now and they're already ready to go into the flower tent. They're all about two feet tall. I'm just waiting for my flower tent to finish up so I can start the next round. I plan to throw them all in there with the male and let them do their thing. The plants I want to grow for flower that are the same size, will be grown outside this run.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Bro, "lots of plans" is an understatement. lol. I swear I wish I had a warehouse and a permit to grow hundreds of plants. I currently have 32 different strains I'd like to play with and see what I have there. Along with so many other plans. But growing time and legal space is a HUGE time constraint. Like you mentioned, just these could keep me busy for a year or two. That means my current seed stalk may outlive me before I could get to everything. lol.

My latest "bright" idea I'd like to play with is trying to create and find a stud male from Black Widow, Ghost Train Haze, and a Nepalese Landrace cross I want to make. That could take years as well. FML. lol

And what you have going on there sounds awesome.
thats the key,i been hunting for a prime sativa stud for years that i like,i have a strain i been working for 10 yrs now

Top Bottom