• Thread starter TheCoolestMan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey farmers

anyone here using rain water? i just noticed my rain here is around 8 ph? Should i drop it down? my soil have a lot of dolomite will it help buffer the water?

G

guesswho

ph8 is a little high
I have around 6.5 here
I think you have to dop it down but let the more experienced members answer

jammie

jammie

yikes- i live in the mid atlantic region and i use rain water. my ph is 4.9. talk about acid rain. with nutes i start at 5.4 and rarely rises above 6.2 in dwc. i don't think i have ever needed ph down.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
ph8 is a little high
I have around 6.5 here
I think you have to dop it down but let the more experienced members answer

6,5 ? wow thats perfect bro...Im wondering is there is any organic ph down?

yikes- i live in the mid atlantic region and i use rain water. my ph is 4.9. talk about acid rain. with nutes i start at 5.4 and rarely rises above 6.2 in dwc. i don't think i have ever needed ph down.

I just use water only i do not add nuts in there i use a similar recipe than subcool super soil mix. Usualy i don't care bout ph, i heard it don't really matter with organic and that dolomie suposed to regulate the ph.

Will like to have the word of a expert on this one.

Thanks guesswho and jammie

4u2sm0ke

4u2sm0ke

Hellomy friend..Dont listen to whoever is saying not to worry about PH..IMO..its everything...I use rain water I collect and is also around 8..but when used with nutes Brings it right down to 6.7..Most nutes will change the PH so be sure to test after adding them. there are organic PH addjusters out there but I think they all Hipe..if ya have good organics why worry? I use ph up/down from the Fish store..way easier tocorrect PH useing these then lemon or vinager..lol..okay need togrow now..Get that PH down for soil to 6.4-7.0..and Hydro..5.3-5.8..hope this helps..take care and be sfae

:passingjoint:

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanks 4u2smoke

Actualy im not adding nutes to the water as i said so i can't not use nutes to bring down the ph. But im afraid using a none organic ph up/down will not be good for the bacterias in the soil.

M

MoHo

Actually, the TDS in rainwater is so low that you don't need to pH it. When the TDS of your water/solution is low, it will very easily take on the pH of the substances it comes into contact with.

Peace-

MoHo

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Very Interesting MoHo.

First i did't knew what TDS standed for. I went on google and i found out that it means Total Dissolved Solids.

Hey MoHo i hope u don't mind going in more details about this TDS and PH matter?

Thanks

M

MoHo

Hey Coolest... I saw your post at ICMag... the guys there will be able to answer your question and explain better than I. Just always remember that a solution being buffered or not is largely a function of its TDS.

O

oldtimer60

Some thoughts about rainwater. If it is collected from a roof through gutters, people should be aware of some of the chemicals used in making the gutters and the roofing material. Asfalt, among others. If they are really old it could be asbestos among others. If the water collected through a rain collector then your good to go. Just a thought

winta

winta

whats good my dude! im not an expert but i have had a similar situation. i would get a cup of your soil and pour the rain water through it and test the run off to see if it goes up down or anything from there youll know how much PHin u have to do if any! hope that helps

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

Some thoughts about rainwater. If it is collected from a roof through gutters, people should be aware of some of the chemicals used in making the gutters and the roofing material. Asfalt, among others. If they are really old it could be asbestos among others. If the water collected through a rain collector then your good to go. Just a thought

all roofing material containting mastic (which is used on all asphalt roof, which I would say nearly everyone has on there house) will contain asbestos.

TheCoolestMan

TheCoolestMan

Premium Member
Supporter
Simply some brick clay and metal gutters...I will clean them well befor using the system.

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

hey I seen the rainwater collection drums at home depot the other day are those the one you have? It seems like it could be very usefull.

LordDankinstien

LordDankinstien

yes I am!!! Those are pretty cool, im sure you could plumb somthing up for a bit cheaper but for a all in one unit I like them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom