R-Tech insulation for reflective walls?

• Thread starter KGBudman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KGBudman

Wondering if anyone knows if it's worthy as a reflective surface on the walls. It's the styrofoam 4x8 sheets from HD with one side reflective. I have a 100' roll of CAP xtreme diamond foil. It's a bitch to get flat and doesn't seem as reflective as the styro board. Also, looks can be deceiving, that's why I am asking.By LOOKS, aluminum foil would be more reflective on the shiny side but, I've read it's the flat side thats more reflective. :)

kushjunkie

kushjunkie

I've found the R-tech to be a great building material, but I always cover it with white plastic. Seems that it would work fine though with silver side out though.

Mogrow

Mogrow

i'm putting some up today in my new flower room, i wanted the thicker stuff but settled for the 1 inch stuff, used roofing nails with the big washers to put it up. i think it will work well. but i don't know diddly squat...
peace mogrow

420alldaze

420alldaze

i'm putting some up today in my new flower room, i wanted the thicker stuff but settled for the 1 inch stuff, used roofing nails with the big washers to put it up. i think it will work well. but i don't know diddly squat...
peace mogrow
View attachment 206202
hey brother, that stuff will work perfectly,just get some aluminum tape. its like 8 bucks a roll and you can seal all your joints with it. grow on my friend ,lookin good 42o

Mogrow

Mogrow

got it, it looks great.. used the shit out of it today...

joehank

joehank

I used it also, but first I stapled up plastic sheeting( heavy grade ) to the studs, and used sheetrock screws to put the 4x8's over the plastic. Then I used the reflective tape for the joints. I thought this would help seal the room better and the plastic I left 3 inches out on all sides so I could duct tape it to the ceilings and floor also.

silverhaze

silverhaze

Wondering if anyone knows if it's worthy as a reflective surface on the walls. It's the styrofoam 4x8 sheets from HD with one side reflective. I have a 100' roll of CAP xtreme diamond foil. It's a bitch to get flat and doesn't seem as reflective as the styro board. Also, looks can be deceiving, that's why I am asking.By LOOKS, aluminum foil would be more reflective on the shiny side but, I've read it's the flat side thats more reflective. :)

R-Tech is a great building material and easy to use and install. I use it mostly for the ceilings. As far as the foil side/vs. the white side with type, take two scrap pieces of it outside into the sunlight. One piece white side up, the other, foil side up. You'll notice immediately that the foil side gets hot, really hot immediately. Foil reflects heat and therefore I don't use it (think of sunshades on your car). You want to make it bright but not hot. I personally only use the white side. Like mentioned above, sometimes a good idea to use a panda film either beneath it as a vapor layer or over the top for (possibly) better reflection. Good luck!

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Yup, i also use it and luke most metioned, i tape with silver foil for the joints.
Confu...

K

KGBudman

I just decided to leave it white paint for a bit cause I couldn't make up my mind. Reflectivity can be tricky I think, as far as hot spots I mean. I'm trying adjustawings for the 1st time and...well, lets just say they are very different. Having a bit of a tough time figuring the proper placement. Seems they cook the stuff on the edges of the hood. So when they are stacked side by side that concentrated light is now doubled at the edges. What to do?

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

I used it also, but first I stapled up plastic sheeting( heavy grade ) to the studs, and used sheetrock screws to put the 4x8's over the plastic. Then I used the reflective tape for the joints. I thought this would help seal the room better and the plastic I left 3 inches out on all sides so I could duct tape it to the ceilings and floor also.
Rather than plastic as a vapor barrier ive been using housewrap,its tough as nails and pretty cheap.Dont buy the tyvek buy the home depot or lowes brand its half price.

Top Bottom