Quick question before I start my build.

• Thread starter Bobby_604
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bobby_604

Hi,

Im kinda stuck in terms of the drain and feed connections. Will 1" bulkheads work for draining? 1/2" for feed?

http://www.joetruhan.com/

Mine have an additional 1 inch of length that the ones provided in the link. Each bulkhead is about 2 1/2 inches long.
:party0042:

C

CannaColorado

I was told to put some wire clamp screw tightener dealys(what the fuck are those called) on the 1/2". No experience there, just was instructed so thought i would pass that on.

L

Lost

Yup, gotta agree. If your using over 1800 gph the first few fittings will have a tendency to pop off with fun results... lol..

Use clamps, a bag of em is about 12 bucks at homedepot. Also clamp the line at the pump. Nothing like a geyser shooting the cieling of you grow room..

O

OregonMeds

Zip ties work if you don't mind having to cut them off. Some pliers help to pull it nice and tight.

L

Lost

A zip tie will not hold the pressure you will see in a 1800 gph pump, do it right the first time and get the stainless steel plumbing clamps. Its 12 bucks for a bag of 10... If you end up with 200 gallons of water on the floor... More than 12 bucks!

O

OregonMeds

They are stronger than you think man, there's just no way any of these pumps can break them provided you are using hoses over fittings that have a lip on them.
(And properly sized zip tie, not some wimpy skinny thing.)

You and I combined couldn't break one or tear it off a fitting without using tools or breaking the fitting itself.

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

but hose clamps have the advantage of being reusable and removable...

L

Lost

OM -im not gong to argue with you but there is no way in hell a standard zip tie will hold my 1 inch feed tubing on my 2400 gph pump. You would have to tighten the thing with pliers and thats just Kludge..

Its like Chris Rock said once... "You can drive your car with your feet if you WANT to.... But that don't make it a good fucking idea!"

M

mcattak

OM -im not gong to argue with you but there is no way in hell a standard zip tie will hold my 1 inch feed tubing on my 2400 gph pump. You would have to tighten the thing with pliers and thats just Kludge..

Its like Chris Rock said once... "You can drive your car with your feet if you WANT to.... But that don't make it a good fucking idea!"

Thanks for the laugh....And oregon you must be smarter than I am...I have used hosing and zip ties for a long time and eventually they always come lose...

mc

O

OregonMeds

Yep

They make hose clamps that are strong and heavy and made of plastic and work like zip ties but I don't know what they're called or where to find them. Those have a unlocking tab and are reusable. There are also reusable zip ties with unlocking tabs just don't reuse them too many times.

Keep in mind the same things are used as handcuffs, some of you know it too well.

Get strong ones if you want to try them.

ALLegal420

ALLegal420

Premium Member
Supporter
The best clamps you can get are called T-bolt clamps and come in stainless steel. I don't believe home depot or lowe's carries them (could be wrong though). Check out your local harware stores, plumber or specialty harware places like fasteners.They work far better than your typical screw hose clamp but are quite a bit more expensive.

M

mcattak

Yep

They make hose clamps that are strong and heavy and made of plastic and work like zip ties but I don't know what they're called or where to find them. Those have a unlocking tab and are reusable. There are also reusable zip ties with unlocking tabs just don't reuse them too many times.

Keep in mind the same things are used as handcuffs, some of you know it too well.

Get strong ones if you want to try them.

Those plastic hose clamps are better than the zip ties....I still think you can ratchet down those steel hose clamps with a screw driver tighter than zip ties or the plastic hose clamps....

mc

O

OregonMeds

It's not like I'm trying to sell zip ties or say it's a better idea, just works for me. And yes I already said you need pliers to get them tight enough, otherwise you just can't get a good enough grip it's not a kludge just a fact.

But I don't use a 2400gph pump and I don't use the heavy hard hoses many of you do either so I'm sure that's part of why it works for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom