Radiant heat for flower room?

• Thread starter Dabward
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dabward

Dabward

I'm wrapping up a high end grow space. There are some factors I missed entirely. Like the 2 zone minisplit can either be AC or heat but not both at the same time. Since I'm going to be using co² and 1200watts actual power leds and 200watt of IR and maybe 100 watt of UV for good measure. Ill need heat.. So I have 2 options. Change my intake for flowering to outside air. But that will only help in the summer and gives me far less controll. OR I'm thinking radiant heat pad and some floating laminate..Does anyone have any experience or insight. Any radiant work better for a grow application...Please and thank you

Homesteader

Homesteader

I would just add more light but in depends on the ambient temp during the winter vs summer I guess. Seems like a waste of an expensive product to be honest and a bit of a danger if something gets left on. A pallet can raise it up if need be or something high end if you prefer.

Dabward

Dabward

I'm in a garage space with steel studs framing the grow. And plenty of close outlets to wire Into.. Floor is concrete.. Im thinking dont cheap out on laminate radiant heat. But get the kind for tile. Sandwich it between the garage floor and 1/2in cement board. To the edges. Which I can just seal with caulk. And then maybe top that with just stick down tile.. not sure about the covering in that scenario

Smithers

Smithers

Do you mean it cannot do heat at one zone while at the same time cool the other zone? Or heat a zone while the AC is on within that zone?

I’m looking into upgrading to a mini split in the future and will need to research picking one someday. Curious what features are best/needed.

Dabward

Dabward

I would just add more light but in depends on the ambient temp during the winter vs summer I guess. Seems like a waste of an expensive product to be honest and a bit of a danger if something gets left on. A pallet can raise it up if need be or something high end if you prefer.
How much more light? 2 650 watt leds 4 50watt IR bars 2 50 watt uv bars. I mean I could go 800. .but will the additional watts give me any added temp controll? that adds roughly 500 to the cost probably will but Radiant heat role is 150$ for a 1.5x9 or 3x5 roughly same price. Cement board 2x4 11$×5 55 255 caulk. Guess I could just put an old fashioned 1000watt HPS in there for like 150 nowdays. May all just be overkill. I could put the lights up this weekend and everything balances out perfectly.. Strictly hypothetical at this point.

Smithers

Smithers

I'm in a garage space with steel studs framing the grow. And plenty of close outlets to wire Into.. Floor is concrete.. Im thinking dont cheap out on laminate radiant heat. But get the kind for tile. Sandwich it between the garage floor and 1/2in cement board. To the edges. Which I can just seal with caulk. And then maybe top that with just stick down tile.. not sure about the covering in that scenario
I have an electric underlayment system (yet to be installed) for tile I’ve been waiting for the next reno project... It was meant for my wife’s cold feet in the bathroom. FYI, the stuff i have Ditra-Heat, is not rated to warm the room, only to provide a warm feel for the tile surface. The room would be required to have suplimental heat to be legit. Apparently they don’t transfer much heat because (at least mine) operates at a fairly low temperature.

What style radiant tile are you looking at? Electric?

Dabward

Dabward

Do you mean it cannot do heat at one zone while at the same time cool the other zone? Or heat a zone while the AC is on within that zone?

I’m looking into upgrading to a mini split in the future and will need to research picking one someday. Curious what features are best/needed
Yes that is exactly what I mean. So if I want to cool my veg . while heat my flower I couldn't do it. And this is a Mitsubishi minisplit top of the line here. With the kumo cloud and independent wireless sensors. If you wanted to run 2 separately by any brand you need 2 seperate outdoor units.. I spent a solid month reading and researching and bugging the hell out of my HVAC friend before he finally convinced me to go mitsu. I am very happy I spent the few extra $.

DankNugz420

DankNugz420

I seen in 1Diesel1 thread he used one of those heated foot pads with thermostat you stand on like an anti fatigue mat. Used under or in a 4x4 tent. I dunno if this helps but somethin to chew on anyway lol how big an area you workin with for the plants?

Smithers

Smithers

Yes that is exactly what I mean. So if I want to cool my veg . while heat my flower I couldn't do it. And this is a Mitsubishi minisplit top of the line here. With the kumo cloud and independent wireless sensors. If you wanted to run 2 separately by any brand you need 2 seperate outdoor units.. I spent a solid month reading and researching and bugging the hell out of my HVAC friend before he finally convinced me to go mitsu. I am very happy I spent the few extra $.
That’s a really good bit of info for me to know right now. I would have thought 2 zones meant full control of both even in opposition. Makes sense tho.

What about a ceramic wall mounted panel heater, or a small space heater on a separate temp controller?

Dabward

Dabward

I have an electric underlayment system (yet to be installed) for tile I’ve been waiting for the next reno project... It was meant for my wife’s cold feet in the bathroom. FYI, the stuff i have Ditra-Heat, is not rated to warm the room, only to provide a warm feel for the tile surface. The room would be required to have suplimental heat to be legit. Apparently they don’t transfer much heat because (at least mine) operates at a fairly low temperature.

What style radiant tile are you looking at? Electric?
Yeah I've seen the recirculating water heated ones in action those are sweet. And will heat a whole house almost from a basement.. But alas no I'm 10k deep in this project already. And I still need to pickup flowering lights friday and Co2 gear. I just started looking into it this morning. I was just looking at something cheap like below.. maybe cement board over it caulked to the edges to keep water out and then something to cover it. That way I don't have to tile this space maybe.. But if you are saying it's just going to basically heat the floor to the touch and not the room it might be nice for the roots.. but if its not going to give me the controll I desire ..

LuxHeat 20 Sqft Mat Kit, 120v Electric Radiant Floor Heating System for Under tile​

Dabward

Dabward

That’s a really good bit of info for me to know right now. I would have thought 2 zones meant full control of both even in opposition. Makes sense tho.

What about a ceramic wall mounted panel heater, or a small space heater on a separate temp controller?
Valid bro. I'm over here over thinking this to death... maybe just a small ceramic heater would probably give me whatever few degrees I may need. Thank you..

Dabward

Dabward

I seen in 1Diesel1 thread he used one of those heated foot pads with thermostat you stand on like an anti fatigue mat. Used under or in a 4x4 tent. I dunno if this helps but somethin to chew on anyway lol how big an area you workin with for the plants?
6x8 for flower. I'll check that out thnx

JJS009

JJS009

I would use a ceramic type space heater with an external thermostat control (inkbird makes one along with many others). The problem you are going to run into with the electric mat is the concrete heatsink under it, it is going to suck all of the heat that mat can put out well before it heats the room. FYI this is my 22nd year in HVAC so I’m not just talking out of my ass

Dabward

Dabward

I would use a ceramic type space heater with an external thermostat control (inkbird makes one along with many others). The problem you are going to run into with the electric mat is the concrete heatsink under it, it is going to suck all of the heat that mat can put out well before it heats the room. FYI this is my 22nd year in HVAC so I’m not just talking out of my ass
Thanks!. Yeah this idea is dead.. .

Top Bottom