Quick flip or slow flip?

• Thread starter BigBlonde
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I am flipping my plants this week and have been pondering whether it's best to quick flip or slow flip. By "quick flip" I mean to go from 18-6 to 12-12 in one day. A "slow flip" would be to do it gradually, over a span of several days to a week. On the first day of flip, I changed to 16-8. Next, after a day or two, I plan to change to 14-10 and then change to 12-12, also after a day or two. Does a slow flip seem like a good idea or does it matter? I'm thinking a slow flip might be less stressful for the plants.

Cannagar

Cannagar

I am flipping my plants this week and have been pondering whether it's best to quick flip or slow flip. By "quick flip" I mean to go from 18-6 to 12-12 in one day. A "slow flip" would be to do it gradually, over a span of several days to a week. On the first day of flip, I changed to 16-8. Next, after a day or two, I plan to change to 14-10 and then change to 12-12, also after a day or two. Does a slow flip seem like a good idea or does it matter? I'm thinking a slow flip might be less stressful for the plants.
I’ve tried both. I haven’t noticed any benefit in the slow flip. It just takes longer for the plant to start flowering.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I think we think about stuff like this because it makes us feel better, not the plants. It totally makes sense that in nature, it is not a quick flip as you head to fall, so let's do the natural thing and mimic that slow change in photoperiod. In reality, I believe that a slow flip is like becoming gently pregnant over a few months. Naw, doesn't work like that. You are either pregnant or not.

The plant reaches a critical point at which it flips to flower all at once, or it doesn't. There is no middle ground really. So it will flip fast internally regardless of what we do with the lighting. Now going backwards and reveg - that is a little different.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

depends how soon you want to plant to flip to flower really, dropping slowly to 12/12 is only that, slow. speed things up and let her know what she need to do ✌️

GrilledCheeze

GrilledCheeze

The first thing I think of is that the plants respond instantly to light. You don't gradually turn up your light intensity for each day night cycle because that is not necessary. Plants process the transition of growth stages over time using mechanisms based on the presence of their environmental triggers, not necessarily on the intensity of those environmental triggers.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Just flip them to 12/12...I've seen this question a few times on here but its only from those relatively new to indoor growing wanting to mimic nature. Not to say you are new to this or that its wrong to do but that's been my observation, all of the old growers I know just flip them and get the show on the road.

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Just flip 12/12. No need to go "slowly" imo. Ive read you can give them 24 hrs darkness at the change and that speeds things up, but thats just BS if you ask me.

Top Bottom