Quick question about fish fertlizer

• Thread starter Afghi420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Afghi420

Afghi420

Can someone please help me with this question.. I noticed a local market here had this Neptune fish fertlizer in the fall, i stopped by today and a worker took me out back where he found a couple bottles that were stuck away in a box in a small shed. Im just wondering if being left in a shed to freeze, then unfreeze then freeze again would hurt the product? We had some very cold temperatures (-15 to -30C) for a couple weeks straight, then it warmed up above freezing, now it's back below freezing again.. I don't want to waste my money if that would affect the quality of the product.. I was going to buy a bottle today, but i think i will wait a day or two and get an answer before i waste my money.

K

kolah

The stuff is very pricey. I'd offer him half the price. The stuff is a bit stinky and attracts flies.
I think it would be OK to use even if it froze but I would not even consider buying it if it was subjected to hot temps though. To be sure, why not call (or email) Neptune and ask them . Btw they have bragging rights that their products grew a 1600 pound pumpkin (pics are on their site)
Phone:
1(800)259-4769

side note: with the Fukishima disaster I am a bit cautious about using commercial fertilizer derived from fish. (organic or not). Neptunes website has a pretty good pdf format discussing their products.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
side note: with the Fukishima disaster I am a bit cautious about using commercial fertilizer derived from fish. (organic or not). Neptunes website has a pretty good pdf format discussing their products.

wow..I never even thought of that..crap...
Maybe I should stock up on the stuff before it get worse..

Alaska Fish Fert is Great stuff
Fish qt

symbiote420

symbiote420

I'm using Soluble Fish Powder for the 1st time, I loved my results with Neptune's Fish & Seaweed ......says the powder has a very long shelf life when stored right. Plus peeps have told me it's a superior product, the fact I'm paying for more nutrient than water is a great plus too!

K

kolah

I like that old Alaska Fish fert and used in for many years in my veggie gardens..it stinks though..but not too awful bad.

If I lived close to the ocean (or big lakes) I'd hit the fishing docks and ask for fresh scraps and such.

I may give Neptune a try this year. Some of their bloom stuff looks appealing.

drbombay

drbombay

neptune is north atlantic fisheries by product. freezing does not help it.it has an expiration date on th e label. check . they have 50# sacks of kelp meal mostly canadian at this point and the crab meal is bomb. if you lived by the docks when the dehyd/gurry plant was still around. you would embrace the jugs.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
My son in law gave me a 50lb sack of Kelp powder..I hope it has a long self life....lol
Because I use a quarter cup with 5 gal water..(gives me Bout 900ppm)..
Im set with organic K for a bit;)

cannabeans

cannabeans

"Fish emulsion" is different that "fish hydroslate". If I were going to buy either of the two products, I would choose the "hyrdoslate" because it is "digested" through enzymes that reatain many more nutrients than the emulsion does. It is also slightly less stinky. I read on their website that the "neptunes harvest" is definitely fish "hydroslate".

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
"Fish emulsion" is different that "fish hydroslate". If I were going to buy either of the two products, I would choose the "hyrdoslate" because it is "digested" through enzymes that reatain many more nutrients than the emulsion does. It is also slightly less stinky. I read on their website that the "neptunes harvest" is definitely fish "hydroslate".
good to know...i think Alaska is emulsion..guess I should switch

drbombay

drbombay

kolah the dehydrate/gurry plant is where they use to process the fish waste when there were fish in the sea. it was waste. guts bones blood skin etc. it was open vented. slow cooked and water removed. they made meal, fish emulsion and pet food. between that and the good bait rotting it wasa quite a blast to the nose. you could smell the place for miles on a damp hot day. one of the big steps forward in the formulation of modern (1980) fish fert has been the fabreezing and stabilization of the goo.

ken keep the kelp cool and dry. i have it in a rubbermaid trash barrel. goo snap lid nolight. give it to your vegetables. a light top dress under a dash of fresh active compost under good active growth. some intresting chelates and plant hormones in the first cool(temp) rot. k is the end value. by no means the total.

emulsion hydrosolate different physical means to the same end. micro fine stays in suspension separates slowly .emulsion has an additive (emulsifing agent) not by definition good or bad. lots of choices. both affect shelf life. when they "go bad" oftenit is the emulsifier or scent modifer that turn first. hell the fish is already bad. like yogurt or beer. myself (IMO) i think it can be used in teas as a food past the expire date. sorry this has become really long winded and probably a bit dull. but i love the sea. and gardening thanks bombay

K

kolah

Dr B, the gurry plant sounds quite nasty...but was the end product a good one? and are they still in operation?

drbombay

drbombay

long gone. they tend to follow the fish.(down hill from the cannery) the meal was amazing. dirt cheap. smelled attracted flies. now it is mostly fresh seaweeds and crab meal for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom