Questions about the Harvest Master

• Thread starter Stoopid J
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Stoopid J

First of all thanks in advance for your responses i know that time is a very valuable resource.

OK, I have been looking into the Harvest Master Pro-Plus, it is said to have 8 additional ports for controlling motion detectors, sensors, etc. These are all to be controlled by rca jack and relays.

The question is which devices will actually work with the Harvest master? I have heard that the HM can send you text's based on sensor readings. Well, how? Which accessory devices Specifically can i use with the Harvest Master Pro Plus?

Thanks,
St. J

C

CannaCaino

J,

I used a pro for years and loved it. However, now that there are other companies making similar products, the HM is behind IMO. First, the HM is expensive and you have to buy more relays if you are running more than two lights. I don't think it comes with 240 relays at all. They're like $200 each last I checked.

As to your question regarding text messaging, you have to purchase the text me modem that retails at $867 MSRP to have that feature. It's not clear to me from their literature how you can make it work with an alarm or something along those lines. You can, however, text it for an update and it will send you a text back giving you environmental status. You can also make things in your ouputs/input jacks turn on and off via text.

The thing I liked most about the HM was its fuzzy logic. It worked very well.

I think the Sentinel line up works just as well, however, and it's a lot cheaper. You don't get the text messaging option, though. You could put one of those cameras that you can view through your phone right on the data panel, though and get similar info. Plus, HM is based in New Zealand so customer service can be an issue. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, I couldn't get a replacement for one of the sensors and that was why I stopped using it.

Hope this helps.

S

Stoopid J

Those are many of the problems i was seeing also. I was hoping that the results would justify the price, but there is always something else to buy with HM. It seems i can get equal results for a MUCH cheaper price!

What is the absolute best environmental controller? What about for under $1000?
I want as many bells and whistles as possible and I am looking to buy within the next week. Suggestions please!!!

When my room is done it will consist of 3k HPS, Co2 generator, 18k BTU mini split a/c over SCROGged 18 plant rDWC.

Thanks
St. J

C

CannaCaino

I personally like Sentinel, as I said. The Mdt-1 Timer and CHHC-1 Environmental Controller come in just under $1000. I'm not sure that solves your need for where to plug your lights in. The HPH-4, that plugs into the MDT-1 will control 4k. It's another $175. I feel like it's been just as good as the HM with a whole lot less hassle and RCA cables to deal with.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Go with the Sentinel CHHC-4. I just sold mine because I needed the money bad.

The Sentinel will controll your A/C, Co2 (Has Fuzzy Logic) Dehumidify, and Heat.

If you want something to text or call you if someone breaks in there are other cheaper things that can do that besides the HM.

You can pick up the Sentinel new for under $500 if you look hard enough. But on average you can pick it up for around $600

Also the Sentinel has software where you can hook it up to your PC and get readings from the Controller.

When I need another controller I am going to get the Sentinell CHHC-4 again, unless Sentinell comes out with another model by then.

S

Stoopid J

CC and Smokey THANKS for the input

I am thinking about getting:

CHHC-4 $575 on ebay (free shipping) to control my dehuey, Co2 gennie, and vent fan once or twice a day. Don't need to control a/c because it is inverter type and controller would be less efficient.

MDT-1 $155 on ebay (free shipping) to trigger my lights and to run my water pump on a cycle.

HPH-4 $140 on ebay (free shipping) wired to 240v to run my 3k lights.

This totals out to $870!! That is great! I was originally looking to spend at least $1500 on the Harvest Master so now i have $600 to play with.

Now all that i am missing is a way to communicate with my system while i am at work or out of town. Any suggestions?

St. J

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

If you are going to run a genny with the CHHC-4 make sure you turn off the Fuzzy Logic or you will have problems with your gas.
Fuzzy logic turns off and on too many times for a Gas Burner to operate properly. It does tell you right on the Controller to not use the Fuzzy Logic when using NG. You can use the Fuzzy Logic when using bottled Co2 only.
Just a heads up.

Now for something that will communicate you can get a security camera that you can look at over a smart phone. This way you can have the cam pointed at the controller and you go to the app that the camera is on and you can see live feed and see what your room is at.
They also make security cameras that will text you if there is motion detected. Google it.

I would spend an extra $60 and get a CAP 8 light controller for around $225. This way you can go bigger later if needed. Plus you are not maxing out the light controllers amps and wiring. If you get a light controller do NOT get one with a timer built into it. The timers on those break all the time and you have to either send in the whole thing to repair a $15 timer.
I have the CAP mlc8. The cool thing is you can use the regular 120volt plug to run the 240volt wiring from the ballast so you do not have to buy the 240v cord. The receptical is universal on the CAP mlc8 so you can use either or of the 2 cords. This way you save money and do not have to buy new cords to go 240v.
This way will be cheaper no matter what. If you get that other controller you still have to buy the $12 240v power cords to work with the light controller.

Top Bottom