Questions About Popping Seeds

• Thread starter MountainMama
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MountainMama

MountainMama

Our seeds are sprouting and some of them are flopping over. They are in seedling mix on top of heating mats. We now have them under t5s. We moved them from 32w t8s. I have been watering with a spray bottle multiple times a day. To much water? Not enough water? To much fan? Would love your thoughts.

Also, when do you start watering from underneath? Thank you!!
Questions about popping seeds
Questions about popping seeds 2
Questions about popping seeds 3
Questions about popping seeds 4

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

How far away is and how many/length of your t5s?

Spraying seedlings and having a fan blow directly on them is bad idea, probably the cause of the damping off or flopping over.

Water the dirt from the bottom or top until it is fully saturated and then do not water again until it is almost completely dry. I would go ahead and transplant into solo cups if it were me.

Bannacis

Bannacis

plus you don't need to up the lights so early, they only need a mild light for first week or 2.
Less water...and from bottom only. never have fan directly on seedlings, might not even need fan right now.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
First, let them flop, they all do this. Stop messing around propping them up with toothpicks.

Second, I have found it is literally impossible to overwater seedlings, literally. What *is* very possible is for them to dry out and die on you, so keep them watered, from the bottom is my own preference as well.

Third, I hope they're outside getting toughened up and on the natural photoperiod and sunlight, that's really the best way to start OD plants IMO/E.

Don't baby your cannabis seedlings, but definitely provide them with full sunlight and plenty of water. It looks like a few of them got dried out and died on you. If you always keep water in the tray that won't happen.

Blaze

Blaze

Agreed, get them outside and under some real light. That will toughen them up quick. They tend to get floppy like that when started under weaker lights like t5s, with no air movement.

chopper dogg

chopper dogg

After they spout remove the heating pad, the extra heat will cause them to stretch, use a deeper pot (solo cups work), stop spaying (unless to control heat), feed from bottom, do not over water, regardless of what some posts are saying, over watering is the main killer of seedlings, and stronger light (perhaps move yours closer).

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Agreed, get them outside and under some real light. That will toughen them up quick. They tend to get floppy like that when started under weaker lights like t5s, with no air movement.
They do it outside under full sunlight, too, IME. All strains I've done.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

I like sprouting mine in rooting plugs and then planting the plug deep when I put them in solo cups, it seems to help. They still grow up and stretch a little more but it seems like the stem is stronger and they dont fall over if planted deep.

Blaze

Blaze

Oh you might try a small watering can too instead of the spray bottle. The spray bottles usually don't get enough water into the dirt. Some of those definitely got dried out from the look of it. Just be sure it's a can with a very gentle head/pattern for dispersing the water.

wawa

wawa

It looks like a lack of light and water.
Just put them outside and let them enjoy natural sunlight. If it is not dropping below 40 at night they should have no problem staying out all night. They will wake up and warm quickly when the sun hits the small trays. Soak them in water for a few minutes and stick your finger in the soil a couple times a day to make sure they don't dry out.

MountainMama

MountainMama

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and advice. I really appreciate you taking the time. We are working on transplanting them up into cups. We will not be able to put them outside for at least another week, but we will as soon as we can. Also we have changed our approach to watering, they seem much happier :) Thanks again fellow farmers!

Bannacis

Bannacis

When you do put them outside, put them in a shaded area for couple days then gradually to full sun light.

Top Bottom