Questions About My Compost Tea

• Thread starter Steven Bevan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimmyp123

Jimmyp123

@Seamaiden I have not used barley extract. I m in the process of trying to source organic soil amendments, and or organic materials for my grow. At the present time I am having a hard time doing so. I have almost sourced all my ingredients for my homemade soil, and not all of it has been easy unfortunately

Jimmyp123

Jimmyp123

I do know that fungi can break down more complex elements , specifically nutrients,or organic matter in the soil that bacteria cannot. With that being said, would there be any benefit to trying it? We already know plants can utilize simple sugars. There are a lot of simple sugar sources to choose from. Is experimenting with breaking down complex carbohydrates for plant utilization worth it??

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The most I know about using complex carbs is the baby oatmeal that Microbeman has stated helps grow more fungal hyphae. Since it's not a complete or whole grain, but is in fact so stripped down that it dissolves in water, I don't see it causing much harm as long as one doesn't use so much that it causes crusting on the soil surface.

As for benefit, I've gone back and forth, mentally, on that one. On the one hand we're told that mycorrhizae are generally slow-growing and better applied to perennials, whereas annuals prefer bacterial-dominated soils. But I know so many people who report differences when inoculating with mycorrhizae that it's impossible to ignore. So I've endeavored to keep live plant material in my beds at all times, so that any mycos will (hopefully?) remain in situ, growing well, etc.

Jimmyp123

Jimmyp123

It seems as though we may be off topic to the thread here.... and possibly may be missing each other a bit on thought a bit. I should possible start a new thread for this topic. either way seamaiden you already are a wealth of knowledge

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thank you, I do read a *lot*, and then experiment every year.
live plant material ....cover crops...top dressing with comfrey ,nettles??
Those plants require too much water, IME, so I go for what grows well on less. If you're heading, mentally, towards fermented plant juices and extracts, I believe we have a thread on that somewhere.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/search/4807396/?q=fermented+plant+juice&o=relevance

https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/lets-talk-about-fermented-plant-juice.41916/

tj Wise

tj Wise

Good reading. Am I in the ballpark in thinking that I can feed 16 tree-sized plants for the season using about 100 gallons of 48-hour bubbled compost tea made for about 100$ ?? So, 1 tree would need just 6 gallons of tea, spread out over the season? Using something like this recipe?

TeaRecipe
Top Bottom