Quick, help!! How do I make root riots stand up in cut tray??!!

• Thread starter sweetgreen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sweetgreen

So duh I seem to have overlooked an important detail here. Some seeds have a nice tap root and need to go into the Root Riots I have. Only problem is they don't stand up on their own as they're slightly tapered in at the bottom.

I don't have one of those tray's with individual plugs that I can stick these in. All I have is basic open cut trays(with little grooves cut into bottom running full length). I guess I figured they would stand up on their own.

I do have some 2" and 5" net pots and hydroton I could use I guess. These seedlings will all eventually go into my RDWC with 6" 5 gallon lids. But I don't have all that gear yet(a few more days). So I need to put these seeds into these Root Riots now and put them in a make shift propagator(2 cut trays, one upside down on top).

I feel like I'm missing a basic obvious step here.....Maybe I should take a day off from smoking

dextr0

dextr0

Turn it upside down. I stick Xacto blade in plug to make a big enough hole. They will stand up.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Best ever "tray" for those are the Plastic Solo beer cups and a clear cup for the top. This way the plugs will not fall over. Also serves as a great humid dome.
Or you can use toothpic's in a cross pattern on the bottom of the plugs to stand them up. Or pack them side by side so they will stand up on there own.
Honestly using a clear beer cup and a colored beer cup for the bottom work's great. You can also label each cup so you do not mix up strains.
They do make tray's for the root riot plugs. Each plug get's it's own hole in the tray. But for the money the Solo Beer cup's are the way to go.

S

sweetgreen

Thanks man...I think I'm just going to stick them in the 2" net pot for now, as they taper to a pretty small point.

Also how long roughly till there are roots coming out of the plug and I'll need to transplant to it's vegging home? And how often do I water the seedling again? They're just showing tap roots right now

Thanks again

Latest posts

Top Bottom