rainwater ph high

• Thread starter cruzin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cruzin

cruzin

Ive collected rainwater from off my barn roof and it goes into a big plastic storage tank and the ph is 10.0 Id like to use the water but ph is too high. I think that the ph is so high because of being stored in the tank. Any thoughts? citric acid is pretty cheap should I ph it down and use it. My well water is around 7.

Last edited:
mancorn

mancorn

Ive collected rainwater from off my barn roof and it goes into a big plastic storage tank and the ph is 10.0 Id like to use the water but ph is too high. I think that the ph is so high because of being stored in the tank. Any thoughts? citric acid is pretty cheap should I ph it down and use it. My well water is around 7.
What’s the roofing material and age? Easy enough to throw up a piece of plastic, catch some rain and compare the ph and ppm between your roof water and plastic catch.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Water is def not a renewal resource. That's why it illegal to use some places. There is probably something leaching into your tank. I doubt the roof would have anything to do with it unless something was sprayed on it even then the rain water only touched it for at the most 3 seconds.

Google search for a water supply store say culligan man if in Ontario. Call them out to have your tap water tested they will test your rain water too

I use rain water for my dwc but I add cal mag obviously my water tested pH of 6.8 and ppm of 8.

Unless your in a heavily populated and polluted city like LA where acid rain could be the problem (not sure about alkaline rain tho).

Have you considered a possible microb problem? That would be my first place I'd start. Some how sterilize your holding tank with hydroguard or enzyme complete even high dose of h202.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Water is def not a renewal resource. That's why it illegal to use some places. There is probably something leaching into your tank. I doubt the roof would have anything to do with it unless something was sprayed on it even then the rain water only touched it for at the most 3 seconds.

Google search for a water supply store say culligan man if in Ontario. Call them out to have your tap water tested they will test your rain water too

I use rain water for my dwc but I add cal mag obviously my water tested pH of 6.8 and ppm of 8.

Unless your in a heavily populated and polluted city like LA where acid rain could be the problem (not sure about alkaline rain tho).

Have you considered a possible microb problem? That would be my first place I'd start. Some how sterilize your holding tank with hydroguard or enzyme complete even high dose of h202.

Google is water a renewable resource.. you'll get 1000 links all telling the same thing.. Its considered a renewable resource . . . I dunno where you get its not lol

Before we get into how the planet gives us the constant luxury of drinking water without resource depletion, we will explain you a renewable energy resource is.

Renewable resource or renewable energy resource is any substance which has the ability to naturally increase its amount through various biological processes even with it constantly being utilized by the human population. So even if we are using these resources, we don’t need to worry about them eventually running out like fossil fuels because they have the ability to replenish themselves. Other than Water; solar energy, geothermal energy, wind energy, biomass and air are all examples of renewable energy resources. The most important factor concerning with all renewable energy resources is the time taken for them to replenish once again.

The fact that water is a renewable resource is a blessing for us as it can replenish itself again and again over time but that doesn’t mean that we take it for granted and not give water the importance that it deserves. This is because if a resource is over utilized and human activities are not sustainable, we may lose the renewability of that resource and face serious repercussions because of this.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
I work in the water conservation industry. 100% non renewable. The water cycle nothing in the article explained how water is created! It evaporates then condenses ok how is that making water?

The water I drink is used up and what's left is non drinkable! Yes with human innovation we can purify pur water.

In what process naturally found on earth that free roaming hydrogen atoms are smash@g into a pair of oxygen atoms?

There's an easy way to determine weigh your grey water and the purified water you extract. Wood is renewable new trees grow. The water cycle does not make water it distributes it.

PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

I work in the water conservation industry. 100% non renewable. The water cycle nothing in the article explained how water is created! It evaporates then condenses ok how is that making water?

The water I drink is used up and what's left is non drinkable! Yes with human innovation we can purify pur water.

In what process naturally found on earth that free roaming hydrogen atoms are smash@g into a pair of oxygen atoms?

There's an easy way to determine weigh your grey water and the purified water you extract. Wood is renewable new trees grow. The water cycle does not make water it distributes it.

Science and stuff.

PlumberSoCal2

PlumberSoCal2

I too collect rain water but off an asphalt roof the pH is around 10. I don't use it. Tap is 7.

chemistry

chemistry

My rainwater comes from shed roof with grit tar cloth covering, and my water butt's PH is 7.

Glassdub

Glassdub

My AC & dehumidifier run off water pH runs mid 3 to 4 with a ppm of about 20-30.

cruzin

cruzin

I let the water stand overnight and checked it again and found 8.2 ph.

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Well a computer model must be right. Just because the earth can make minor amounts of water from scratch is hardly proof of a renewable resource.

On that hand its amazing how much we don't know about our own home or yourselfs.

To truly be considered renewable would mean it replenished as fast or faster than we can use it.

In that sense being only 3% of all the water one the planet is potable by definition its non renewable.

Either way I live in the only country that could be self sustaining because 2.99% of that fresh water is here in Canada.

America alone uses billions of gallons of potable water just to water crops and landscapes per day. Now the hypothesis about renewable water of course is vague and not convincing to me at all because I doubt even the scientist who wrote that article would believe the world renews that kind of galanage that it is indeed non renewable simply because we use it 1000times fasterthen it could possibly be renewed.

Of course I'll hang on to my diploma and I'll still argue my side of the debate because plain and simple millions arewithout.

When the tru worth of water comes to light not a single person on this forum will be able to afford to waste water watering there grass if any of is will even be able to afford to drink it.

My rain water comes off a steel roof thankfully

My tap water at the tap is at 750ppm hard is not the word for it more like diamond water pH of 7 tho.

I'm gonna look into the water being created on the earth tho because if I've learned anything in my short time on this planet is you can't trust anything or anyone. One supposed published article about a hypothesis is hardly considered a fact. The reason water is considered renewable is the fact when it evaporates they consider it off world then when it falls back to earth that's renewed. With new tech the 3% will get bigger.

I can say I believe Martians have never been here on earth I believe they out there but not here because simply one of the rarest things in the universe is life sustaining liquid water and if Martians found earth they will kill us off to take the water.

weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
It is possible for water to be essentially useless when bound to certain tenacious elements, such as arsenic. It is quite expensive to remove and commonly occurs naturally in groundwater. Southeast Oregon has this problem with groundwater - and towns there have run out of money to remove the arsenic. There is a reason why land is relatively cheap in some places. Using that groundwater for topside farming just distributes the problem nearer to the user at the surface. Good usable water is becoming harder to obtain as we invent new compounds that find their way into waterways and groundwater. RO isn't all that helpful since you now have a disposal problem with the concentrate that results - that has all that bad shit you wanted to avoid.

Latest posts

Top Bottom