Rain is coming

• Thread starter purpleberry
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
purpleberry

purpleberry

I guess the rain is coming to CA and most of whats left outside will get cut. I have a few plants that need a few weeks to really finish. Should I cover them when the rain comes or let them get a shower? They are not super dense like the mendo purp plants i have would mold easy, they already have where the worms got them. I can probally put up a few poles and put a tent over them with plastic, just not sure what people do when rain comes and plants arent done. :icon_dizzy:

R

revolutionseeds

Premium Member
Supporter
Well, at the time of me writing this and depending on where your at, you have less then 24 hrs. to figure out what your going to do. I would hate to see you learn some hard lessons, primarily how destructive rain is to plants. You definately need to cover them. I suggest painters plastic and not the really thin shit that rips, 3 mil or better. You don't want the plastic to touch the buds because they can't breathe and will begin to rot. So, stick some bamboo in the ground, higher then your plants and you should put tennis balls or something similar on the end of the bamboo so it doesn't poke through your plastic, which will crush your plants. Now leave the bottom 3ft-4ft open all the way around the plant to allow it to breathe. Yes, rain will snap every branch on your ladies and drop them to the ground, so take storms seriously or they will seriously break your heart.

500lbs Guerilla

500lbs Guerilla

Depending on where you are in Cali, its not just rain thats coming, but some pretty powerful winds too. Its an actual storm this time, and a tent might get blown away.

mr. chunky nugz

mr. chunky nugz

yessir shes a coming!! humboldt is supposed to get wacked, glad im in a greenhouse..just gota flip on the dehuey

purpleberry

purpleberry

Thanks for the help guys, I will cover them tomorrow. I hate to cut early and some of these girls need 1-2 weeks. Im building a cold frame next year.............

K

KushMaster707

i just had to cut my last girl down yesterday probably 2 weeks early or so, i still got some bad mold on it tho from the super thick fogs that have been comin in.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I was going to warn people but seems you all know.Rain up to 1 inch an hour! Wind 35-60 mph! Monday night -weds! It`s a big one! If you do try to chance it Stake up the plants well and run tape or strong twine down fron the top of the stake to suport branches well! Not sure plastic will stay on but worth a try.Stake the bottem of the plastic well.Good luck to all! I only have to worry about power going out. No out door this year!

bodhi seeds

bodhi seeds

ive been down in the garden for hours tying up the malawis, looks like they wont be done till nov, i guess we will get to see how mold resistant africans are. still dreaming of that automatic light depo greenhouse. good luck and many blessings looks, like its gonna get wet and windy.

707style

I can't imagine trying to keep a crop safe in these kinds of winds. Hope everyone is ready for it. I'd be glad to help anyone in need.

B

BayAreasFinest

the past 14 hours its been pouring where i am with some crazy winds. went out and staked up and covered my plants. hoping they are safe

fractal

fractal

I totally underestimated this storm and yet managed to rescue the crop. Only lost a pound or three at most in broken branches and what I would have gained having the chemdogs out another week or two.

Totally underestimated the damage that rain can do, before the wind even kicked up all my indicas were getting crumpled. Spent all day today from 7.30 am until an hour ago, wrangling plants and hanging up a barn full, along with dehumidifiers and fans and a stove to warm the place.

Luckily also my friend who is in on the project rushed over from the coast to assist. Without help I would have lost at least ten pounds of bud. As it is, my seeds are likely not ripe yet which is a disappointment to say the least!

I got off easy for my first year. Didn't lose much and I learned so much! Mostly, outdoor growing is a GAMBLE. You cannot count on another two weeks of sunshine once fall kicks into gear.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
This was not a normal fall storm! Hasn`t had this much rain sense 1962! Watch for bud rot and don`t let em get to warm while drying as that just helps mold set in. If staked up good I just let em ride out a normal rain.At the end of a storm the wind does a good job of drying things out.But this was not the usual early fall rain storm!

fractal

fractal

I knew this had to be something unusual. Valley weather is insane this far north! We went from 110 degrees to 50 and pounding rain within 3 weeks.

Wonder how BUTTE is doing, with the giant monster plants I assume in butte county. In his pics of the last crop they looked all trussed up and set to handle anything.

It was such a close call out here, too close for comfort. Hit me up mark when the blockhead is dry you just HAVE to try it!

mr. chunky nugz

mr. chunky nugz

yea im in humboldt i took all my outdoor down yesterday and left the greenhouses up.. theyll survive

Top Bottom