Questions on indoor 5x9 tent and ac/airflow

• Thread starter Easye123
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Easye123

Easye123

Hello!!!!

Starting a new project and would like to hear other people’s opinions. Sorry in advanced for the long read.....

I have not grown in 10 years and a lot has changed.

Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I have the opportunity to use an extra room downstairs in our house for flowering. The room is 9x9. 8 feet tall. I can use a 5x9 area of that room for flowering. ( I had room in the garage for the veg so I currently have a tent in the garage with some seedlings going ).

I live in So Cal by the beach. Some say the best climate in the world year round . Outside temp is usually in the 60/70s most of the year. For a couple months , some days , some temps in the day can get into the mid to high 80s. Couple months of the “winter “ , some parts of the days can get into the low 50s. Humidity levels are usually between 40-70 percent rH outside.

Inside , the room that I want to use , stays about 72-78 most of the time. With nothing in it. It Can get to 80 when hotter outside. Rarely gets under 70 in the cold times of the year.
Humidity levels inside are usually about 50-60 %RH. Sometimes as low as 30 percent . Never really over 60 percent. I do not have central a/c. There is one window in the room that has a vertical sliding opening. There is one wall of the room that is adjacent to a garage wall if need to vent to garage.
Smell is not huge on my list of concerns but something I definitely want to try and contain as much as possible.

An A/c unit seems like it will definitely be a must for certain times of the year. I would probably only need to cool the room 5-10 degrees or so. It’s not like the temperature is 100 plus out side and I’m trying to cool down from temps in the 90s to 69

I am not experienced enough in which I feel like I can have my room and all parameters dialed in enough that a sealed room with co2 would be beneficial. Maybe once I get a few grows under my belt , then I’ll feel comfortable using co2 if needed.

Which leads me to my questions on design and what I have been thinking so far.

I am trying to figure out what would be the most efficient /best way to utilize the space in regards to air control for a room that will have 8-10 plants flowering.
I’m not trying to spend multiple thousands on the setup but I don’t mind pitching in extra to do it right. If I can save money , awesome. If not , I want to know it’s getting done right.

Equipment I currently have :
5x9 gorilla grow tent.
2 x redwood vs timber cob led for lights.
8 inch inline jetfan
8 inch phresh carbon filter
8 inch ducting.

I have 2 - 4x4 stands with trays. Planning on doing a coco (royal gold tupur ) drain to waste system . Planning to Hand feed with canna coco and elite 91 nutes.

For ac , I could get a mini split installed for about $1500. Seems a bit over kill for a 9x9 room that only needs to be on a few months of the year but definitely seems like the cleanest and most efficient way to do it. Also I know that I eventually could create a sealed environment with one of those in which co2 could be used later on if I need/want too .

I could also get a dual hose portable ac. 1k less. That would suck air in from outside and push the air back out. ( assuming some air from the room is taken in and pushed out. I could probably figure out how to seal. ). I could vent the exhaust to my garage if need be. If That way , I’m not sure the room would technically be sealed . Also , that would probably blow the smell out of the room to wherever I send the exhaust. I could put a carbon filter on the end of the exhaust hose.
That unit is only about 500$. I’ve used them before to cool a room and does a good job besides using a lot of electricity.

Is trying to create a sealed environment a must for what I am trying to do ? or is having a portable ac turn on once in a while during the hot parts of a day ok ? In which if that route , would be pushing air to the garage from the tent And pulling in fresh air from the other parts of the house into the room.

I have the ability to have a carbon filter in the tent connected to an in-line fan which could exhaust into the garage . I know that would not be a sealed room if that was running 24/7 but Fresh air would just come in from other parts of the house .
would it be better to have a scrubber carbon filter in-line to the tent. and have timer/controller to exhaust and bring in fresh air once or twice a day ? that scenario would create a sealed environment.

I’m pretty sure with a dual hose ac I can control the temps with no problem. Mini split seems pretty overkill for the space and temps I am in and trying to achieve.

Would the air exchange and levels of c02 be ok if I had a dual hose ac in the room and inside the tent had a carbon filter/ in-line fan pushing the air /heat out of the tent into the garage? That would be the most basic non complicated scenario. Thats the route I was planning on going Until I started researching more about c02 and sealed environments.
I’m not sure how much heat the timber led lights will create yet. I’m assuming not as much as hps.

I also have a hepa filter and dehumidifier if need be That I can set in the room.

If I went the mini split route , should I still exhaust into the garage with the carbon filter/fan inside the tent running all the time . Or would it best to put in a damper and timer that would control when to exhaust into the garage?

Open to any and all ideas.

