Questions aboutsulfur burn...

• Thread starter Tank333
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tank333

Tank333

So, I just did the sulfur burn a few days ago, and it didn't do the job. I've now got new spots of PH cropping up here and there. Not much, but enough to tell me I need to burn again.

My question is, how bad is the stink from the sulfur burn supposed to be? Because everything I've read made me think it was gonna be an unbearable stench. But when I opened up the downstairs room to unplug the burner, it really didn't smell that bad. I mean, it smelled like sulfur, sure. But it wasn't worse than Yellowstone smelled, or some of my own gas when I've eaten a lot of junk lately. Lol.

sixstring

sixstring

good analogy,yellowstone lol.it should smell worse than Yellowstone the first 24-48 hours.add the full amount recommended by your brand burner(mine is half full) and add 1 hour to your burn time.for bad pm problems one burn wont get everything most times.

Tank333

Tank333

Then maybe my burner isn't working right? Just turned it off for the second burn. Over 4 hours, and it still didn't reak too badly. Being inside the actual grow room for three or four minutes taking down the burner and turning on fans, my eyes started to sting a little bit, but not bad at all. And my nose hairs curled a bit more this time. There doesn't seem to be any residue after the burn, and there's still plenty of liquid sulfur in the cup afterwards. I haven't added more since my first burn!

sixstring

sixstring

naw man,you gotta stay out of there for 6 or 12 hours lol.let the b urner cool down and the sulfer should turn into a hard puck.toss that puppy in the trash and use fresh sulfer next time and just burn again for 3.5 to 4 hours,you shouldn't need more than 4 hours if its working right.my room is 12x20x9.5 and I burn for 3.5 hours and my place smells bad for days but super bad for that first day.but don't turn any fans back on until you really need them,the sulfer can be blown right back off the plants and that's not productive.but you should def notice your plants looking much greener after 2 burns or you might have the wrong or bad sulfer

Tank333

Tank333

Hmm... well, I don't know if I ordered the wrong sulfur, but it is what came with the sulfur burner. Cost $108 on ebay for the burner and a 4lbs bag of prills. I didn't realize the sulfur should be changed after a burn. I just figured it would evap away during the burn. I'll toss the used stuff and run another burn upstairs to see if it does any better...

But yea, its not making things anywhere near as bad as you guys say it should be....

sixstring

sixstring

Did the burner have instructions for filling it? Mine has a cup in it that looks to hold about 1 cup of suffer but it says to never fill past 4cm which is about half way.thats all i ever do is just fill it half way and set my timer for 3 hours 40 mins, it take about 10 mins to warm up and start burning so i get a good 3.5 hours of burn time.i do this 5 mins after lights out and i don't check it or turn fans back on till lights come back on 12 hours later.at that time the sulfer is a hard puck and I turn on the burner just long enough to remove it.

Tank333

Tank333

I did that way in my flower room upstairs, but downstairs in the veg room I only have 4 hours of darkness to do the burn in to begin with. I plugged it in half an hour after lights out, and unplugged it maybe an hour after they turned on (I don't have an extra timer, and I forgot it was burning because we were upstairs).

The burner's instructions just say to fill the cup halfway. That's what I did. Never threw out the old puck though...

Tank333

Tank333

I think its just not heating up enough to actually make the fumes it's supposed to....

sixstring

sixstring

Do you hang it from a chain or cord of some sort? If so you should be able to see lots of sulfer on that chain about 12 to 18 inches up from the burner.if you can smell sulfer 10 mins after it turns on its working.like I mentioned I use a real small fan on low speed to slowly blow the sulfer across my canopy.it is above the burner like 5 feet higher and about 2 feet over so it is only moving some of that while some just plumes up and around the other side of the room.but yeah if it's melting the pills it's working right.ill toss up a link to the sulfer I use when I get home.but yeah man with your setup 2 to 3 burns should knock it right the fuck out :)

Tank333

Tank333

even under the vape/burner you don't see tiny lil yellow/whiteish specks on some fan leaves? Should smell for 1-3 days, def stinks strong the day after ime.
Is your cup seated close enough to the coil?
No residue anywhere. Not on the burner, not on the string I hang it with, or the bottom of the air handler directly adobve the burner, not on the plants, or even on top of the humidity dome my clones are in.

How long are you burning for? Fill it fresh on each burn for sure.
The first burn downstairs was 4 hours, the second was like 5.5 cause I forgot about it... lol.

Tank333

Tank333

Okay then. I will contact the seller and let them know I need a replacement. Gah, this is what I hate about online ordering. No way to get it replaced right away if it doesn't work...

sixstring

sixstring

it could just be some shitty sulfer to,if its melting the stuff it should be vaporizing as it melts cause mine starts putting out vapor well before I can see any melting going on like 5 mins after I turn it on.def worth buying another bag from a grow store before returning the burner.sulfer is cheap,but I have seen some stuff online that was so cheap I thought that stuff cant be any good for 4 bucks lol.

Tank333

Tank333

I'm pretty inclined to believe its the burner, honestly. The seller sells these in a package together (the burner and sulfur), and it seems more likely the burner is not working right. Its a cheap flimsy thing that was made in China...

ftwendy

ftwendy

Good point on the sulfur being a possible issue, @sixstring - I can definitely see a seller cutting a corner on that.

M

maxwell murder

How long are you burning for? Fill it fresh on each burn for sure.
i didn't know you were supposed to replace the sulfur every time hahahha i ran burners for years and never threw it out - just added some every once in a while. i used to burn an hour every nite... so if you have really bad pm how often/how long do you burn?

Latest posts

Top Bottom