R.O. System confusion....

• Thread starter samino
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
samino

samino

Ok heres the problem. My tap water comes out between 130-140 ppm's not that bad but I thought I would try RO water with my coco grow. This is a new RO 4 stage system and the water comes out at 0 ppm's, but as soon as I add 1 teaspoon of Magical I get a reading of my original tap water ppm's, its at 130-140 again. So, is this thing actually working or is it just masking the ppm's. Should I try a better brand membrane? What do you guys think?

sixstring

sixstring

Sounds like your adding 1 30 ppm magical to your clean water.1 tsp of calmag plus In my ro brings it to 180 to 200ppm.

samino

samino

Just wondering what was going on, Cuz when I added Magical to my tap 5 gal, a tsp would only bring my ppms up by 40 ppms. I know In ro that ppms would be higher, but I just didnt think 1 tsp in 5 gal of ro that it would go to 130-140. It just seem kinda odd since the numbers match my tap water readings!

samino

samino

In the very first post I forgot to mention that this is 1 tsp per 5 gallons of RO vs 5 gallons of tap!

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

Have you calibrated uour meter lately, dont think its the issue but i see you have 2 threads where ppm is the issue!

samino

samino

Yes, I have calibrated the bluelab ppm pen. This pen is also fairly new, just got as a replacement about a month ago! I have another new in the box I could use to check, but i dont think the pens an issue!

SonOfDaMourning

SonOfDaMourning

Try when you feed to have a decent amount of runofff. This will reset your nute composition in the medium and avoid build up and ultimately lockout!

samino

samino

Im not worried about the nutes. Im just wondering if this is normal for an RO unit.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

The RO is clean leaving room for you to add all the stuff your plant needs, Tap water takes up some of those ppms with minerals and chemicals etc. Your really measuring the conductivity of the water, so when you only see a 40 ppm jump using tap water it likely just means your over saturating it with Cal or Mag, continue using the RO and Cal Mag. No worries .

Peace

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
When you are working with Ro Water with little to no ppm , just a drop of anything will make it swing wildly, take some of your Ro Water and put your PH Meter in it, the meter will get all fucked up trying to get the PH b/c there is no Minerals to Buffer the water...:cigar:

Top Bottom