Again , as of now I do not plan on running c02 as I am newer to growing. I learn quick but I have read that all parameters need to be spot on before c02 starts to be useful and I’m not sure I can keep parameters at perfect levels in which using c02 is not a waste.

Sorry again for the ramble , not quite sure how to explain it all but I think you get an idea .

Any advice is greatly appreciated !

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Welcome to the farm. I am in SoCal relatively close the beach as well. It seems you have the right idea about your grow. The temps and humidity you mention are pretty optimal for growing indoors but once you take into account the light heat, transpiration of the plants, cooler rainy weather, etc. those temps and humidity will change. Long term, the mini split will do nothing but help your situation and in turn will pay itself off after a couple harvests. If the room you’re looking to grow in has carpet, I’d raise the tent off the carpet to prevent any moisture under the tent. I’ve seen people get mold issues because of the tent being directly on the carpet. I know a couple farmers run sealed rooms so maybe they may chime in shortly. @Aquaman, @sshz ? In the meantime, looking forward to your grow journal if you decide to start one. Happy grows from a Cali local to the other.
Burnz

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Hello!!!!

Starting a new project and would like to hear other people’s opinions. Sorry in advanced for the long read.....

I have not grown in 10 years and a lot has changed.

Any advice or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I have the opportunity to use an extra room downstairs in our house for flowering. The room is 9x9. 8 feet tall. I can use a 5x9 area of that room for flowering. ( I had room in the garage for the veg so I currently have a tent in the garage with some seedlings going ).

I live in So Cal by the beach. Some say the best climate in the world year round . Outside temp is usually in the 60/70s most of the year. For a couple months , some days , some temps in the day can get into the mid to high 80s. Couple months of the “winter “ , some parts of the days can get into the low 50s. Humidity levels are usually between 40-70 percent rH outside.

Inside , the room that I want to use , stays about 72-78 most of the time. With nothing in it. It Can get to 80 when hotter outside. Rarely gets under 70 in the cold times of the year.
Humidity levels inside are usually about 50-60 %RH. Sometimes as low as 30 percent . Never really over 60 percent. I do not have central a/c. There is one window in the room that has a vertical sliding opening. There is one wall of the room that is adjacent to a garage wall if need to vent to garage.
Smell is not huge on my list of concerns but something I definitely want to try and contain as much as possible.

An A/c unit seems like it will definitely be a must for certain times of the year. I would probably only need to cool the room 5-10 degrees or so. It’s not like the temperature is 100 plus out side and I’m trying to cool down from temps in the 90s to 69

I am not experienced enough in which I feel like I can have my room and all parameters dialed in enough that a sealed room with co2 would be beneficial. Maybe once I get a few grows under my belt , then I’ll feel comfortable using co2 if needed.

Which leads me to my questions on design and what I have been thinking so far.

I am trying to figure out what would be the most efficient /best way to utilize the space in regards to air control for a room that will have 8-10 plants flowering.
I’m not trying to spend multiple thousands on the setup but I don’t mind pitching in extra to do it right. If I can save money , awesome. If not , I want to know it’s getting done right.

Equipment I currently have :
5x9 gorilla grow tent.
2 x redwood vs timber cob led for lights.
8 inch inline jetfan
8 inch phresh carbon filter
8 inch ducting.

I have 2 - 4x4 stands with trays. Planning on doing a coco (royal gold tupur ) drain to waste system . Planning to Hand feed with canna coco and elite 91 nutes.

For ac , I could get a mini split installed for about $1500. Seems a bit over kill for a 9x9 room that only needs to be on a few months of the year but definitely seems like the cleanest and most efficient way to do it. Also I know that I eventually could create a sealed environment with one of those in which co2 could be used later on if I need/want too .

I could also get a dual hose portable ac. 1k less. That would suck air in from outside and push the air back out. ( assuming some air from the room is taken in and pushed out. I could probably figure out how to seal. ). I could vent the exhaust to my garage if need be. If That way , I’m not sure the room would technically be sealed . Also , that would probably blow the smell out of the room to wherever I send the exhaust. I could put a carbon filter on the end of the exhaust hose.
That unit is only about 500$. I’ve used them before to cool a room and does a good job besides using a lot of electricity.

Is trying to create a sealed environment a must for what I am trying to do ? or is having a portable ac turn on once in a while during the hot parts of a day ok ? In which if that route , would be pushing air to the garage from the tent And pulling in fresh air from the other parts of the house into the room.

I have the ability to have a carbon filter in the tent connected to an in-line fan which could exhaust into the garage . I know that would not be a sealed room if that was running 24/7 but Fresh air would just come in from other parts of the house .
would it be better to have a scrubber carbon filter in-line to the tent. and have timer/controller to exhaust and bring in fresh air once or twice a day ? that scenario would create a sealed environment.

