Quick thoughts to ponder for experienced growers

• Thread starter THegrowshow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

THegrowshow

So i'm checking out Jorge book (the grow bible) because Im trying to get ideas for a new build out and Im confronted with the age old question....600 or 1000 watter...but with a twist I have yet to see examined. Check out the math and let me know what you think.

1000-watt 600-watt
1 foot away 140,000 lumens 1 foot away 90,000 lumens
2 feet away 35,000 lumens 2 feet away 22,500 lumens
3 feet away 15,555 lumens 3 feet away 9,999 lumens
4 feet away 9,999 lumens 4 feet away 6428 lumens

4*4= 16 square feet 3*3 = 9 square feet

So if I were to do a 6,000 watt room I would do do 6 1000s or 10 600s and keeping with these numbers this is the area I could cover.

16 (square feet at 10,000 lumens)* 6 ( number of lights I could fit in the 4*4 blocks) = 96 square feet at 10,000 lumens.

9 (square feet at 10,000 lumens) * 10 ( number of lights I could fit in the 3*3 blocks) = 90 square feet at 10,000 lumens.

Who cares about points of light and how close you can hang the plants when your getting a 5% increase in area that can handle the 10,000 lumen threshold. SO I WILL STAY WITH MY 1000 AND THEY GET DEEPER IN MY BUSHES I LOVE TO GROW AND LESS MONEY ON SOME ROOKIE LIGHTWEIGHT BULB LOL AND LESS MONEY ON MORE HOODS.

T

THegrowshow

and from my experience par watts and lumens are proportional so I WANT MY FUCKING LUMENS and I WANT MY SQUARE FOOTAGE FOR MY TREES DAMMIT LOL!!!

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Penetration is certainly critical, but if you have a small plant, the penetration of a 600 is just fine. I'm running AC hoods with 600s. The tops are 6" from the light with no ill effect. Don't think I could do that with a 1000, but at 12" rather then 6" might event things out given the increased wattage of a 1000w.

So if you want to run 600s, just grow smaller plants.

outwest

ttystikk

ttystikk

Here's another point to ponder; Why did you choose sealed/open rooms, and are their biggest strengths?

Also, and along similar lines, I used to think tents were a waste of money, good only for those without the necesary skills to put up a decent growzone of their own. More recently, I've come to think very differently and I'm now of the belief that while it may be possible to build a better growroom than pitching a similarly sized tent, it will certainly be more costly, more time consuming and far less portable.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

At 10000 lumens per sq.ft. you have 6 sq.ft. more with the 1k's and better penetration so the 1k's will yield more. I run a 600, but only because of my small space. When I move into a bigger house with a basement I'm gonna get a 10 x 10 (or something close) and put a few 1k's in there for my flower room, but I'll keep the 600's for a veg tent.

Anyways, I think 1k's are better overall so if you have the cooling capability go with them.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Another thing, if you have enough space you can put each 1k over a 5x5 space instead of 4x4. You will get more overall yield, but slightly less per sq.ft., obviously, you can only do this if you have enough space. Either way, you can get great yields with 6 1k's.

K

kushsmoker30

At 10000 lumens per sq.ft. you have 6 sq.ft. more with the 1k's and better penetration so the 1k's will yield more. I run a 600, but only because of my small space. When I move into a bigger house with a basement I'm gonna get a 10 x 10 (or something close) and put a few 1k's in there for my flower room, but I'll keep the 600's for a veg tent.

Anyways, I think 1k's are better overall so if you have the cooling capability go with them.

hella 1000's for the bigger harder nuggz:)

T

THegrowshow

Are there any formulas or scientific research relating to the 600 vs. 100 and there actual penetration?

ATAK.1

ATAK.1

C'mon bro- stop trying to be all smarty pants and just get the 1k's. If you're gonna grow, then GROW.
Or since it practically cost the same, just get dimmable 1k ballasts and set them to 600w. That way it's as easy as flipping a switch and changing out the bulb.

psilobuds

psilobuds

go with the 1000w mate, you won't be disappointed. they're the shit!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Are there any formulas or scientific research relating to the 600 vs. 100 and there actual penetration?

I'm sure there is research that shows 1k's penetrate deeper then 600's, with or without cannabis. Some legit companies use HID lights to grow vegetation. Not only does research support the claim that 1k's penetrate more then 600's, but the inverse square law also supports this.

K

kushsmoker30

Or since it practically cost the same, just get dimmable 1k ballasts and set them to 600w. That way it's as easy as flipping a switch and changing out the bulb.

thats the only way to do it, if ur in the market for lights just get dimmable ballast. have u seen hypo tek ballast? they dim down to 500w-750w-1000w n extra at 1100w, also they make a bulb for there ballast. got my ballast n bulb for $215 out the door....kinda hard to beat that

T

THegrowshow

Lol you guys dont understand i have this asshole friend whose running 10 1000s and hes pulling over gram a watt and i cant quite get it and the little piece of shit brags and tells me how he has the magic recipe ànd its pissing me off i cant get it trying to pull out all the stops

ATAK.1

ATAK.1

So if you're trying to pull out all the stops then why even consider 600's in the first place? And why even start this thread?

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Lol you guys dont understand i have this asshole friend whose running 10 1000s and hes pulling over gram a watt and i cant quite get it and the little piece of shit brags and tells me how he has the magic recipe ànd its pissing me off i cant get it trying to pull out all the stops

Just accuse him of using PGR's and tell him thats cheating lol

K

kushsmoker30

Just accuse him of using PGR's and tell him thats cheating lol

AAAAhahahahah good 1 lex!!!

growshow do u have co2? if not u need it, get u a tank n regulator

do u make bennie teas or add bennies to ur medium? if not then go to nutrients forum n check out CAP's forum n learn a lil new. take care of ur roots n they will take care of ur plants, big roots = big fruits :)

do u air cool ur lights? if ur A/C can handle it try not air cooling ur hoods, that dam glass takes away from ur lumens n plain n simp lumens = weight.

these r things u can do without having to change too much of what ur already doing as far as ur recipe goes n set up goes, other than u will have to feed more n more often...if ur in soil try coco as it's easier to hit higher numbers in coco.

highly doubt ur boy has the magic recipe that blows everything else away, most likley it's a combo of things including his environment.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I agree with Kushsmoker, co2 will boost growth (if not used yet), bennies will help your roots and there is no secret recipe. He either dialed in his environment and nutes really good or he is using pgr's (not lol this time). Like I said before, you could also put each light over a 5x5 instead of 4x4 space and veg a lil longer to increase yield.

Top Bottom