Quick question on autoflowers vs photoperiod

• Thread starter Deforced
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Deforced

Deforced

Hi, I've always grown photoperiod plants and don't know anyone who actually grows autoflowers. Are the yeild the same as they say on the seed selling sites? Or is it just a thing they say to get you buy the seeds?
I just can't understand how an auto can yeild as much as a photoperiod with half the time to grow. I'm always willing to give them a try but you guys might have some feedback, maybe some autogrowers will chime in. Thanks

growsince79

growsince79

Hi, I've always grown photoperiod plants and don't know anyone who actually grows autoflowers. Are the yeild the same as they say on the seed selling sites? Or is it just a thing they say to get you buy the seeds?
I just can't understand how an auto can yeild as much as a photoperiod with half the time to grow. I'm always willing to give them a try but you guys might have some feedback, maybe some autogrowers will chime in. Thanks
I don't do autos, but I do know growers who do. IMO some autos can produce as much as some photos in half the time. And some photos can produce twice as much as some autos in the same time. From what I've seen autos are a craps shoot. And if you do get a winner, you can't clone it. As far as yield in a given space, I don't think autos can ever compete with a good mother and clones.

Last edited:
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I don't do autos, but I do know growers who do. IMO some autos can produce as much as some photos in half the time. And some photos can produce twice as much as some autos in the same time. From what I've seen autos are a craps shoot. And if you do get a winner, you can't clone it. As far as yield in a given space, I don't think autos can ever compete with a good mother and clones.
That's just it: a seed run is a crap shoot. I love the mystery of doing seed runs, but why give up on the possible reward of a keeper?

I used to live in a situation where I had no place to keep clones (when I lived in an illegal state), so all my grows were crap shoots. I can't imagine willingly going back to growing only crap shoots.

growsince79

growsince79

That's just it: a seed run is a crap shoot. I love the mystery of doing seed runs, but why give up on the possible reward of a keeper?

I used to live in a situation where I had no place to keep clones (when I lived in an illegal state), so all my grows were crap shoots. I can't imagine willingly going back to growing only crap shoots.
If you have seeds that are all good, it's not too much of a crap shoot. If you have 1000 seeds from the same parents and you grow 10 and the are all pretty much the same and all good, then you know the rest probably are too. Buying 6 packs of seeds is always a risk. $10-$100 for a seed that might be garbage.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

If you have seeds that are all good, it's not too much of a crap shoot. If you have 1000 seeds from the same parents and you grow 10 and the are all pretty much the same and all good, then you know the rest probably are too. Buying 6 packs of seeds is always a risk. $10-$100 for a seed that might be garbage.
I don't want to imply that most non-keepers are crap. A pack from a good breeder may have all nice plants, but only a few will really do it for me. The rest will be smoked if I run out of the preferred stuff before my next grow is complete.

growsince79

growsince79

I don't want to imply that most non-keepers are crap. A pack from a good breeder may have all nice plants, but only a few will really do it for me. The rest will be smoked if I run out of the preferred stuff before my next grow is complete.
There's always gonna be one thats just better than the rest. That's why I do photos. with autos you can't clone if you do find a good one.

7munkee

7munkee

I grew out an OG Kush auto and it just went into the jars to cure. 154 grams. It was my first auto and my first indoor plant. I thought killed it because all the leaves on top were yellow for the last 3 weeks of flower.

I get an average of 7 oz per plant outside so it is definitely comparable yields.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

I am fairly new to the Cannabis world. I have never tried autos, not sure I want to. I even got some freebie auto seeds, but ya never know, it may happen. The thing that concerns me most about autos is the question of potency. You basically are crossing a Sativa or Indica, with a Ruderalis as I understand it. In other words, you have a THC x non-THC cross. I could see how many years of careful, intentional breeding would be able to bring about high THC strains from this sort of cross, but how do you know for sure you have a pure strain that will be high THC every time?

Perhaps I am not understanding and I am still learning. I have seen some folks grow some nice autos but not sure how potent they are in the end. I would be curious what others think of the potency of their auto flowers.

Fruity.Guy

Fruity.Guy

I am fairly new to the Cannabis world. I have never tried autos, not sure I want to. I even got some freebie auto seeds, but ya never know, it may happen. The thing that concerns me most about autos is the question of potency. You basically are crossing a Sativa or Indica, with a Ruderalis as I understand it. In other words, you have a THC x non-THC cross. I could see how many years of careful, intentional breeding would be able to bring about high THC strains from this sort of cross, but how do you know for sure you have a pure strain that will be high THC every time?

Perhaps I am not understanding and I am still learning. I have seen some folks grow some nice autos but not sure how potent they are in the end. I would be curious what others think of the potency of their auto flowers.
I'm guessing that a lot of breeders simplify the breeding path they took. They might say a strain was from a cross between say a Sativa X Ruderalis, but they might have carried that population a few generations to sort out the best qualities in the offspring. Plant breeders call it recombination. If they are trying to make an auto version that is similar to some famous breed they either keep the generations going until they find something very similar, or they have backcrossing going on just to "introgress" the autoflower trait. Autos can have very good or poor quality just like regular ones can be good or bad. But because they are autos, the plants will bloom right away and plants are small.

7munkee

7munkee

I'm guessing that a lot of breeders simplify the breeding path they took. They might say a strain was from a cross between say a Sativa X Ruderalis, but they might have carried that population a few generations to sort out the best qualities in the offspring. Plant breeders call it recombination. If they are trying to make an auto version that is similar to some famous breed they either keep the generations going until they find something very similar, or they have backcrossing going on just to "introgress" the autoflower trait. Autos can have very good or poor quality just like regular ones can be good or bad. But because they are autos, the plants will bloom right away and plants are small.
Small is relative. I pulled over 5 ounces from an OG Kush auto.

