Raised beds and fowl?

• Thread starter tj Wise
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tj Wise

tj Wise

I've got ducks, chickens, and a turkey. Who can I trust around my raised beds? They hunt for bugs all day long, and really squawk when they seem something strange. But will any of them damage my plants?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yep. My birds use my beds for dirt baths right now. They'll be rather unhappy when they're locked out of those areas, but oh well! Can't say what ducks or turkeys will do.

Do you raise heritage birds?

tj Wise

tj Wise

I'm not sure what the chickens are... two reds and two tawny gold/reds, all great egg layers. Rhode Island Reds, I think... I wanted to get two chickens as a trial... but I made two large mistakes: I went a week before Easter, and I went with the whole family. Yeah. Anyway, maybe I can get enough mulch to let the birds co-exist in the garden... hmm....

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Don't plan on it with chickens. You should see what they've done to a 2' thick bed of wood chips in two areas on our property. Pretty much ALL moved.

sox

sox

How tall are the beds?
our ducks cant get into the beds or pots...they cant even get into the kiddie pool i got them without help... but i bet they would do damage if they could...i fed them some trim and nugs this one time and they ate it quicker than anything i have ever seen in my life...and def wanted more.

tj Wise

tj Wise

okay, i wont ever leave them unattended.... i may let them in just to vacuum up the ground floor bugs but eith extreem caution even then. THANX EVERYONE!

Top Bottom