Raising healthy mother's - need help!

• Thread starter Critical Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Critical Kid

I am about to start raising some mothers for the second time. My first go did not turn out so well, they became stretched and lanky real fast! I am not sure the exact name of the strain I am using, but I am told it is in the White Widow family. I have no space issues and my goal is to cultivate mothers that can produce a ton of cuttings as often as possible. (400 every 10-14 days would be optimal) I have started several mothers in 4 inch rockwool cubes and they are about 6inches tall at the moment. As I am sure you senior farmers can tell I am a novice so I need all the help/info I can get!

Aligee

Aligee

i highly recommend using smartpots youll be rewarded with beautiful canna plants !!!

B

bastard_x

You want your mothers 4 - 6 inches under cfl lights probly 20 hrs of light a day is good. The key to mothering is where and how you take your cuts. They can easily get out of control making many small leaf sets that will not clone as easy. Remember when you trim one tip off two or three will come back in a couple weeks so make your cuts strategically and keep the growth spread to a minimum of main branches . I would not recommend starting your mothers in a hydro system because the fact that you probly wouldnt want your mothers stuck in the same system for 5 plus years but the mothers do get tired eventually. You will want to place them in large containers like 17 gal rubbermade totes ( non transparent plastic so light doesnt contact the root system) drill lots of holes for drainage use soil or substrate .
I think 400 cuts off one plant in two weeks is a little ridiculous. You would probably need more like 6 mother plants about 5 foot tall to produce that many cuts that fast. unless you grew your 1 mother to emense perportions before you really started to take cuts. I might add that depending on laws where you live that is risky buisness without being permitted by the goverment to do so in such quantity. Where i live in California you would have to be a medi club owner to legally posess that many. Hope you can find some of this info usefull . bastard_x

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

i use Mother Plant nutrients and soiless

it's cheap like $20 and enough to keep about 10 moms happy for 6 months or so. 3-4 ts per gal of each part and my ph lands in a safe zone with no adjustment every time. it's suppose to help cuttings pop faster due to the cell wall structure promoted by the nutrient ratio and by not having to much N. idk if it really makes a difference but for the price and simplistic mixing and the healthy moms i have its worth it IMO.

C

Critical Kid

I think 400 cuts off one plant in two weeks is a little ridiculous. You would probably need more like 6 mother plants about 5 foot tall to produce that many cuts that fast. unless you grew your 1 mother to emense perportions before you really started to take cuts. I might add that depending on laws where you live that is risky buisness without being permitted by the goverment to do so in such quantity. Where i live in California you would have to be a medi club owner to legally posess that many. Hope you can find some of this info usefull . bastard_x

I wasnt planning on getting that many cuts of 1 mother LoL!

...and thank God I dont live in the states, your laws are crazy!

B

Buddy Hemphill

whatever you do, dont feed them silica...

ask me how I know....lol...

G

green bastard1

400 seemway to many for one mother, try lst your mother it helps large.

cannabeans

cannabeans

baby steps......

I am about to start raising some mothers for the second time. My first go did not turn out so well, they became stretched and lanky real fast! I am not sure the exact name of the strain I am using, but I am told it is in the White Widow family. I have no space issues and my goal is to cultivate mothers that can produce a ton of cuttings as often as possible. (400 every 10-14 days would be optimal) I have started several mothers in 4 inch rockwool cubes and they are about 6inches tall at the moment. As I am sure you senior farmers can tell I am a novice so I need all the help/info I can get!

question???
how do you plan on keeping 400 cuttings alive if you cant keep the parent plant heathy! i think u might want to start smaller!!!! just a quick thought!!!

B

Buddy Hemphill

Silica made my cuts hard as a rock, shitty clones...I am prolly gonna flower them and start some new ones. I cut them back alot to see how they do...we'll see.

M

mdTHC420

Silica made my cuts hard as a rock, shitty clones...I am prolly gonna flower them and start some new ones. I cut them back alot to see how they do...we'll see.

so the silica woodys up the stems making it harder for them to root and survive? good to know, i have a few mum bonsai and ill try a side by side on my LAC or something to see how it differs with and without

O

Original Grower

make sure they get enough calmaga and overall ppm once established. the older they are the more they can handle. i never use silica on veggers, but sounds great for your mother stock. superthrive or other auxin type additives will thicken up yer ladies too. a good foliar spray after harvesting slips will help tons with rejuvination, peace, og

Top Bottom