But I agree. Good breeders are very few and when you find one, stick with it.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Well I’ve had autos veg for 5 weeks before flowering and others that do it in 2. You never really know but I really suggest 420fastbuds autoflowers! I’ve never seen such vigorous plants they always catch up and pass my photos, it blows me away but the yeild usually isn’t as big.
For me I just like having one here and there in between my photoperiod runs. Potency suffers most of the time unless your running fastbuds genetics. I’ve heard mephisto is crazy good too.

Down below are 2 fastbuds strains the mimosa cake and wedding cheesecake. The mimosa flowered in like 2 weeks and yielded only just over an ounce. It was super high quality just like the photoperiods. The wedding cheesecake vegged for 5 weeks and gave me over 3 oz. it’s kinda fun to see what you will get as I have plenty of photos always running too.
Mimosa cake
A76E04D6 105E 4F0A 9D46 ABB38AE95DD1

Wedding cheesecake
AEBB6DF1 1F80 4109 9121 CDCEBC3CB5BC

PK1

PK1

Supporter
you can throw some autos into your veg tent that photoperiod plants are in and just let it do its thing. With some normal training you can make it yield more but its a shot in the blue. Autos have their own brain and do what they wants, not what you want. one of the pros is that you have more harvest while your photoperiod plants grow up further.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

You do not run autoflowers the same as photos, it is a trade off speed for yield, yes the breeders lie, I have been running autos 10+ years and pulled some nice weight off autoflowers but not like breeder says, the weed is just as good and when my 3 plants leave the veg tent for flower closet start 3 more, so you get less weed much quicker and grow perpetually in my state you can have 3 plants in flower and 3 in veg. A few pics

20210801 093921
20210808 053843
20191228 182511
20190802 195018
PK1

PK1

Supporter
You do not run autoflowers the same as photos, it is a trade off speed for yield, yes the breeders lie, I have been running autos 10+ years and pulled some nice weight off autoflowers but not like breeder says, the weed is just as good and when my 3 plants leave the veg tent for flower closet start 3 more, so you get less weed much quicker and grow perpetually in my state you can have 3 plants in flower and 3 in veg. A few pics
auto's don't need 12/12 to start flowering so 18/6 keeps a photoperiod in veg while autos are in flowers. but i want to know why you make a bold statement that you can't grow autos' with photoperiod plants after 10 years that you''ve been growing?

josefrahl

josefrahl

I've grown both. I prefer autos because of space limitation. I can grow 2 different strains giving me more variety with autos. For the yeilds I'd say they're pretty close. I've done the math on a few grows and have been under a little and over a little. Once I learn what a strain likes and how far I can push the training I'm usually over. The ones I've grown have been on the lower side of THC(8-10), and a decent amount of CBD(5-12), but that's what I prefer nowadays. On quality- I haven't smoked regularly in decades before it was legal out here in AZ so I'm not going to claim to be some kind of connoisseur, but I usually give away a 1/4 or so to my Aunt's bf. The last 2 he said have been the best smoke he's had since we legalized medical, and he's been smoking his whole life. Whether he was buttering me up to get more free... Who knows? Lol. 😂

Last edited:
PK1

PK1

Supporter
see if you want high yielder than auto's arn't the way to go. You simply don't have enough time or abilities to do much with an auto. This is why i said, the pros of autos is that you can drop with photoperiods and get consistent yield. Photoperiods you can do all sort of trainings and hit a homerun with lots more yield.

So, the question you gotta ask yourself is that do you want to have consistent grow and have weed or can you go through some month without smoking and just growing that plant to its potential?

alanmac101

alanmac101

its all about genetics my friend great genetics carefull handling youll be won over by the time you can turn these little babies around and if it says on breeders pack or online theyre 8-10 weeks? tak e it with a pinch of salf theyll be ready when theyre ready friend as for how they can produce what they produce in shorter times? its what theyre bred for dude.... nothings the same you can plant the same seed x50 and youll NOT get the same time after time so just keep on keeping on friend give em a try whats 60-80 days to a man whose used to 16=20 weeks? haha gd luck bud.

Millwright

Millwright

I
Well I’ve had autos veg for 5 weeks before flowering and others that do it in 2. You never really know but I really suggest 420fastbuds autoflowers! I’ve never seen such vigorous plants they always catch up and pass my photos, it blows me away but the yeild usually isn’t as big.
For me I just like having one here and there in between my photoperiod runs. Potency suffers most of the time unless your running fastbuds genetics. I’ve heard mephisto is crazy good too.

Down below are 2 fastbuds strains the mimosa cake and wedding cheesecake. The mimosa flowered in like 2 weeks and yielded only just over an ounce. It was super high quality just like the photoperiods. The wedding cheesecake vegged for 5 weeks and gave me over 3 oz. it’s kinda fun to see what you will get as I have plenty of photos always running too.
Mimosa cake
View attachment 1198225
Wedding cheesecake View attachment 1198226
I run 420 as well, I have Mexican Airlines going now. Grew their Auto BlackBerry last year. What a stunner. Check out Brother Mendels. He works with Mephisto. I have a Pineapple Thai Stick OG from Mendel going right now.
Did Blueberry Bride and Wedding Sorbet last spring, WOW!
Look at GoMendel or check out Mendel’s Auto Room on fb.✌️

Top Bottom