I’m pretty sure with a dual hose ac I can control the temps with no problem. Mini split seems pretty overkill for the space and temps I am in and trying to achieve.

Would the air exchange and levels of c02 be ok if I had a dual hose ac in the room and inside the tent had a carbon filter/ in-line fan pushing the air /heat out of the tent into the garage? That would be the most basic non complicated scenario. Thats the route I was planning on going Until I started researching more about c02 and sealed environments.
I’m not sure how much heat the timber led lights will create yet. I’m assuming not as much as hps.

I also have a hepa filter and dehumidifier if need be That I can set in the room.

If I went the mini split route , should I still exhaust into the garage with the carbon filter/fan inside the tent running all the time . Or would it best to put in a damper and timer that would control when to exhaust into the garage?

Open to any and all ideas.

Again , as of now I do not plan on running c02 as I am newer to growing. I learn quick but I have read that all parameters need to be spot on before c02 starts to be useful and I’m not sure I can keep parameters at perfect levels in which using c02 is not a waste.

Sorry again for the ramble , not quite sure how to explain it all but I think you get an idea .

Any advice is greatly appreciated !
Welcome to the farm. I am in SoCal relatively close the beach as well. It seems you have the right idea about your grow. The temps and humidity you mention are pretty optimal for growing indoors but once you take into account the light heat, transpiration of the plants, cooler rainy weather, etc. those temps and humidity will change. Long term, the mini split will do nothing but help your situation and in turn will pay itself off after a couple harvests. If the room you’re looking to grow in has carpet, I’d raise the tent off the carpet to prevent any moisture under the tent. I’ve seen people get mold issues because of the tent being directly on the carpet. I know a couple farmers run sealed rooms so maybe they may chime in shortly. @Aquaman, @sshz ? In the meantime, looking forward to your grow journal if you decide to start one. Happy grows from a Cali local to the other.
Burnz

Didn't realize you were in SoCal too Burnz!

Just dropping in to chime in - I'm not too far off the beach in Escondido (San Diego, about 20 mins inland from beach). I'm running a Timber 4VS in a 4x4 tent and with the recent heatwaves I've seen temps in the tent peak to low/mid 90's. I'm planning on adding a small AC unit in the next couple weeks just to keep things under 80-85ish in flower.

Sounds like you have a larger setup so I'm more just saying hey, happy grows and +1 on the mini split (since you've already invested a couple thousand in good equipment to start)

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter

Just dropping in to chime in - I'm not too far off the beach in Escondido (San Diego, about 20 mins inland from beach). I'm running a Timber 4VS in a 4x4 tent and with the recent heatwaves I've seen temps in the tent peak to low/mid 90's. I'm planning on adding a small AC unit in the next couple weeks just to keep things under 80-85ish in flower.

Sounds like you have a larger setup so I'm more just saying hey, happy grows and +1 on the mini split (since you've already invested a couple thousand in good equipment to start)
Yes sir, OC area. My timber trio of daisies is about to be delivered in about an hour. Stoked for my next grow, side by side, Chinese quantum board vrs timber cobs. Same wattage and same spectrum. Should be interesting.

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Yes sir, OC area. My timber trio of daisies is about to be delivered in about an hour. Stoked for my next grow, side by side, Chinese quantum board vrs timber cobs. Same wattage and same spectrum. Should be interesting.
Going to pick mine up in a couple hours 💪

Easye123

Easye123

Burnz
Sounds good. That’s for the reply! Ya since posting this , I have a electrician coming to give me a dedicated circuit for a mini split. I’m going to try and install a mr cool 12k btu myself. Just need the electrical done.

Do you think I should completely seal the room with the mini split ? Scrub room with carbon no exhaust to the garage. Fresh air occasionally when opening the door to the room ? Or should I have a exhaust/carbon /damper setup exhausting at night ? 15 min Every hour or so ?

I agree mini split pay for itself and I can move it with me if I move one day.

-Evan

Easye123

Easye123

Awesome. Good to see the lights I chose seem very popular. Can’t wait to post progress shots.

I’ll make a separate thread.

-Evan

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Awesome. Good to see the lights I chose seem very popular. Can’t wait to post progress shots.

I’ll make a separate thread.

-Evan
Indeed, great choice. Well built and locally manufactured. Looking forward to your grow journal. Do you have a seed stash? Or are you going to purchase some? Sativa or Indica smoker?

Easye123

Easye123

Indeed, great choice. Well built and locally manufactured. Looking forward to your grow journal. Do you have a seed stash? Or are you going to purchase some? Sativa or Indica smoker?

I’ve gone a little overboard. On seeds lately. Neptune seed bank to easy lol.
I have some locals with clones I might take up on when ready but right now I’m on week 3 with seedlings. There looking pretty decent. Learning a lot already about Feeding with coco.

Seeds wise I got :
Exotic genetics - strawberry float , strawberries and cream , strawberry lemonade , wowzers , greasy grapes

Umami seeds : watermelon soda
Prolific seeds : hot lava
Oni seed co : sour Trop
Dying breed : peach rings.
Relentless genetics : frosted cherry cookies
Secret seed co : motor boat.
Growing out some freebie seeds right now. And a few from the mentioned above.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
I’ve gone a little overboard. On seeds lately. Neptune seed bank to easy lol.
I have some locals with clones I might take up on when ready but right now I’m on week 3 with seedlings. There looking pretty decent. Learning a lot already about Feeding with coco.

Seeds wise I got :
Exotic genetics - strawberry float , strawberries and cream , strawberry lemonade , wowzers , greasy grapes

Umami seeds : watermelon soda
Prolific seeds : hot lava
Oni seed co : sour Trop
Dying breed : peach rings.
Relentless genetics : frosted cherry cookies
Secret seed co : motor boat.
Growing out some freebie seeds right now. And a few from the mentioned above.
Damn. Quite a collection. I have been Trying to source some local cuts but not really trust worthy on true genetics unless you know someone. With my profession I’ve got to keep it low key so I’ll stick with seeds for now haha. Ya coco needs constant feeding and saturation. There are a couple great coco threads with absolutely stunning results. You should check them out. I’ll find them if interested.

Easye123

Easye123

Damn. Quite a collection. I have been Trying to source some local cuts but not really trust worthy on true genetics unless you know someone. With my profession I’ve got to keep it low key so I’ll stick with seeds for now haha. Ya coco needs constant feeding and saturation. There are a couple great coco threads with absolutely stunning results. You should check them out. I’ll find them if interested.
Totally interested if you don’t mind

Anthem

Anthem

Easye123, welcome to the farm. Not sure what you goals are. If you are looking to maximize yield I would say CO2 is a must. With that being said, the mini split would be the only choice because the portables suck out air and with it the CO2 enrichment. A 5 x 9 in a 9 x 9 is doable but I would take a closer look at how you would set up the equipment. I see most tents as opening on the longer side of the tent and ports on the narrower side. Meaning there would be little room for intake and exhaust out of the tent. Once you get the tent up and running I believe you are going to find you need ac everyday with lights on with a sealed room. If you want to vent to the outside and bring in fresh air your AC requirements will be much lower. Good luck with your grow.

Easye123

Easye123

Easye123, welcome to the farm. Not sure what you goals are. If you are looking to maximize yield I would say CO2 is a must. With that being said, the mini split would be the only choice because the portables suck out air and with it the CO2 enrichment. A 5 x 9 in a 9 x 9 is doable but I would take a closer look at how you would set up the equipment. I see most tents as opening on the longer side of the tent and ports on the narrower side. Meaning there would be little room for intake and exhaust out of the tent. Once you get the tent up and running I believe you are going to find you need ac everyday with lights on with a sealed room. If you want to vent to the outside and bring in fresh air your AC requirements will be much lower. Good luck with your grow.
Thanks for the advice !
I have an electrician installing a disconnect for a mini split outside. Should have the mini split soon. Got a 12k btu for the room. Sounds like the route I want to go is maximize anything I can. In that case co2 might be more needed than I thought

I am planning on having the mini split keep temps steady in the room room. Dehumidifier built in too. Have a separate dehumidifier if needed. Hepa filter going in case that helps.
I am going to block off the window so no light will come in. Keep the heat out as well . The sun shines on the window for a few hours of the day.

I have been thinking about what you said about the size of the tent in the room. The front will be the long side . To The left is the garage , where I could Vent out to if needed. To the right is actually a open 2x4 closet space I could use if needed.

I guess I am still debating if I need to get a damper type setup with an exhaust fan where I could control exhaust to the garage and bring in fresh air naturally from the house when I open the door a few times a day with the ac unit is going. Trying not to waste the ac or co2 doing exhaust at lights off then sealed by the damper during lights on. Or should I keep it completely sealed as much as I can , ac controlled and every time I open the door that would be bringing fresh air to the room.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Totally interested if you don’t mind
Here is one of the recent ones. Great diary. Very informative. Coco grow, auto feed. Good luck. Also 👆 anthem knows his stuff as well.
Burnz

*edited
The coco grow is toward the end

Latest posts

Top Bottom